Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I stand by my ambivalence.
I was giving people the advice early on to not change orders but rather add orders if they wanted a different configuration so as to hopefully limit the chance tesla could say that they modified and thus lost their position. and for $100 you dont have much to lose IMO. I also called a contact I have at tesla in corporate sales and asked if they would honor the $7k FSD even though I opened the edit page and he said yes as long as I didn't modify the order, but that was a couple years ago. Really any intelligent person can see the benefits of FSD but at what cost, right? to me $7k seems like a lot and $15k is probably out of the question so I think it will make a big difference. I guess since you can add FSD after purchase it won't count against the $80k limit for the tax credit, but i doubt Tesla will let you honor the reserved price for FSD if not included at the time of purchase. I guess my worst case scenario is $71k vehicle base, $2k 6th seat option, $7k FSD. $80k out the door. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
FROM https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/topic-...-limitations-for-the-new-clean-vehicle-credit

A4. The MSRP will be on the vehicle information label attached to each vehicle on a dealer's premises. The MSRP for this purpose is the base retail price suggested by the manufacturer, plus the retail price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery to the dealer. It does not include destination charges or optional items added by the dealer, or taxes and fees.

Software in no way shape or form is "physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery to the dealer"

so I don't see anyway that FSD counts against the msrp. which is provably why tesla specifically says it does NOT count.

to address the cost issue.. depends on if you plan on using it on a monthly basis... if you plan on using FSD at the 299 a month price.. it would take what about five years of use to pay the cost of FSD.. so the real question is do you plan to keep the vehicle 5 years.. if so pay the flat fee <assuming you don't have it locked in at the lower rate> if not... go monthly.

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
good info. i would adjust that to "buy fsd if you plan to use for more than 3 years" though, with the assumption that the cost keeps going up. and if it is actually completed in the next 3 years, i feel like that would be a really big win for you if you planed to monetize FSD.. feel like there's a decent chance of that happening with dojo coming online this year..

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Are you calling the initial announcement price of the Cybertruck a "legacy price"?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Software in no way shape or form is "physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery to the dealer"
Is FSD on the Monroney sticker?

Because if it is, I think thereā€™s an open question

The answer to this should be either some hat or entirely knowable

it would be somewhat knowable if in late 2022 under the IRA someoneā€™s bought another Tesla wherein FSD was the difference between MSRP qualifying, and this past April ā€˜23 they filed for and received the credit

it would only be entirely knowable if instead a person in the same posture received an adjudication from the IRS, or the IRS has issued guidance on the exact point

otherwise, just because someone filed and received the credit to date does not mean the IRS canā€™t come back and say they discovered and error and tailing tax liability
Sponsored