TFL Truck F-150 lightning Ike gauntlet

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
A few things to note, the F-150 is compared to a Cummings powered Dodge 2500, so its punching well above its weight class.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I thought TFL said they used 1% of battery per mile in the regular towing test. I thought they said it may have a range of 100 miles for 100% of battery. In this uphill test, they drove 8 miles up a 7% grade and the state of charge went from 69% to 53%. Which would work out to 16% of charge to go 8 miles, or 2% per mile.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, going uphill pulling a huge box uses alot of energy. This isn't surprising. Especially at those speeds.

Drop the speed to 60, or 50 and the power use would drop by a third or more.

I see this all the time on my bike. I take the freeway, I can consume up to 3% per mile at 70. On a good day, though, I'll only consume 1% per mile at 35. If I tuck, I get about 5 mph for the same power.

The same is true about towing. You're dragging a big box through the wind.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
In AU the national highway speed limit is 100k or 62 miles. There are also areas where 110k is allowed 69 miles. But it's mainly 100k.

Usually all 2 or 3 lane, so if you are slower, there is plenty of room for people to pass.

In particular, if you are towing an RV, God knows why you want to travel on the limit. You likely have your family in the car, slow down. You can lose much more than a sliver of time.

If I can save 30% for driving at 80k , 50 miles ? What a bonus. For me, range issue is now a non issue.

All this fuss. 30% extra for such a little thing.

OP
OP
Zabhawkin

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I thought TFL said they used 1% of battery per mile in the regular towing test. I thought they said it may have a range of 100 miles for 100% of battery. In this uphill test, they drove 8 miles up a 7% grade and the state of charge went from 69% to 53%. Which would work out to 16% of charge to go 8 miles, or 2% per mile.
Yep mis-converted the energy usage. Ill correct the main post.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
You are telling only half the story.
In 98 percent of cases, after driving uphill for a distance, you are going to get some downhill regenerative power restored to your battery.
I imagine towing a trailer downhill will add a lot more than the usual regenerated power.

OP
OP
Zabhawkin

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are telling only half the story.
In 98 percent of cases, after driving uphill for a distance, you are going to get some downhill regenerative power restored to your battery.
I imagine towing a trailer downhill will add a lot more than the usual regenerated power.
They went down first, reported how much regen and how many times they applied the brakes, then drove back up.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Drop the speed to 60, or 50 and the power use would drop by a third or more.
towing range is going to be wildly dependent on speed choices

just today from a fellow F150L owner

“3000lb Camper, with the Lightning PRO... and while powering the camper from the truck, with ProPower, to the Far NORTH GEORGIA mountains. The elevation change was 1,500 feet higher from start to finish….

1.3 miles per KWH for the majority of the trip, somewhat hilly in many areas, which equates to about 127 maximum towing miles... to 0% state of charge.
1.2 miles per KWH for the last 50 miles mostly due to some stringent 'top of Georgia' elevation changes, from 1,200 to over 2,000 feet...
average speed, maybe 55-60, mostly 4-lane roads/highways
temps - low 70's to start, mid to high 80's in the later parts of the day
winds - none to light
accessories: music, always.... air conditioner, maybe 1/3 of the trip, and a small amount of phone charging.

ProPower powered the camper the whole trip, with an extension cord from one of the 20amp bed outlets. Running an RV absorption Fridge, a mini compressor fridge, and three fans, the draw was about 280w constant, and up to 350w for several minutes each time the compressor fridge kicked on.”
Sponsored