Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P85D, Model Y LR
Occupation
IT Manager
Country flag
What's gonna stop smaller cars from using those nice big spots
Same thing that prevents smaller cars from using pull-through SuC today... nothing. People are ignorant.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, Nikki over at Transport Evolved was pointing that out in Discord. Still, I think it's a start. We're just not used to 35 foot trailers. I swear, a guy was upset that the closest Skip's couldn't even change the trailer's tires while I was there getting the check engine light cleared. Second time getting a vape alert; I'm hoping it's just the loose gas cap.

-Crissa

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yeah, Nikki over at Transport Evolved was pointing that out in Discord. Still, I think it's a start. We're just not used to 35 foot trailers. I swear, a guy was upset that the closest Skip's couldn't even change the trailer's tires while I was there getting the check engine light cleared. Second time getting a vape alert; I'm hoping it's just the loose gas cap.

-Crissa
Get a $20 Bluetooth/Wifi OBD2 port reader if your car isn't under warranty anymore to clear the code yourself. You can also leave it plugged in and use it to diagnose. I recommend buying Torque Pro as the app, have been using for nearly a decade now.

Jimf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Y awd lr "Curiosity", 2018 3 awd lr "sunrun"
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
wouldn't angled pull through charging stations be more efficient of space, with more narrow enter/exit lanes? plus fifo waiting line works better?

Jimf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Y awd lr "Curiosity", 2018 3 awd lr "sunrun"
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Tesla superchargers could be smart about allowing short cars to charge in long truck/trailer accommodating charger spaces.
Simple message- "Please charge at an available single car space and leave this space for a longer vehicle!" this could even use the car's own vision and parking space awareness and be a preemptive message as you pull in!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
wouldn't angled pull through charging stations be more efficient of space, with more narrow enter/exit lanes? plus fifo waiting line works better?
That station is huge to begin with, already accommodating a ton of RV/trailer traffic between CA and AZ. It's at the edge of the desert. There's no need to conserve land at all.

The same lot also has a couple dozen standard car SCs too. It's one of two favorite stops on the way to/from CA. Quartzsite and the Terrible Herbst is another. No trailer spaces there, but there's a row of SCs away from the main ones that could be parked across. Never seen one in use.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That station is huge to begin with, already accommodating a ton of RV/trailer traffic between CA and AZ. It's at the edge of the desert. There's no need to conserve land at all.

The same lot also has a couple dozen standard car SCs too. It's one of two favorite stops on the way to/from CA. Quartzsite and the Terrible Herbst is another. No trailer spaces there, but there's a row of SCs away from the main ones that could be parked across. Never seen one in use.
You likely would only see them in use when there's a rare labor day traffic jam. I've been stuck out there. It's no fun ^-^

Build for peak use, not typical, of course.

-Crissa

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
We’ve seen some that are medium friendly, but this one is just outright perfect for towing or if you have a bike rack.

1660958137715.png

FajornCUcAAuhah (1).jpeg
Driving through Idaho and Montana I was pleasantly surprised that the Superchargers were only about 20% occupied. Both days were Saturday.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Driving through Idaho and Montana I was pleasantly surprised that the Superchargers were only about 20% occupied. Both days were Saturday.
Same experience I've had on the AZ-CA route, even on weekends and holidays. There's one tiny SC at a critical spot that sometimes only has an open space or two, but mostly has more. Quartzsite is so ridiculously oversized for the current need, as is Morongo. The busiest holiday weekend that I observed in Quartzsite was maybe 50% full.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Morongo CA has had long pull-through spots for a while. It's a common stop for RVs and trailers already (gas and diesel).

1661189135195.jpeg
I just realized the moderator edited my title so it now says “The First…” which is obviously not the case. We’ve talked about the ones in Morago a while ago. I was just posting these because I thought they looked a little better laid out… but now looking again I don’t even thing that’s the case.

It is nice to see more of these stations going in though.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Weird edit, I wonder why. Moderation can be pretty heavy handed here and one-sided with no ability to discuss it.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Weird edit, I wonder why. Moderation can be pretty heavy handed here and one-sided with no ability to discuss it.
When they promote threads to features I’ve seen them edit it before. Usually just removing some of my puntastic titles. This is the only time I’ve seen them make the title measurably worse.
Sponsored