HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The strength of an arch comes from its ability to transfer forces through its abutments. Windshield glass isn't constrained at its abutments, rather by the tensile and compressive forces of its flat surfaces. Arched glass like windshields can't take advantage of their arched shape because of their need to expand and contract and not be stressed by the expansion and contraction of their frame.
That's false. The windshield will use high strength adhesives that will make the slight arch shape *very* relevant to its impact resistance.

This could become a safety advantage when hitting a deer or other animal at speed. People have died from deer and elk strikes.

You have no clue what you you are spouting.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This one is the grower. The other one is the shower.

I'd like to see the lasers in action and possibly have that instead of either the grower or the shower.
I calculated how much energy it took to vaporize water and determined it would have a much bigger hit on range than an electric wiper motor. In other words, the only way it could be practical at all is if it was only necessary to vaporize a micrometer right at the surface of the windshield to cause the remaining portions of the drop to not stick or contact the windshield. Even if this were possible, most vehicle codes require a wiper and I don't think a laser would meet the requirement.

Now that the windshield has a bit of a curve to it, I think even that is out of the question. Sorry!

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Those are the headlights, the lightbar between front fascia and hood is a drl.
RVAC is right. The four lights you see at the front of the CyberTruck in this picture cannot be fog lights because of regulations in at least several* states that limit the number of front fog lights to two (2). Two of them may be fog lights, but the other two have to be headlights. The bar is clearly a Daytime Running Lamp.
Tesla Cybertruck The upcoming 2024 Cybertruck styling was brilliant Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 15.01.26

Also of note in this image is the absence of the high mounted light bar. This one from the CyberRodeo is the later version, evidenced by the lack of door handles. There are a few clips in this video that show the top lightbar, but all the ones I could find in this video also had the old pop out door handles. I could find none that conclusively showed both light bar AND no door handles.

*since I don't want to be one of those people who just say like they're some authority like they did with yoke steering wheels and tactile turn signal switches, "That's illegal", here's a few citations:
Arkansas:
(b) FOG LAMPS.
(1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twelve inches (12″) nor more than thirty inches (30″) above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.
https://tinyurl.com/2p9fefkh

Texas Transportation Code
Sec. 547.328
Fog Lamps Permitted
(a)

A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two fog lamps. https://tinyurl.com/56kezcth

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The strength of an arch comes from its ability to transfer forces through its abutments. Windshield glass isn't constrained at its abutments, rather by the tensile and compressive forces of its flat surfaces. Arched glass like windshields can't take advantage of their arched shape because of their need to expand and contract and not be stressed by the expansion and contraction of their frame.

Bending the CyberTruck's windscreen might have some aerodynamic advantage, but I'd be willing to bet that it was more to prevent a large flat surface capable of creating a blinding reflection of the sun.
Wrong, think of an eggshell. Here you go: https://planetaryrenewal.org/ipr/engineering.html

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I have seen the concept in person. The windshield, front valance and frunk hood all had a slight curvature to them. They were not 100% flat.
Which concept? The reveal night one? with the pop out door handles? Or was it the CyberRodeo version without door handles? I haven't seen either in person but one on reveal night appeared to me to be, like dead flat. The later one, as seen in the drone footage above the test track, looked slightly bent. I'll head down the rabbit hole looking for good photos, but if your first hand observations solve the mystery, I'll save myself the deep dive.

N. J. Raglione

First Name
NELSON
Threads
Reaction score
431 Chemin De L'Anse Saint-Placide QC J0V2B0
Vehicles
I ORDERED A CYBERTRUCK.
Occupation
RETIRED ON A PENSION.
Country flag
I agree. Love Its beautiful design and we are soooo fortunate to be apart
If this! Cannot wait!
Hi! Like the design but I do not want a six seat Cyber Truck. Four seats is enough because I do not need a massive wide Truck. If the final production includes a medium sized CT I would love it!

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Wrong, think of an eggshell. Here you go: https://planetaryrenewal.org/ipr/engineering.html
Hoo boy... I started a post to explain why I'm right, but after about 30 minutes to adequately explain the force vectors and constraining requirements, I decided to give up. If I'm to get anywhere with those who disagree you'll first have to agree that mastic isn't a high strength adhesive, flying buttresses are essential, and that eggs are their own abutments.

No? Then I got nothin' 🙄

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hoo boy... I started a post to explain why I'm right, but after about 30 minutes to adequately explain the force vectors and constraining requirements, I decided to give up. If I'm to get anywhere with those who disagree you'll first have to agree that mastic isn't a high strength adhesive, flying buttresses are essential, and that eggs are their own abutments.

No? Then I got nothin' 🙄
Mastic is not a high-strength adhesive. That's why structural windshield adhesives are polyurethanes.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
It's the brilliance of the CyberTruck that has me worried. When flat, shiney panels catch the sun just right, their brilliance can dazzle other motorists, rendering them blinded for a short period. The second CyberTruck prototype seemed to have a slightly curved front windshield, whereas the reveal night one's windshield looked perfectly flat. I wonder if glare was the reason for that change? I'd rather not have people mad at me for hurting their eyes and I really don't want people headed my way blinded by the sun. 😳 :cool:
Wrap it.

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
The BAW does not offend me near as much as the HAM (hideous ass mirrors).

Especially when there is a BETTER alternative; but, Nooooo, we have always done it that way. Come 'on DOT!

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
A wrap defeats one of the reasons I reserved a CyberTruck. I USE my utility vehicles. My '93 Cherokee, my '82 Bronco, and even my '76 Monza became embarrassingly unsightly because of scrapes and dents from use. My wife, who has already named my CyberTruck "Ice Whore", will accept the monstrosity as long as it stays in relatively clean condition. If a wrap develops a bunch of rips and tears, she'd nag me constantly to get rid of it.

A wrap is out of the question!

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
RVAC is right. The four lights you see at the front of the CyberTruck in this picture cannot be fog lights because of regulations in at least several* states that limit the number of front fog lights to two (2). Two of them may be fog lights, but the other two have to be headlights. The bar is clearly a Daytime Running Lamp.

*since I don't want to be one of those people who just say like they're some authority like they did with yoke steering wheels and tactile turn signal switches, "That's illegal", here's a few citations:
Arkansas:
(b) FOG LAMPS.
(1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twelve inches (12″) nor more than thirty inches (30″) above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.
https://tinyurl.com/2p9fefkh

Texas Transportation Code
Sec. 547.328
Fog Lamps Permitted
(a)

A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two fog lamps. https://tinyurl.com/56kezcth
It says:

b. (1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twelve inches (12″) nor more than thirty inches (30″) above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.

c. (1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twenty-four inches (24″) nor more than forty-two inches (42″) above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.

d. (1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than sixteen inches (16″) nor more than forty-two inches (42″) above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.

e. ORNAMENTAL LIGHT-EMITTING DIODES WHITE LIGHTS.  No motor vehicle may be equipped with more than two (2) ornamental light-emitting diodes white lights mounted on the front of the vehicle.
According to that you're also allowed additional lamps. So on the front of the vehicle you can have 2 headlights, 2 ornamental front end lights, 2 fogs, and 2 aux lamps.

I'd bet money that a prerequisite for getting hired to design production vehicles for a major manufacturer is knowing what you legally can and can't do. Things like the side view mirrors are a matter of pushing for a change that had already been made in many other countries. Headlight limitations are a known quantity.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I have seen the concept in person. The windshield, front valance and frunk hood all had a slight curvature to them. They were not 100% flat.
Yes I saw that too. Especially the front valance. When I looked at it, I thought it may be for aero & to help in crash testing. It could be used to deflect objects that come in contact with the CT.
Which concept? The reveal night one? with the pop out door handles? Or was it the CyberRodeo version without door handles? I haven't seen either in person but one on reveal night appeared to me to be, like dead flat. The later one, as seen in the drone footage above the test track, looked slightly bent. I'll head down the rabbit hole looking for good photos, but if your first hand observations solve the mystery, I'll save myself the deep dive.
I went to the Petersen earlier this month and took these photos. The edited in straight lines, are so everyone can see that even though The CT LOOKS like flat planular shapes, it's not! Also notice the reflections and how straight lights have curvature on the CT.

This is part of the beauty of this piece of modern art.

BTW, this is the reveal night CT with door handles, no mirrors, and no BAW.

Tesla Cybertruck The upcoming 2024 Cybertruck styling was brilliant linesfrontqtr

Tesla Cybertruck The upcoming 2024 Cybertruck styling was brilliant lineside

Tesla Cybertruck The upcoming 2024 Cybertruck styling was brilliant linesto
Sponsored

Last edited: