Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Throw me a bone here people, All I want is a Frikn' Cybertruck with Frikn' lazers on it. Is that too much to ask? I'm guessing if lasers are installed, they will only be secondary to conventional wipers. Tesla is always about safety.
:) In the original patent application they talked about the lasers coming from the sides, inside the glass matrix, but in the diagram the showed on Teslarati and Electrek it looks like the lasers are mounted on the hood. I kind of doubt that for the same reason we don't have light sabers and such. It is hard to stop a laser. What happens if your windshield gets damaged and it starts to rain. The first object the laser may come in contact with could be your head. I also have doubts about how this thing will perform in freezing rain, heavy snow, mud, heavy dust (as in apre-volcano or forest fire), etc. When they announced the use of Alon Glass they said (there is a video of the discussion way back in January, 2020 on this forum) that it would be super smooth and naturally repel all substances like RainX. Of course, RainX is not that great, for example with bird droppings and bugs. For all these reasons I think it is cool that they submitted and got the patent application approved, but wouldn't hold my breath on it appearing in the CT as described today. Maybe you could mount a laser on your CT and get away with it for a while?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
:) In the original patent application they talked about the lasers coming from the sides, inside the glass matrix, but in the diagram the showed on Teslarati and Electrek it looks like the lasers are mounted on the hood. I kind of doubt that for the same reason we don't have light sabers and such. It is hard to stop a laser. What happens if your windshield gets damaged and it starts to rain. The first object the laser may come in contact with could be your head. I also have doubts about how this thing will perform in freezing rain, heavy snow, mud, heavy dust (as in apre-volcano or forest fire), etc. When they announced the use of Alon Glass they said (there is a video of the discussion way back in January, 2020 on this forum) that it would be super smooth and naturally repel all substances like RainX. Of course, RainX is not that great, for example with bird droppings and bugs. For all these reasons I think it is cool that they submitted and got the patent application approved, but wouldn't hold my breath on it appearing in the CT as described today. Maybe you could mount a laser on your CT and get away with it for a while?
This is a much more interesting idea. If the window is hydrophobic, combined with the slope, it might just slough off water? Then just eliminating the debris would be the only thing you need a wiper for.

Woke up this morning and there was a layer of ash on the windshield. That would need to be dealt with.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I really don’t know wether to think this is great or dumb. I guess in areas that get a lot of bugs on the window it might help. But really???!!! Lasers to clean the windows. Most of me sees this and wants to ask Tesla to please just focus on what they have committed to already.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Just give me conventional wipers.
I saw a lot of stuff in the military that was a good idea in theory but useless in practical application.
Just something else that could go wrong and cost a fortune to repair or replace.
Remember KISS.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just give me conventional wipers.
I saw a lot of stuff in the military that was a good idea in theory but useless in practical application.
Just something else that could go wrong and cost a fortune to repair or replace.
Remember KISS.
That’s what I said about door handles!

Reminder: Tesla has said nothing about this, just conjecture right now.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I'm positive the CT will use the magnetic rail wiper system that is hidden under the hood when not in use. It's a very clever design, energy efficient, light weight, and will reach a larger portion of the windshield than conventional wipers would.

The laser patent has good Semi application where cleaning the windshield is a real bitch. Nonetheless, I love the idea of it, but the practical application of it will remain to be seen.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I really don’t know wether to think this is great or dumb. I guess in areas that get a lot of bugs on the window it might help. But really???!!! Lasers to clean the windows. Most of me sees this and wants to ask Tesla to please just focus on what they have committed to already.
This Alien technology fits Mars and would have kept a rover going had it been real and available to clean solar panels.

Huge installations of solar panels, laser clean would reduce ongoing maintenance highest labor cost. Then smaller arrays will justify robo cost containment with the technology.

Autos decades after concept might see something retail AFTER risk to retinal damage from looking directly at a beam of laser is resolved. Handheld grocery scanner is dangerous and people haven’t a clue if it hits their eye how ”close call” those can be if they look.

Patent is for the idea. Tesla patent fence the future possibilities to make laser progress on surface wiping. Wipers are like tires only the compound gets improved not the original invention. I could envision a narrow focus mirrored tube embodiment between which everything in its path is obliterated. That could protect against harm.

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire