Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Via Teslarati

The Ford F-150 Lightning might be an extension of America’s best-selling workhorse and the GMC Hummer EV might be the electric iteration of a gas-guzzling monster, but it appears that the US electric pickup market is already looking towards its upcoming favorite. As per the results of a survey among US car buyers, it is the Tesla Cybertruck that stands to be the country’s most popular all-electric pickup truck.

The survey, which was aimed at determining consumers’ sentiment on electric cars, was conducted by automotive research and shopping website CarGurus. The survey was conducted online, and it involved respondents that were balanced in terms of key demographics in alignment with the US census. The results of the study were published in March 2021.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Cybertruck beats F-150 Lightning and Hummer EV in US electric truck survey tesla-cybertruck-survey

The respondents of the study were asked a variety of questions, one of which inquired if they were considering several electric trucks. The Cybertruck proved to be the most popular electric truck among the survey’s respondents, with 31% noting that they would consider the angular, brutalist steel truck. In comparison, 28% said that they would consider the Ford F-150 Lightning and 16% stated that they would consider the GMC Hummer EV.

Interestingly enough, the Cybertruck proved even more popular among respondents who were most likely to adopt electric vehicles. Among those who plan to own an EV within the decade, 40% stated that they were interested in the Tesla Cybertruck. This was quite impressive considering that 32% were interested in the Ford F-150 Lightning and only 17% noted that they were interested in the Hummer EV.
Sponsored

CyberROD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
Yeah, that's not going to last long if the Lightning is priced right. On top of that you have the Tundra bringing their electric. The Cybertruck will end up being a niche vehicle. Also, I think Elon has compromised the safety of people in this truck

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT-Tri Res, V10 Excursion, Victory Tour, Prius
Occupation
IT support, Development and Sys Admin
Country flag
I think the F-150 will be awesome and do really well. The Cybertruck will still be better in every metric and will probably outsell it for at least the first few years, if not forever.
I have little faith in the Electric Tundra, Toyota has been making some pretty dumb decisions regarding BEVs. If they make it happen it will probably be great, but I doubt we see it before 2028.

crimsonaudio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser, awaiting a CYBRTRK
Country flag
Ford? Priced right? And how many can they make?

Tesla is making 4 model Ys for every Mach E that's going to be built this year...
The F150 is Ford's bread-and-butter - if they truly want this to be successful they'll pour vast resources into it. I suspect they're just dipping their toe in the water, however, which won't make them nearly as formidable.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Based on Tesla's strategies in the past, I think we are likely to hear about our update CT very soon. In the past, Tesla has chosen to 'steal the thunder' from other companies when they have news about new vehicles or notable press events. Why let other companies steal the show when you can use their momentum to one up them!? They didn't do it with the Hummer because it's not a direct competitor. I could see them doing it now for the Ford event, or possibly when Rivian starts deliveries soon.

Either way, I think we are getting close

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The F150 is Ford's bread-and-butter - if they truly want this to be successful they'll pour vast resources into it. I suspect they're just dipping their toe in the water, however, which won't make them nearly as formidable.
Correction!!! F-150 ICE is Ford's bread-and-butter.

OOHMMM

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Range Rover, Volvo XC-70,
Occupation
Med-tech entrepreneur
Country flag
Yeah, that's not going to last long if the Lightning is priced right. On top of that you have the Tundra bringing their electric. The Cybertruck will end up being a niche vehicle. Also, I think Elon has compromised the safety of people in this truck
Please elaborate re:
Also, I think Elon has compromised the safety of people in this truck
Thanks

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yeah, that's not going to last long if the Lightning is priced right.
Not sure what you think the right price would be. If the price reflects better functionality with a higher price than the ICE version it will limit how many will be wanting to buy. If the price is comparable to ICE version lots of people will want one but the cost will still be way above CT. If the price is comparable to the CT it will be wildly popular but cannibalize the ICE version sales. The only way I see this getting priced right is if they have enough batteries to build more of these than the current ICE version, set the price below ICE but above CT, and sell all of them to people who don’t get the beauty of the CT and it’s functionality.

But hey, the reveal is tonight so let’s watch and see what they do.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Well, how many of us placed an order for the F-150 Lightning? I did and I ain’t ashamed to admit it. Still hanging on to the Cybertruck but I ain’t gonna settle for a tin can on a battery. Elon better step it up a notch on the quality of the interior and reduce cabin noise. Time will tell which one this old retired miner will choose.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
I must admit to reserving a Lighting, since 400,000 cybertruck reservations are ahead of me.

The downside of the lightning for me.
1> range (300 miles is really too low for Oklahoma)
2> No air shocks.
3> Charging speed.
4> Charging network.

Good side for me:
1> There are only 20,000 reservations ahead of me.
2> The truck really looks good.
Sponsored