Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The Semi is a commercial product

Tesla wants mass market, and it could achieve that with even higher markups. I guess it just needs to be 10% better to win all the Love.

But I think Tesla would prefer to set an appropriate (not opportunistic) price markup it can maintain for a long time. A new benchmark, I'd say.

It's not necessarily to win over a mass market. But it is. It is the outcome.
(I wrote it, and I still don't get it. lol)

Basically, it sets prices by providing the best value it can, keep shareholders happy, and not go broke.

And keep competitors honest.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And keep competitors honest.
Nobody has Tesla’s scale. Even without the cost advantage 4680 cells bring to the table, Tesla’s battery costs are much better than anyone’s save a few Chinese manufacturers.

With the 4680s Tesla might well beat even the Chinese manufacturers on cost.

Until someone catches up with Tesla’s scale, Tesla’s margins on all their product will be outsized.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
By keeping competitors honest, I mean competitors should not get a free ride as much as carmakers have.

Up until now, Tesla could not have transitioned quickly enough on its own. Had Tesla introduced the $30,000 EV earlier, ...who could have gotten close ? Who could have tried ?

Competitors and Government's would have continued to sit longer on their hands. The charging Network would be a Tesla problem.

BMW, Mercedes,Lexus,Some Toyota etc would have continued on the merry way.

By selling higher priced cars, we incentivized competition to at least try and compete... at least they can see a light.

But on the Semi front... Its a Niche area. Tesla IMO would be more than happy to make 2 million of the things and wipe out existing brands. Plenty of good newbies to make up the slack.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
By keeping competitors honest, I mean competitors should not get a free ride as much as carmakers have.

Up until now, Tesla could not have transitioned quickly enough on its own. Had Tesla introduced the $30,000 EV earlier, ...who could have gotten close ? Who could have tried ?
I don’t think Tesla could have released a $30,000 EV prior to the Model Y launch. They might have been able to after the Model Y launch, but by that point demand was so high they were just scrambling to keep up with demand for the Model Y. Now that they have a factory which can crank out Model Ys (it’s nowhere near fully scaled up), they have a huge stack of orders for the Cybertruck they need to address. THEN they can launch the budget blaster.

But on the Semi front... Its a Niche area. Tesla IMO would be more than happy to make 2 million of the things and wipe out existing brands. Plenty of good newbies to make up the slack.
Very possible. We’ll see what happens with pricing, but I suspect It’ll be quite attractively priced. Once they get their larger scale assembly online could easily just gobble up the market.

Except… there is still no Megacharger network and each Megacharger is going to require city scale power. I suspect we’ll just see fleets with hubs adopting the semi for some time to come. The “80% Charged in 30 minutes“ part needs some infrastructure which doesn’t exist yet.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Nobody has Tesla’s scale. Even without the cost advantage 4680 cells bring to the table, Tesla’s battery costs are much better than anyone’s save a few Chinese manufacturers.

With the 4680s Tesla might well beat even the Chinese manufacturers on cost.

Until someone catches up with Tesla’s scale, Tesla’s margins on all their product will be outsized.
Or, maybe, just Elon to make a point.:love:

Pulling down our wishful thinking is that he might want to recoup the hemorrhaging that happened to him at Twitter. :eek:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Today is the day!

Is it Thursday Dec 1 2022 where you are?

--------------------------------

Tesla sends new batch of invites for Semi delivery event on December 1
Simon Alvarez
Nov 23 2022
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-new-invites-semi-delivery-event/amp/

Nov 30 is Neuralink “Show and Tell” livestream day

Elon Musk’s Neuralink “Show and Tell” livestream link goes online
The event will start at 6 p.m. Pacific Time.
By Simon Alvarez
Posted on November 30, 2022
https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-neuralink-show-and-tell-livestream-link/

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Probably the biggest thing to me about this event is semi pricing. If they keep Semi pricing in with earlier numbers, I think it makes it a lot more likely Cybertruck pricing will be.
Great point!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So, Tesla is having their first launch even in a while Dec 1 where they will send off the first Semi's. While the Semi is a big deal for investors, industry and reducing global emissions, it's a bit boring for the general car fan. I think that's why they threw in the Roadster last time in a very memorable moment. Will we see another "one more thing"?

And more importantly, will it be the Cybertruck? A Roadster update is also possible, but I think the sports car is on the back burner until the CT is shipping. And Dec 1 seems like great timing as the CT line in Auston will be in full prep mode. We also know Elon was going to get his beta in "a few weeks" a few weeks ago. So there WILL be a new Cybertruck version driving around if the big cheese ever leaves Twitter HQ.

What will we see?
I voted just the Semi but I am of course hoping that they will drive a CT out the back of a Semi trailer and give it to Elon. He did hint at a single 'truck' being delivered soon and another in January, and he always refers to the CT as the Truck and the Semi tractor as the Semi. That said, I have been disappointed enough times to not hold my breath. Just hopeful.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Elon is no longer going to mention anything about the Cybertruck until it in full production. He doesn’t want to further embarrass himself anymore.
Not sure what you are smoking over there but I do not think that Elon pays any attention to the fallout of what he says because otherwise he would go into a coma from embarrassment. Probably for the best for all of us :)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This is why I don’t try and stake out a huge claim one way or the other. I would not be surprised if the prices you posted on Twitter were the thing either.

Whatever price they end up with needs to support 250k sales per year. Remember Musk made the case that operating cost on the Dual Motor Cybertruck would equal the operating cost of the average pickup truck.

1668749621304.png

Lots of white collar people making six figure incomes suddenly interested in pickup trucks and insisting Tesla is pricing the truck for them. But trucks have historically been a blue collar purchase. Lots of plumbers and electricians making $70k-100k who need to justify their truck as a business purchase.

Whatever price they land on needs to drive enough sales to support the factory they are building and pay for that Gigapress.
I don't know about you but when I have a plumber or electrician do work on my house they are charging me $250/hr. Even if the 'company' is pulling 100% overhead (doubtful) these guys are clearing $200K/yr. They are doing 'really' well.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I wanted to catch up on the thread before asking this question. I looked all over the place yesterday and couldn't find out whether the Semi Delivery Event will be streamed. Does anyone here know? I am sure that someone will video with their phone and later post but I'd like to see the streaming event if Tesla or someone else has it.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag