SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I disagree with the statement "most of us don't need 700 mile range".

There are just too many scenarios to list to justify the need for a 700 mile range.

About Elon's statement about battery-powered aircraft........headline: "Elon to take on Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Airbus". ?

Elon could also take on battery-powered locomotives and win! Tesla Locomotives......yep!?
He’s already taking on those companies via SpaceX! ???
... And giving them a solid spanking too.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
He’s already taking on those companies via SpaceX! ???
... And giving them a solid spanking too.
This is one thing that I love about Tesla. With the direction they are going with cars, other companies will have to make better vehicles and reduce the price to compete with Tesla. Tesla cars are becoming favored by everyone because of their safety, comfort, storage space, performance and of course their amazing software. Now they are coming out with Truck that can should out perform most trucks and they are doing this at mid range prices for the most part. Imagine the cost of a truck made by another company with the same specs and performance of the Cybertruck before Cybertruck was released.

Now when it comes to airlines, I do work in Aviation and I can say the airlines don't make tons of money, the profit margins don't leave a ton of room to make things cheaper. The problem with airlines are the planes, and the manufacturers haven't had any huge improvements to reduce costs in the past 50 years. Sure they have made little improvements all the time that helps the plane fly further with less fuel, but they haven't changed much. Elon wants to have flights that would normally take a good 15 hours, to take less than an hour by leaving the atmosphere where there won't be any drag to slow the plane down. This isn't a new concept, planes fly as high as they do already because they know it uses less fuel and saves money, they also know that if they designed planes to go higher, it would cost even less to operate. They are reluctant to do this probably because of the initial cost, testing costs, training costs, and also because they are complacent; why do something new when this is working fine? If SpaceX can save half a day on a plane for under the cost of a business class ticket, business flyers are going to use it, because time is money.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Battery Day may include an announcement of silicone nanowire battery technology that’s been developed by Amprius Technologies. Could this be Elon’s big tease that “will blow your mind“ Battery Day announcement?

Interestingly, Amprius is based right next to Tesla’s 901 Page Ave. building in Fremont, California. There’s no other clear link between Tesla and Amprius but Tesla hired Yi-Lei Chow last year from Amprius where he had been a long-time engineering and manufacturing leader.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla's 700 Mile Battery Is Coming Sooner Than You Think 1598293304106

https://electrek.co/2020/08/24/tesla-teases-nanowire-technology-battery-day/

Last edited:

Turtle

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve been saying this for 5 years. Range is King.

Forget about the weight, forget about driving only half charged or whatever. Always... buy as much a range as you can afford. If you don’t own a Tesla now, you don’t know what your talking about.
I don’t currently own a Tesla, however I do agree with all who believe that range is King. That Is one of the deciding reasons I pre ordered the tri-motor CT. The 500+ range is important to me. I have also been hoping after battery day we would have greater RANGE announced for the CT. I have been thinking with the new battery technology we might expect 700 to 800 mile of range for the CT. I don’t think this is unreasonable. This luxury would be great for day trips to the coast or mountains, as I do often. Great for towing boats or trailers without having to worry about range. Go RANGE!!!

Deleted member 5322

I don’t currently own a Tesla, however I do agree with all who believe that range is King. That Is one of the deciding reasons I pre ordered the tri-motor CT. The 500+ range is important to me. I have also been hoping after battery day we would have greater RANGE announced for the CT. I have been thinking with the new battery technology we might expect 700 to 800 mile of range for the CT. I don’t think this is unreasonable. This luxury would be great for day trips to the coast or mountains, as I do often. Great for towing boats or trailers without having to worry about range. Go RANGE!!!
I do not have a tesla, and at first, ordered the cheapest CT for $39.9k and thought that 250+ range would be enough for me. Then I've read that it is EPA range, not even close to reality and the most concern is you cannot drain a battery up to 0% and cannot charge it up to 100%. Therefore the useful everyday range is going to be between 20% and 80-85% if I do not want to ruin my battery. So the real range is going to be around 100 -150 miles (just to drive around in the city???). It does not look good for me and I've switched for Tri-motor CT. It would be given me around 300-400 miles range. If I have an option to have a 1000 miles range - I would definitely pay for! Range is a King! If we have V2G it would benefit even more.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why would you want to consume more power per mile?

-Crissa
It was only to show 700 mile range in the sense of how much is used. Sorry for any confusion.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It was only to show 700 mile range in the sense of how much is used. Sorry for any confusion.
700wh/mi means using 700 watt hours per mile.

Teslas normally use between 240 and 320 depending upon weather and speed. But the Semi is expected to us between 1000 and 1500 per mile, so a fully laden Cybertruck might pull 700 wh/mi in a pinch.

-Crissa

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I feel that the Dual Motor version, my reservation choice, is the best bang for the buck. $50k, AWD and my best guess it that range will be up to 350 miles by the time it starts production.

I can’t wait for for Battery Day announcements. NOTE: Elon supposedly doesn‘t rehearse his speeches. He just wings it!

Last edited:

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Teslas normally use between 240 and 320 depending upon weather and speed. But the Semi is expected to us between 1000 and 1500 per mile, so a fully laden Cybertruck might pull 700 wh/mi in a pinch.

-Crissa

Like I said, if you don’t own a Tesla, You don’t know what your talking about.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
A colleague years ago used to speak of those who would "march into a battle of wits completely unarmed" but today we have a fancy name for it: Dunning-Kruger effect.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
A colleague years ago used to speak of those who would "march into a battle of wits completely unarmed" but today we have a fancy name for it: Dunning-Kruger effect.
In the age of social media people have come to conflate opinion with knowledge. Opinion can exist with no relation to fact. Social media allows opinion to rise in stature if one’s opinion matches those of the others on social media, but that doesn’t make it knowledge. This is a bit different from the Dunning-Kruger effect because it relies on others in the community to validate. Sadly, it gets harder every day to filter fact from fiction. Opinion could refer to either.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'll borrow the lead sentence from the Wikipedia article "It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability." It does not say whence the cognitive bias originated. Peer approval from the internet could certainly be a source. So I don't think social media are distinct from D-K. I think they augment it.

Now, of course, I am exhibiting it here. I did work briefly (for beer money) in the Cornell psych lab (Dunning was there but not at my time AFAIK) hooking up the relays in the Skinner boxes) but in reality I know nothing about psychology. Seriously, though, I am with Socrates: The more I know the more I know I don't know.
Sponsored

Last edited: