Tesla’s Elon Musk highlights Cybertruck’s uniqueness, explains adoption of yoke

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Honestly, the yoke is one of the biggest things which makes me scratch my head about the truck. I've made peace with the handle-less door idea, but this is still a WTF thing. I just want to wait until I've actually used it for a week or two before passing judgement.

As someone mentioned. There is so much muscle memory on wipers, gear selector, and horn that it is going to take a long time for me to get used to that part. I've seen someone doing the swipe to switch from drive to reverse for a 3 point turn and it was a bit of a mess.
i hear ya. I truly do. It’s going to be one hell of a wild ride! ?
I’m charging my S now and I have been practicing for the yoke and I will be very fair here, I’m not truly having to Adjust much anyways. I always have my left on the wheel
And my right free. Turning has been pretty much thoughtless. Not kidding. It’s like why have the top
Part of wheel ?? for reallyz .
I’m pretty excited for this yoke will just make everything so much better. As for toggles etc. yea. This is going to be weird for sure. I find myself sometimes when I switch from S to 3?? different set up. I have to remind myself ok. Your in a different ride get on freeway and BAM I’m yanking and pushing and thinking wtf. Ohh. It’s my own dumbass!
?
Sponsored

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I will never have that problem anymore?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
When asked by a Tesla owner if there are any practical reasons for Tesla’s utilization of a steering yoke, Musk noted that round steering wheels ultimately block the screen.
But NOT on the CT, the screen is off the side.......

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
Worse case scenario is at least you know there will be aftermarket steering wheels like we’ve already seen for other Tesla models. So this really isn’t a big deal as far as I’m concerned.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Honestly, the yoke is one of the biggest things which makes me scratch my head about the truck. I've made peace with the handle-less door idea, but this is still a WTF thing. I just want to wait until I've actually used it for a week or two before passing judgement.

As someone mentioned. There is so much muscle memory on wipers, gear selector, and horn that it is going to take a long time for me to get used to that part. I've seen someone doing the swipe to switch from drive to reverse for a 3 point turn and it was a bit of a mess.
For people who drive multiple vehicles at home or work needing to train muscle memory is extra stress or might contribute to mistakes when switching between vehicles.

Even if Tesla had 100% working FSD this minute, there are still last mile or last 50 miles of roads that FSD may never handle. FSD will probably never be adequate for off-roading & over-landing, which one of the significant feature capability of Cybertruck.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Worse case scenario is at least you know there will be aftermarket steering wheels like we’ve already seen for other Tesla models. So this really isn’t a big deal as far as I’m concerned.
If the car/truck has a factory steering wheel, aftermarket steering wheels would probably be available.

If the car/truck has NO factory stalks you probably will never find aftermarket product unless Tesla supplies an interface for such devices.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla’s Elon Musk highlights Cybertruck’s uniqueness, explains adoption of yoke
CREDIT: U/X5AT_1/REDDIT
simon-alvarez-avatar-80x80.jpg

BySimon Alvarez
Posted on September 9, 2021

When asked by a Tesla owner if there are any practical reasons for Tesla’s utilization of a steering yoke, Musk noted that round steering wheels ultimately block the screen.
-----------

But NOT on the CT, the screen is off the side.......
Hmmm. Another inference from what Musk said would be that Cybertruck will have a driver's display too like the Models X/Y.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Nothing new in this article.

Nada

Simon had a deadline to meet and regurgitated his old articles.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Given Elon's comment, I hope this means that CT will have a dedicated driver's screen to monitor FSD / Autopilot, vehicle telemetry, and maybe even a video feed from that front bumper during off-road scenarios.

I'm all for the yoke (but haven't yet tried it) but fingers crossed that when CT is released it is with variable ratio steering. This would make the usability next-level. Elon hinted at doing this in the future but stated it was a few years out due to complication and other pressing priorities.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
All of this concern over the yoke and lack of buttons / stalks reminds me of 2017/18 when all you heard was that how can anyone drive with only a center screen in a model 3? It turned out that after a day or two of driving the M3 the fears and concerns were mostly gone as people became comfortable with something new.

Elon and Tesla are thinking way ahead into the future and have an understanding of how our future will be. Generally people fear change and if we left the future up to the people then our future would be boring imo.

When I hear concerns or fears about change in technology I also go back to Steve Jobs.

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.” Steve Jobs.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
All of this concern over the yoke and lack of buttons / stalks reminds me of 2017/18 when all you heard was that how can anyone drive with only a center screen in a model 3?
Model 3/ Y has dedicated controls for all of the essential functions you need to drive. The only big things I regularly use the console for is: Mapping, the trip computer, climate control, and media. I usually adjust any of that while stopped or in autopilot. None of that is essential to driving or emergencies though.

What we're talking about is the gear selector and drive mode selector (autopilot/ TACC), wipers, blinkers, and the horn which are all in fairly normal spots on the Model Y/ 3. What concerns me most is probably blinkers and wipers which are safety features which are being moved from a fixed position to a moving target.

As I said, I'm willing to give it a go, it is my biggest concern about car usability though. Without trying it... ?‍♂

Steve Jobs.
People love to quote Steve Jobs, but what people want to brush under the carpet is the fact that Apple had a fair number of dud products which customers bought and paid for. Also, a lot of their products and decisions are software based which can be remedied by a patch. You can't send out a software update to fix missing stalks.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla’s Elon Musk highlights Cybertruck’s uniqueness, explains adoption of yoke iu-3

Love Apple, and I've dodged most of their goofy products, but I do have several (now abandoned) overpriced but great sounding HomePods. I also have the frustrating MacBook Pro keyboard.

But I don't want to spend $50-70,000 on Tesla's equivalent to the Apple HiFi. Nor to I want controls people hate as passionately as the MacBook Pro keyboard of recent years.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I want to know what about a yoke makes it better for FSD? I would understand if it folded completely out of the way like one of the VW minbus prototypes a few years ago, but if it turns like current FSD I think it would be harder than a round wheel to avoid getting hit by the wheel as it spins around trying to back out of a parking space or something.
You feel like Buck Rogers arguing about human weapon targeting is superior to computer targeting.

I am guessing when holding the yoke with both hands, all functions are within easy reach versus drivers us lazy hand positions on s steering wheel. My guess is flawed because I will also use lazy hand positions on a yoke.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You feel like Buck Rogers arguing about human weapon targeting is superior to computer targeting.

I am guessing when holding the yoke with both hands, all functions are within easy reach versus drivers us lazy hand positions on s steering wheel. My guess is flawed because I will also use lazy hand positions on a yoke.
Just this:

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla’s Elon Musk highlights Cybertruck’s uniqueness, explains adoption of yoke Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.48.25 AM

The yoke is a featureless black surface, nothing to feel, you have to either memorize the locations or look at the wheel.

Actual buttons you can feel with your thumbs, something where you can just slide your thumb over, feel the center button and press up/ down/ middle/ right without looking down. I actually think most modern steering wheels like this one have too many controls, but it seems like Tesla goes too far the other way.
Sponsored