Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
so far you cannot. and I heard if you sell the car, the new owner would have to pay telsa, not u, for the re-activation of it. im not entirely sure if this is full true, or not
FSD goes with the car. It affects resale value of the car and if you trade it in to Tesla, they place a value on it.

That is Tesla's answers to complaints about paying for FSD and not getting value out of it. So if you buy a Tesla, trade it in, and buy another one, some of that value moves forward into your new car as part of that trade in value.

Other companies and private sales seem to do the same, but perhaps not as much as Tesla does.

As far as I know there has been exactly 1 case where someone claimed Tesla revoked a license, but that seemed like a weird fluke.
Sponsored

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
If Tesla doesn't start investing in advertising on legacy media and purchasing politicians, I don't think they're FSD dream is going to happen, no matter how safe it is. The one lesson we learned 2021 is, statistics don't matter.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla has always honored FSD pricing for reservations that convert to orders. So that's not a problem.

And the people who paid $5k five years ago... they have enhanced autopilot that competes rather fairly with anything released by other automakers. Remember, it's $2k just for the 360 cameras on the Ford. And then another for the traffic-aware cruise. And another for the level two autonomy...

Also, Elon reiterated:

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If Tesla doesn't start investing in advertising on legacy media and purchasing politicians, I don't think they're FSD dream is going to happen, no matter how safe it is. The one lesson we learned 2021 is, statistics don't matter.
When it's ready, FSD will be adopted in 1 country, and then it will spread. The world will not care if the US wants it or not.

Good start for the US to stop leading if that's the case.

Worse case scenario is FSD will remain in Beta mode, but more advanced, Tesla will have banked 90% of funds.

Eventually youall will be driving FSD and the only thing missing is the rubber stamp. Which would be pretty weird, because I envisage a good % of legislators will be driving FSD beta.

My main concern is other self-driving cowboy companies cause deaths, and the politics could be waiting for that.

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
@ 7k, still interested. If upgrade to quad and price increases to 12k, most likely will not get FSD. Same if the 7K is not honored.

Since ai detest monthly fees, FSD service is out too.
I am with you on this. I ordered fsd @ $7K. At $12K I don't want it.
I have fsd on my Model 3 and I am happy with it @ $7K.
Until it is genuine level 4 it is not worth the extra $5K to me.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When it's ready, FSD will be adopted in 1 country, and then it will spread. The world will not care if the US wants it or not.

Good start for the US to stop leading if that's the case.

Worse case scenario is FSD will remain in Beta mode, but more advanced, Tesla will have banked 90% of funds.

Eventually youall will be driving FSD and the only thing missing is the rubber stamp. Which would be pretty weird, because I envisage a good % of legislators will be driving FSD beta.

My main concern is other self-driving cowboy companies cause deaths, and the politics could be waiting for that.
yea, just like the windshield wipers that dont work

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
FSD goes with the car. It affects resale value of the car and if you trade it in to Tesla, they place a value on it.

That is Tesla's answers to complaints about paying for FSD and not getting value out of it. So if you buy a Tesla, trade it in, and buy another one, some of that value moves forward into your new car as part of that trade in value.

Other companies and private sales seem to do the same, but perhaps not as much as Tesla does.

As far as I know there has been exactly 1 case where someone claimed Tesla revoked a license, but that seemed like a weird fluke.
I’m confused by watching / reading the news. I heard Tesla did NOT transfer FSD with the sale of the car, yet you speak like one who knows otherwise. The story I read was a customer sold it assuming FSD transferred and new customer was seeking damages for Tesla not honoring FSD with the new customer claiming it was a software option at the discretion of Tesla after the customer agreed to the Beta terms. I like your version of Tesla policy and at $12,000 I can’t justify the purchase unless it adds to the resale value.
Hey - good news all, a friend of mine had an 22 S on order with a July 2022 delivery date. Tesla just contacted him and moved up delv to April - hoping CT production gets moved up too - shucks, I hope it even happens!!!

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m confused by watching / reading the news. I heard Tesla did NOT transfer FSD with the sale of the car, yet you speak like one who knows otherwise. The story I read was a customer sold it assuming FSD transferred and new customer was seeking damages for Tesla not honoring FSD with the new customer claiming it was a software option at the discretion of Tesla after the customer agreed to the Beta terms. I like your version of Tesla policy and at $12,000 I can’t justify the purchase unless it adds to the resale value.
Hey - good news all, a friend of mine had an 22 S on order with a July 2022 delivery date. Tesla just contacted him and moved up delv to April - hoping CT production gets moved up too - shucks, I hope it even happens!!!
FSD follows the car.

The only case in which it didn't was a car that was sold back to Tesla, Tesla reset its settings, but a third-party assumed it had the same features as before, after being refurbished. Refurbished devices may or may not have the same options when they come back from the manufacturer.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I heard Tesla did NOT transfer FSD with the sale of the car, yet you speak like one who knows otherwise.
FSD transfers.

There has been a lot of mis-information about this, but it absolutely does transfer. As far as I know, there is exactly one story out there about a guy who had trouble with buying a car “with FSD” where it vanished, but that story apparently has long legs.

Tesla also pays more for trade-ins with FSD and used cars with FSD sell for more (at least on Tesla’s site).

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, years ago - before that story - Tesla hadn't been factoring in options when taking trade-ins, just straight blue-book. Tesla does things the easy and quick way - sometimes they don't look at the details, especially when it's not hardware engineering.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In a show about “fake news” a few weeks ago, Dr. Richardson mentioned that the quote “a lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth puts on its shoes” is often attributed to Mark Twain. She correctly emphasized “attributed,” because no one knows whether Twain actually said it. Lots of people say that it originated with Twain, but that’s because, along with Churchill, Gandhi, and Einstein, he’s up there on the Mount Rushmore of Misquotation.

That’s right, there’s absolutely no evidence that Twain ever said this, much less coined it. Neither did: the poet, Edgar Allen Poe; the 19th century preacher, Charles Spurgeon; American founder Thomas Jefferson; John Randolph, a Congressman in the early 19th century; nor Terry Pratchett, the satirist and fantasy novelist.
It is somewhat fitting that attribution for a statement about how lies grow legs of their own is itself likely a lie.

Anyhow. Thought it was a good place to drop that quote and found the story of it being mis attributed fascinating.
Sponsored