Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone purchased and set up the Home Version of the Starling Satellite system? I see that both Home Depot and Costco are offering at $599 with a $120 a month fee for internet service. If you have, general impressions? Thinking of doing the same.
Sponsored

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I did awhile back when I only had PTP service. I live outside of city limits, so no providers were running newer broadband to our house. It worked great and that was during the very early adoption period. After that came out, 2 providers came thru and ran Fiber, so I sold my system to a friend that lives on an Indian Reservation in Arizona. He still has it and love it. He games on it, etc. If you don't have good choices for home Internet, it is amazing. If you have options for fiber or even coax, it won't be as good.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I started using Starlink April 2022. Very reliable, no issues. Site is rural southwest Colorado. No alternatives at this location.

Prior to Starlink, we used HughesNet: slow and expensive.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
My mother-in-law lives in a condo where her only option is DSL. I bought her Starlink and she loves the speed, has yet to have an outage, and it just works. It ain't cheap, but it works.

cybercoffee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYLR
Country flag
I have Starlink as a backup to cable in a suburb of LA. no fiber in my area yet. Starlink is blazing fast even when it's slow.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Works pretty good. Just not cheap.

EMoeller

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsches (992 Turbo S, 993 Turbo, 993 Targa) Prius
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Starlink now has a mobile system (both land and marine based). It is expensive ($2500/either $150 or $250/month) but would allow (apparently) continuous internet while moving.

Wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience with this new system, and more importantly with the CT/CB? I DID watch the Tesla Baja video that showed Starlink - but that is the only thing I could find so far.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
If you are in a rural area you can NOT beat starlink, you will get small outages during weather events and the upload speed is not great, but if you are in the middle of nowhere it is AWSOME.
If you are in an area with fiber, cable, 5g etc you can likely get way better internet service for $120mo

But if you are out in the sticks Starlink can not be beat

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
I just order a system for my parents; I will be installing it next week. Standby for the after-action report.

EMoeller

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Yes, I'm rural with really poor cell coverage. A local ISP charges over $100/m for less than 100/20Mb down/up. Starlink would be a little more but it seems like I might get double the speeds. So it is 50/50 for me to get Starlink now, but if my CB could use it when I travel/camp that would sway me to go all in on Starlink.

alex454

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Tech Executive
Country flag
I have very poor cell coverage at my home and I use Starlink as backup internet for my Spectrum Service. I have a critical business need for internet access at home to be productive. Since my Spectrum services runs above ground, except in the neighborhood, on very old power polls, it goes down frequently. I also loose Spectrum if the power goes out. I am using an Ubiquiti UDM-PRO SE to handle failover between Spectrum and Starlink, both operating in bridge-mode. Spectrum is the only land provider and I am required to have pay for Spectrum as part of my HOA. When running on Starlink, it works very well and much better than cell. It is not perfect, but almost unnoticeable compared to Spectrum.

EMoeller

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Thanks for this info. Very helpful in helping me make the leap to Starlink.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Starlink now has a mobile system (both land and marine based). It is expensive ($2500/either $150 or $250/month) but would allow (apparently) continuous internet while moving.

Wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience with this new system, and more importantly with the CT/CB? I DID watch the Tesla Baja video that showed Starlink - but that is the only thing I could find so far.
They also have an aircraft version. It's only (make sure you're sitting down)...

$25,000

A MONTH!

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Thanks for this info. Very helpful in helping me make the leap to Starlink.
There are different Starlink plans for different uses. The basic are home and roam (which allows for operation from different fixed sites)
And under the BUsiness Plan there's land mobile, which allows operation while mobile, it's $250/mo.

Yes, there is a GPS in the device and yes, they know if you are fixed or mobile, at home or not.
I believe that it is a different dish for mobile use.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yes, I'm rural with really poor cell coverage. A local ISP charges over $100/m for less than 100/20Mb down/up. Starlink would be a little more but it seems like I might get double the speeds. So it is 50/50 for me to get Starlink now, but if my CB could use it when I travel/camp that would sway me to go all in on Starlink.
Try it....I am confident you will be impressed.
Sponsored