Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Tesla/ Elon's announcement of a new higher priced version of the Cybertruck makes perfect sense. It's the same thing Lucid, Rivian, and even GM with the Hummer are doing. They all know when you first go into production you don't have the skills and knowledge, so come out with the highest profit margin vehicles FIRST! Then as you get more skills and knowledge, you learn how to save money and make vehicles at a tighter profit margin. Also the first adopters at most things realize they are paying a higher premium to be THE FIRST. One other thing is they are all starting off at low volumes to learn and save money, plus Tesla doesn't have a high volume of 4680 batteries. But I bet Elon really wants to put those badass trucks on the streets, and blow away the world at what can be done!

This 4 motor will probably be called a Plaid and people will have to pay a premium to get them. But eventually, I also think this is a way Tesla thinks they can build the Cybertrucks we reserved at the prices they were wanting to sell them at. In 2019 they quoted those prices for production starting around 2022. They had every intention of selling them at those prices and this is a possible roadmap as to how that can be acheived.

Check out this article written in Dec. 2019 about why Tesla was changing the production order, and it makes this argument.
https://electrek.co/2019/12/06/tesla-cybertruck-production-timeline-update-orders/
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Tesla/ Elon's announcement of a new higher priced version of the Cybertruck
Where was the higher price mentioned? I saw the announcement of quad motor but not of a higher price.

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Where was the higher price mentioned? I saw the announcement of quad motor but not of a higher price.
Lots of ways to explain this.
It makes sense.
Goes with the territory, more motors more money
It's what everyone has been saying all day

Or there's the obvious answer. I ASSUMED !!!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Mentioned this in the main thread, but I feel less informed today than I did yesterday.

I’m not buying into anyone’s assumptions. Right gone backwards all the way back into in pre-announce territory with the Silverado. We know there is going to be a quad motor truck. We are fairly certain we’ll have a dual motor truck. Stainless steel, 4 wheel steering, air suspension, and a vault.

That’s about it.

Presumably the quad motor will be better than the tri motor, but pricing on anything is out the window.

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Since we are just speculating here this comes to mind.
The CT will use a front and rear casting and maybe a battery tray casting to tie them together.
They may even use a single large casting......it has been alluded to before.
They didn't install those massive casting machines in the Giga factory for looks.
This will cut production costs greatly since all the driveline components will be built into those castings.
The body will prob be built as a unit and bolted onto the castings (frame).
No paint which saves more per unit.
Prob the same motors, brakes and other components as the cars saving more money.
Tesla is in this game to make money and they have almost a million and a half pre-orders.
Even if 30 percent of people cancelled their order it would still take them a couple of years to fill existing orders.
As production is scaled up they will find more ways to cut costs and the price will decline as they reach full production in 2025 or 26.
Tesla will be a money printing machine for the next 30 years at least.
Sponsored