A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It has a button on top that you push and the charge door pops right open for you.
The button is on top of the charging handle (connector). Not the HPWC itself.
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The button is on top of the charging handle (connector). Not the HPWC itself.
LOL... Fine. I wasn't quite accurate in my description. Yes, the button is on top of the charging handle. :)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I laugh every time I use it because if it doesn't work (which it doesn't sometimes) it means, brace yourselves, having to tap the door itself 3 inches away. This is as close to the peeled grape syndrome that I can think of.

And, of course, there is a button on top of the charger proper (upper left side) but that is for reset.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I am assuming that it is cheaper to charge your EV at home, versus utilizing one of the superchargers?

U92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rubicon MW3
Occupation
FILM
Country flag
Good info. I am in Calfornia looking to move to Texas. I wonder if I will be bumped up in delivery? I got in under 50k for both 3 motor and a 2 motor.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I am assuming that it is cheaper to charge your EV at home, versus utilizing one of the superchargers?
Tesla does promotions from time to time in which they offer free supercharging to buyers of some models (e.g. S and X ) or free supercharging for some period of time or for some number of miles for referrals etc. If you are the beneficiary of one of those promotions then clearly the super charger is cheaper as it is free. If you are not then home is usually cheaper. The average price of 1 kWh in the US is about 13¢. At a super charger the price seems to be around 23¢. In Virginia I have solar panels which provide about half my electricity so my cost there is 6.5¢/kWh. Topping up after a longtrip might require 60 kWh. That's $3.90 at home. Is it worth driving to a SC (especially in these days of COVID) or even stopping at one near home on the final leg of a trip to save $3.90 (or $7.80 w/o solar)? Personally I'd say "No".

Bottom line is that charging at home is usually not that expensive though there are places where a kWh costs as much as 30¢ or even more but in those places the SC will charge high rates too. Also keep in mind that some utilities charge different amounts at different times of day. Tesla let's you program the car to start charging at a chosen time of day so that you can take advantage of this if it is offered.

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Good info. I am in Calfornia looking to move to Texas. I wonder if I will be bumped up in delivery? I got in under 50k for both 3 motor and a 2 motor.
My 2013 Model S has free supercharging for life, and while that is nice, i only use it when i take longer trips. Supercharging all the time isn't good for the battery long term either. My electric rates in Wisconsin are .16 kwh 8am-8pm and .051 8pm-8am. So schedule the car to charge after 8pm each night. I also can charge for free at work and while its awesome to have these free options, I still just plug in at home for the convenience.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Telsa builds Supercharging stations for approximately
$250k, depending on the location. They team up with property “partners” who are asked to commit to the program for a minimum of five years, with an option to expand, and most agreements range from five to ten years. The length of the commitment required reflects the large cost of the initial install. In exchange, Tesla is selling essentially the image benefits associated with its brand; partners get the mystique and influence of being a Tesla location, attracting its drivers to their on-site businesses, yes, but also offering up press and social media profile bumps. Plus, for companies with environmental sustainability programs and priorities, the brand association benefits are obviously attractive, too.

The automaker always claimed that it ‘will never be a profit center’ and a spokesperson reiterated it in a statement to Electrek today after we inquired about the price increase:

We’re adjusting Supercharging pricing to better reflect differences in local electricity costs and site usage. As our fleet grows, we continue to open new Supercharger locations weekly so more drivers can travel long distances at a fraction of the cost of gasoline and with zero emissions. As has always been the case, Supercharging is not meant to be a profit center for Tesla.”
I think you will eventually see Tesla Supercharging station’s disconnected from the “old school“ electricity grid. Where there is room you will see solar panels and Powerpack installations.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I think you will eventually see Tesla Supercharging station’s disconnected from the “old school“ electricity grid. Where there is room you will see solar panels and Powerpack installations.
I believe there are a couple in existence in the California desert.

An acre of 23% efficient silicon receiving 4 hours full sun equivalent per day could serve
4*4047*1*.23/40 = 93.081 cars requiring 40 kWh charges per day.

I've been to a couple where there might be an acre or two available within a reasonable distance but I've been to others where there definitely isn't. Nice concept, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Agreed, not feasible in the WI area from what i have seen, most exist at businesses, though i could see some solar in these to help offset the costs...

georgetrombley

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram Truck
Occupation
Real Estate Property Manager
Country flag
I do have some questions for you guys.

I have never owned a Tesla before and the Cybertruck will be my first experience with an electric vehicle.

Charging... When you buy a Tesla, does it come with the charger you install at your house or is it extra? Also, does that charger require a special voltage plug that I will have to have an electrician install? Lastly, how long is the charging cable? Since the CT can't fit it in the garage, I picture a cable coming from the garage and connecting to the CT. Hoping the cable will be long enough to allow for some flexibility.

Thanks in advance!

-Ernie
Ernie, The vehicle does not come with the charger that hangs on the wall of the garage but does come with an accessory bag with a charger setup in it. You will need to buy an adaptor for $35 bucks so you can plug the charger into a 220-volt plug. If you order the charge from the Tesla website, you can choose an 8 foot or 18-foot cable for the same price.

Ro2Bcont

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor AWD, Nissan leaf
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
I’ve got a question, I don’t think I’ve seen this on the thread yet.... when you get a Tesla what charge state does it come with? Do they charge it up for you before you go or does it come at like 20% charge like some new electronics come....

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The stores all have HPWC so they can put enough charge in the delivered cars that their new owners can get them home. Plus they would leave the factory with enough charge to cover the phantom drain of up to a week's transit time. I've only taken delivery on 2. Each has had a reasonable level of charge. I don't remember exactly but I'd guess around 75%.
Sponsored