Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
For all the naysayers. This just in....
——————————————————-

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-model-x-steering-wheel-yoke-approved-netherlands/

Tesla Model S and Model X’s steering yoke approved for use in the Netherlands
By Simon Alvarez
February 1, 2021

Tesla is known for being an electric car maker that always pushes the envelope forward, whether it’s on the deployment of its Autopilot driver-assist system or its use of a 15” display in the Model 3. With the release of the Model S and Model X refresh, Tesla has once more raised eyebrows over its vehicles’ design, this time due to the flagship EVs’ steering “yoke.”

The Tesla Model S and Model X refresh features a steering yoke that looks almost like it was designed for an aircraft, with a flat bottom and no top. This, unsurprisingly, caught the ire of critics, with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) telling Roadshow last Friday that it has reached out to Tesla about its use of a “yoke” instead of a traditional steering wheel.

This issue does not seem to exist in The Netherlands. In a statement to local media outlet RTL Nieuws, the Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer (RDW), which supervises vehicle and driving licensing, registration, and control in The Netherlands, revealed that the Model S and Model X refresh’s uniquely-shaped steering yoke would be allowed for public use. “The shape of the steering wheel is not prescribed anywhere in EU or UNECE legislation,” the authority said.

Explaining further, the RDW noted that rectangular elements in vehicles’ steering systems are already making their way into the market, with many cars now having a steering wheel with a flat bottom. Such a design actually makes it more convenient to access a vehicle, which may be a reason why there could be more flat-bottomed, if not differently-shaped, steering systems in the future.

“Many cars already have a flattened steering wheel at the bottom. Not only does this make getting in easier, but it’s also easier to recognize which position the steering wheel is in. The tendency is that more and more vehicles will have rectangular steering wheels in the future. The number of revolutions from far left to far right is also unregulated. If this is only from -90 to +90 degrees, there is no reason why you have to have an upper rim. Then two handles will suffice,” the RDW said.

Overall, the vehicle authority remarked that legislation currently specifies “steering control” systems as requirements, not a “steering wheel,” which means that there is ample space for automakers to be more creative with their vehicles’ controls. “The legislation deliberately speaks of ‘steering control’ instead of ‘steering wheel.’ Space is deliberately left for alternative forms,” the RDW said.

Needless to say, it appears that Tesla’s steering yoke for the Model S and Model X refresh are a definite go for The Netherlands.

Don’t hesitate to contact us for news tips. Just send a message to [email protected] to give us a heads up.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Model S and Model X’s steering yoke approved for use in the Netherlands C7EC1C7F-F5E3-4720-8147-8CAE357FB547
Sponsored

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
That’s a more progressive attitude than I expected from that kind of authorities (not knowing much about Dutch authorities other than the progressive drug laws).

I wouldn’t have thought those yokes were anything other than for prototypes and early visualizations, but now I hope the rest of Europe follows this course. Because of course it also has benefits and can be done safely. Norway and the Netherlands are pretty much on the same page when it comes to EVs, FSD, etc. (and Teslas!).

Europe is pretty set for the CT features as shown in the prototype now. Side view cameras - check, and yoke - check.

Laser or airblade wipers - who knows ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
That’s a more progressive attitude than I expected from that kind of authorities (not knowing much about Dutch authorities other than the progressive drug laws).

I wouldn’t have thought those yokes were anything other than for prototypes and early visualizations, but now I hope the rest of Europe follows this course. Because of course it also has benefits and can be done safely. Norway and the Netherlands are pretty much on the same page when it comes to EVs, FSD, etc. (and Teslas!).

An important statement lies deeper in the text.

“The shape of the steering wheel is not prescribed anywhere in EU or UNECE legislation,” the authority said.

Meaning the yoke should be allowed in ALL EU nations.

Last edited:

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
An important statement lines deeper in the text.

“The shape of the steering wheel is not prescribed anywhere in EU or UNECE legislation,” the authority said.

True.

In my case I said I hope Europe follows suit because Norway is not in the EU ? But we usually harmonize rules to EU in this area. Sometimes we’re more lax (FSD) , sometimes a bit stricter.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
An important statement lines deeper in the text.

I have been doing research on the steering wheel regulations in the U.S. and NHTSA has admitted to never specifying the exact shape the steering wheel needs to be, this was from a recent Motor Trend article

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I have been doing research on the steering wheel regulations in the U.S. and NHTSA has admitted to never specifying the exact shape the steering wheel needs to be, this was from a recent Motor Trend article
Do they also call it “steering control” rather than “steering wheel”? Else it may be down to semantics. The Tesla yoke is certainly not a “wheel” of any form if they’re going to be stubborn about it.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I've been rewatching all the Launch Day test drive videos and focusing on watching the driver steering with the yoke. To me, it looks very effortless, ergonomic; it almost reminds me of steering with a suicide knob on old hot rods (which are illegal now iirc). I'm having a hard time seeing a downside after watching the videos and studying the movements.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
All Tesla Models currently on the roads in Germany are approved by Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer.

It is enought to be road legal in one EU country to be sold/driven in all EU countrys.
That is one of the many advantages the EU stands for, making life easyer.

So bring on the yoke........and make the nay sayers eat their steering wheel......

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
this is just like the motorcycle helmets......a lot of European helmets are illegal and not DOT approved in the US.....seems like the steering wheel will be another one of those issues here as well

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
this is just like the motorcycle helmets......a lot of European helmets are illegal and not DOT approved in the US.....seems like the steering wheel will be another one of those issues here as well
Which is silly, the DOT rules are both less stringent on all matters and self-enforced by the manufacturer. We should just say if it's ECE it's DOT-equivalent.

-Crissa
Sponsored