Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Thanks a bunch guys/ gals for sharing. I really enjoy hearing from owners on how much they enjoy their Tesla vehicle ( not so much from people that think they know). I’ve never experienced a ride in a Tesla but I dang sure know what zero to 120mph feels like in 5 secs. Raced HD Vrods for 7 years, so I’m done with the speed part, kind like smooth and quiet now.?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The funny thing about prepped surfaces?

They installed a special traction coating on the corners of the freeway nearest me. It makes a funny noise when you drive over it and damn it smells awful when they're applying it but...

-Crissa

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I have seen many Youtube drag races involving Tesla models and only a few were on "special surfaces" e.g a drag strip . Their AWD traction control gives them a huge advantage over other e and non e cars. They don't need special surfaces to achieve Tesla's published 0-60 times. In several cases they clocked better times.

As has been said, no one "needs" the power and torque that the Tesla's have stock. I like fast and my Model Y Long Range is frighteningly fast. The Performance Model 3 is overkill IMHO.

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I have seen many Youtube drag races involving Tesla models and only a few were on "special surfaces" e.g a drag strip . Their AWD traction control gives them a huge advantage over other e and non e cars. They don't need special surfaces to achieve Tesla's published 0-60 times. In several cases they clocked better times.

As has been said, no one "needs" the power and torque that the Tesla's have stock. I like fast and my Model Y Long Range is frighteningly fast. The Performance Model L is overkill IMHO.
I'm not sure why this has gotten to be such a controversial topic. I haven't seen a single Model S Plaid do 0-60 in under 2 seconds except for the ones that were put on a track with a prepped surface. Other surfaces allowed Tesla to do it in just over 2 seconds. The times are still extremely impressive and beyond anything other production cars can do. The Cybertruck will also beat all other production trucks, but I was just saying most people are buying the Trimotor for the range, not the 2.9 seconds and that it was possible that the vast majoirty of Cybertruck owners won't see the 2.9 second 0-60 time because most people aren't going to buy the wheels and tires needed to achieve that and it's also possible that it might require a prepped surface just like the 1.9 second 0-60 time on the model s plaid.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My claim is that Tesla has released a 0-60 time that required specific wheel size, specific tires, and a prepped surface and that there is a possibility the same could be true for the Cybertruck to meet it's listed 0-60 time. I'm not hating on Tesla or anything like that, I think their 0-60 times are amazing even on a normal road with whatever wheels and tires someone decides to use.

I don't know why you are trying to say it's not clear. They used a prepped surface for the Model S plaid and I think it's possible that they might use a prepped surface for the 0-60 times of both the Model X Plaid and the Cybertruck. Doesn't really matter to me, I won't even be going to anywhere that preps its surface, nor will I be timing my 0-60 time. I'm just saying most people care about range because most people will never even see the listed 0-60 time first hand.
You’re not taking into account the truck weight effect and large tires in making more positive traction.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
More weight and large tires increases both traction and resistance.

I'm not saying that the time is impossible, i'm not even saying faster is impossible. I'm saying that if Tesla released a 0-60 time that required a prepped surface, than they might have done the same with the Cybertruck.

I'm not even complaining about it, i'm just pointing it out. I'm never going to care about the specific time it takes to go from 0-60 because even if it was 4 seconds, that will still feel awesome in a truck. Even when I take it to the track, i'm not going to try to time it, i'm just going to show off to my friends. And if i'm not at the track i'm not going to be some idiot who does 0-60 at a red light and i'm not going to stop at an onramp so i can do 0-60 getting on the highway.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The reason I ordered the Tri-Motor was the 500 mile range, not the 2.8 second 0-60. With the proliferation of Supercharger stations, 300-400 mile range and 4.8 0-60 of the Dual Motor will be just fine.
not 2.8? Hmmm…. I call misinformation.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
All in good fun. I know we all are just excited. Ummmm duh… Cybertruck is BEAST!!! Honestly, the only thing that gets me is why did I wait 6 days? ???

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Funny thing is, it went through on the 7th? I guess that was normalcy. Crissa can contest to this. Get the door motor Chrissa or….. tri?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Keep in mind that the 200 kWh battery and three motors are there so that you can pull a trailer that weighs almost three times what the truck does 200 miles on a charge and get it up to cruising speed in a decent amount of time, even going up hill. The fact that these imply 500 miles range and 0.94g when not pulling a trailer is frosting on the engineers' cake.

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
One of the reasons CT is the first Tesla I consider as a possibility for me is the ride. I care much more about comfort than handling and I have heard despite comfortable seats, long trips especially on bad roads can get rough on Y and 3 Because of tires and wheels. What is your experience? Have you gone on any extended road trips? Do you feel the bumps like sport cars? Or it is comfortable enough for you?
Update on this important issue specifically the long distance comfort factor. I have made 6 trips of 500+ miles with the Model Y LR. On 4 of those I had a hitch bike rack with 2 ebikes and the interior was fully loaded. In regard to the ride, it can be a bit jittery on rough roads but never to the point of annoyance. Being tall (6'5") long drive comfort has been hard to come by in just about any car I have owned.

My last pre Tesla vehicle was a Range Rover and although the ride was nice and smooth, the overall comfort was not comparable to the Y. The seats and seating position of the Y are the best of any vehicle I've been in. Seven hours of driving used to leave me with residual stiffness and pain. The Model Y seats and driving position make a full day of driving almost enjoyable. Really an amazing difference and a testament to the ergonomic design of the Model Y. My wife's Model 3 SR has the same seats and comparable leg room but the sitting position is lower so not quite as comfortable for me.

So to sum it up after 5000+ miles, I couldn't be happier with the Model Y. Like many of you, I am frustrated by delays in the production of the CT but the Model Y makes the waiting much easier and the quality and performance of the Y gives me great confidence that the CT will be an even better travel vehicle ...

Oh and as the Now You Know guys said on a recent Deep Dive episode on Youtube, "It's the Superchargers Stupid"). That is the reason Tesla is, and will most likely always be the EV leader.
Sponsored

Last edited: