Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Sorry if I am interrupting the fascinating conversation the daytime you and the night time you are having. I think both of you are correct. The guy probably went through the comments on his channel or other CT hubs and recycled them as a list to get a reaction. It worked and that is OK. Most of what we are discussing here is like talking about weather. The conversation has little to no impact on the subject. It is all to fill the gap between now and then and may be to get a bit of education in the process. Uncertainty is just another thing to help us enjoy the ride. If you see sunlight when you are reading this, read it again a little later ;)
but isnt it a beautiful day? :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
the lack of batteries could have only a victim in Tesla production line: the Semi. A Semi eats up so many batteries that Tesla could just scrap the project and focus on cars only (if I recall correctly, you can power 8 Model Y with 1 Semi's batteries alone).
the CT is going to be extremely profitable and fast to produce: I think that when the factories are ready to produce them, they will be the most profitable veichle Tesla makes. So I doubt batteries will be a problem

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
I can't wait to tow my Grady White with my CT!

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
While the points mentioned in the video are worth being aware of and worth consideration, I think the real major bottlenecks will be: 1) insufficient battery supply; and 2) chip shortages.
Chip shortages? I must’ve missed that part. I do agree with the batteries being the biggest hurdle. I’m sure the exoskeleton will stay the same since Elon mentioned the ‘no door handle’ comment recently.

alight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Chip shortages? I must’ve missed that part. I do agree with the batteries being the biggest hurdle. I’m sure the exoskeleton will stay the same since Elon mentioned the ‘no door handle’ comment recently.
Chip shortages have been hurting the entire automotive industry, so if it hurts Tesla it will not be worse than the other manufacturers.

I don't expect that it will change from the stainless steel exoskeleton, for several reasons but foremost is that one big reason for using the stainless steel is to benefit from economies of scale - not for the CT, but for Starship. Making large batches instead of a small batch brings down the per unit cost of the alloy.

And it is Starship, after all, that requires a special alloy that will handle both very cold and very hot temperatures. Cybertruck could be made of pot metal and it would still be suitable for most purposes.

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
Chip shortages have been hurting the entire automotive industry, so if it hurts Tesla it will not be worse than the other manufacturers.

I don't expect that it will change from the stainless steel exoskeleton, for several reasons but foremost is that one big reason for using the stainless steel is to benefit from economies of scale - not for the CT, but for Starship. Making large batches instead of a small batch brings down the per unit cost of the alloy.

And it is Starship, after all, that requires a special alloy that will handle both very cold and very hot temperatures. Cybertruck could be made of pot metal and it would still be suitable for most purposes.
agreed... the alloy was one of the most exciting features for me...

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
<SNIP>
Cybertruck could be made of pot metal and it would still be suitable for most purposes.
There’s a reason potmetal earned it moniker. Cybertruck would go to pot once rolled off the showroom floor. LOL

Used as a hood ornament potmetal corroded, broke apart and fell into disuse even for that. SO _any_thing on a SSalloy Cybertruck that is not stainless steel will be a failure point if exposed to areas of stress, impact or the elements.

speach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS P100D, Escalade, Acura MDX, Focus ST, PriusC
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I can't wait to tow my Grady White with my CT!
Absolutely. I have a wakeboard boat, and I look forward to dropping it in the water at the ramp, causing something of a fuss for LA. (that's Lower Alabama).

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
While I don't like armchair hazard analysis, I will respond. Higher insurance costs are a given. Exoskeliton (unibody) construction has been around for a very, very long time. Most vehicles that experience severe collisions are considered totaled, unibody or body on frame. The strength of the engineering/materials reduce this hazard. I will be beating the crap out of the tri-motor pulling a 5 ton excavator. I expect hammers, chains, rocks and other objects to contact the vehicle. It will fair better than my partners $95,000 Duramax which also gets the crap beat out of it. Depending on which survey, 33 to 57 percent of all full sized pickups sold are used commercially. Tesla knows this and I doubt the design will change. On a side note, we cross a very narrow mile long bridge across the Columbia river between Washington and Oregon. People slap mirrors on it daily with some going to the ER at my wife's hospital. I really hope the mirrors stay off the CT. I would love to know how much broken glass is under the Hood River Bridge.

OP
OP

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
If you are that concerned cancel your Reservation! Don't have a Reservation? Then who cares what you are throwing out there worrywart.

None of this is about cancelling a reservation. We get hyped up with news for the CT, and often can fall into an overly optimistic bias towards a lot of things when it comes to production of this behemoth. I think looking at videos that seek to put out more grounded expectations (or even slightly pessimistic expectations) allows a healthy balance.

Everyone on this forum is likely hoping for the best outcome, we all want to get that email from Tesla asking us to finalize our order.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
While I don't like armchair hazard analysis, I will respond. Higher insurance costs are a given. Exoskeliton (unibody) construction has been around for a very, very long time. Most vehicles that experience severe collisions are considered totaled, unibody or body on frame. The strength of the engineering/materials reduce this hazard. I will be beating the crap out of the tri-motor pulling a 5 ton excavator. I expect hammers, chains, rocks and other objects to contact the vehicle. It will fair better than my partners $95,000 Duramax which also gets the crap beat out of it. Depending on which survey, 33 to 57 percent of all full sized pickups sold are used commercially. Tesla knows this and I doubt the design will change. On a side note, we cross a very narrow mile long bridge across the Columbia river between Washington and Oregon. People slap mirrors on it daily with some going to the ER at my wife's hospital. I really hope the mirrors stay off the CT. I would love to know how much broken glass is under the Hood River Bridge.
You're not kidding, I know that bridge! We're in a big Ford E250 van trying to pass by these guys.

Tesla Cybertruck Tailosive EV: "Why I'm Worried About the Cybertruck" 20170824_134429
Sponsored