Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2020/08/06/tesla-launches-car-wrap-service/

Tesla launches its own car wrap service

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Wrapping Service Coming For Cybertruck? Just Launched in China Tesla-wrap-hero

Tesla has launched its own car wrap service through delivery centers starting with five cities in China. Could it be introduced in other markets?

Over the last few years, Tesla has reduced the number of color options on its vehicles in order to streamline production and facilitate repairs at service centers.

It resulted in many owners turning to wraps in order to get different colors and differentiate their vehicle from the increasingly larger Tesla fleet.

They had to rely on third-party suppliers and installers to wrap their cars.

But now Tesla is launching its own service through delivery centers in China.

The official Tesla customer service Weibo account announced it yesterday:

Here’s the post translated from Chinese:

Tesla is more and more common on the road, and it is getting easier to recognize the wrong car at the charging station. How to make your Tesla different and stand out?
Now the Tesla Delivery Center has launched the [Color Changed Car Wrap] product, which can make the vehicle cool! The first batch of online cities: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Suzhou, and other cities will be launched in mid-August! Many available colors, please contact your local delivery or service center!

It sounds like new Tesla buyers in China can order wraps for their cars directly through Tesla’s delivery centers, and existing owners can do it through service centers.

Tesla is starting with five large markets and more are to come in the coming weeks.

The Weibo account also shared a few pictures with the post:

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Wrapping Service Coming For Cybertruck? Just Launched in China Tesla-wrap-1

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Wrapping Service Coming For Cybertruck? Just Launched in China Tesla-wrap-2
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Wrapping Service Coming For Cybertruck? Just Launched in China Tesla-wrap-4

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Wrapping Service Coming For Cybertruck? Just Launched in China Tesla-wrap-3

Electrek’s Take

This is an interesting development. I’m sure some people will say this is a literal Band-Aid to fix Tesla’s paint problems.

I am curious to see how much it costs and how long it takes. How long will it be under warranty?

When Elon said that Cybertruck owners will need to wrap their trucks in order to get different colors, I suggested that Tesla might actually offer the option itself.

While plenty of third-parties would likely jump on the opportunity, wraps aren’t cheap, and if Tesla was to get involved directly, they could probably lower the cost by standardizing the wraps.

This looks like a first step in that direction.

We’ll see if it expands outside of China.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I can guarantee this service will coming to America.

The Cybertruck is a perfect candidate as it’s a paint free blank canvas. If Tesla elects not to offer this service in house they will be giving up a great revenue stream.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Wrapping Service Coming For Cybertruck? Just Launched in China 9419A3BE-FCAA-4555-9277-4396173D18D8
p

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Earlier on someone talked about wrapping and I took a look at the cost (not the longevity) and it seemed quite expensive. Any guesses on what it would cost to wrap a CT in a single color? And is it like the stuff refrigerators and other appliances come in that is easily nicked and torn? What is the survivability of the stuff?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Vehicle wraps aren’t meant to be installed and forgotten. Like the rest of your vehicle, a vehicle wrap requires regular cleaning and maintenance. Owners need to wash the vinyl wrap on a regular basis and keep the vehicle away from pollutants. Vinyl wrap on the front end of a vehicle is also subject to insect and stone chip damage, etc.

I will not be wrapping mine. I feel the look of bare stainless steel is beautiful and adds an industrial feel to the vehicle.

Last edited:

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe some added accents instead of a full wrap.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Maybe some added accents instead of a full wrap.
https://electrek.co/2020/08/06/tesla-launches-car-wrap-service/

Tesla launches its own car wrap service

Tesla-wrap-hero.jpg

Tesla has launched its own car wrap service through delivery centers starting with five cities in China. Could it be introduced in other markets?

Over the last few years, Tesla has reduced the number of color options on its vehicles in order to streamline production and facilitate repairs at service centers.

It resulted in many owners turning to wraps in order to get different colors and differentiate their vehicle from the increasingly larger Tesla fleet.

They had to rely on third-party suppliers and installers to wrap their cars.

But now Tesla is launching its own service through delivery centers in China.

The official Tesla customer service Weibo account announced it yesterday:

Here’s the post translated from Chinese:

Tesla is more and more common on the road, and it is getting easier to recognize the wrong car at the charging station. How to make your Tesla different and stand out?
Now the Tesla Delivery Center has launched the [Color Changed Car Wrap] product, which can make the vehicle cool! The first batch of online cities: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Suzhou, and other cities will be launched in mid-August! Many available colors, please contact your local delivery or service center!

It sounds like new Tesla buyers in China can order wraps for their cars directly through Tesla’s delivery centers, and existing owners can do it through service centers.

Tesla is starting with five large markets and more are to come in the coming weeks.

The Weibo account also shared a few pictures with the post:

Tesla-wrap-1.jpg

Tesla-wrap-2.jpg
Tesla-wrap-4.jpg

Tesla-wrap-3.jpg

Electrek’s Take

This is an interesting development. I’m sure some people will say this is a literal Band-Aid to fix Tesla’s paint problems.

I am curious to see how much it costs and how long it takes. How long will it be under warranty?

When Elon said that Cybertruck owners will need to wrap their trucks in order to get different colors, I suggested that Tesla might actually offer the option itself.

While plenty of third-parties would likely jump on the opportunity, wraps aren’t cheap, and if Tesla was to get involved directly, they could probably lower the cost by standardizing the wraps.

This looks like a first step in that direction.

We’ll see if it expands outside of China.
Can a wrapped car go through a car wash without damage or do you have to wash the car by hand after the wrap is applied?

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am dubious if Tesla will do this stateside. Only reason i say so is Wrap durability. Does not last nearly as long as paint. You can imagine the youtube videos and consumer complaints when the wraps start peeling in a few short years. You can get away with a lot more in China than you can here.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I like the raw stainless steel look. I can see where others will want to dress their Cybertruck, though. For a company vehicle you want identification. A wrapped CT would be eye-catching.

All those projected police and fire department CTs that I envision will be out there once it is manufactured and the real world performance is shown. My city has already gone to all SUV cop cars. Think of the enormous savings of moving 400+ cop cars to electric vehicles that don’t rust and have dent-resistant bodies. Tesla could wipe Ford off the police vehicle map!
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Wrapping Service Coming For Cybertruck? Just Launched in China 5F393278-3A9E-4102-A2D3-CFF9B42B7184

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
3M products used to protect cockpit glass and such, why not use it instead of vinyl?

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/post-factory-installation-us/paint-protection-film/

The cost is not that much (Amazon listed several sizes, from 12x12 inch pieces for $10, to rolls that were 12x96 inch for $50). This is clear, not colored, but supposedly lasts 10 years, which is much longer than a few years that most say vinyl wraps last...

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
3M products used to protect cockpit glass and such, why not use it instead of vinyl?

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/post-factory-installation-us/paint-protection-film/

The cost is not that much (Amazon listed several sizes, from 12x12 inch pieces for $10, to rolls that were 12x96 inch for $50). This is clear, not colored, but supposedly lasts 10 years, which is much longer than a few years that most say vinyl wraps last...

If it clear then what is the point? It’s a stainless steel body. What am I missing?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If it clear then what is the point? It’s a stainless steel body. What am I missing?
They are just giving sample prices. Do you think colors would cost appreciably more than clear?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
They are just giving sample prices. Do you think colors would cost appreciably more than clear?
If they make that film in colors it could be worth it. When i went to the website it was specifically clear paint protection. But as almost all auto detailing or repair, the cost of parts are minimal, it is the cost of labor that bites you in the butt. I also think it would be a much easier DIY project with CT than any normal car.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If they make that film in colors it could be worth it. When i went to the website it was specifically clear paint protection. But as almost all auto detailing or repair, the cost of parts are minimal, it is the cost of labor that bites you in the butt. I also think it would be a much easier DIY project with CT than any normal car.
I was thinking about the problems getting vinyl onto flat glass at the office without bubbles. It was a nightmare. I don’t know how professionals do it but I sure wouldn’t do it myself. I’ve been asking questions about wraps out of curiosity but I am more than happy with just the stainless.
Sponsored