TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
Why is there so much animosity toward other manufacturers of EVs? The title was clickbait having little to do with the text of the article. It is highly likely that Ford will beat CT to production. If the CT delivers on price, quality (not guaranteed for early Teslas - track record for early MS and M3 isn't great) and performance then it will be a success and compete well. I went with CT reservation over CT and Rivian because of price and inspite of Tesla's interior (among many things my MS only had two cup holders and they weren't big enough for my coffee travel mug) and the looks of the CT (not a huge fan). I don't know how many of the reservations holders will be price sensitive but I am very price sensitive, if the F150 and CT end up being similarly priced for similar options, I will switch to F150.
Sponsored

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I'm guessing your asked the following more out of a desire for cooperation or at least some decency and respect. It may have been purely rhetorical. I thought I'd answer it anyways.

Why is there so much animosity toward other manufacturers of EVs?
Research suggests that the only prerequisite to create animosity or negativity is to be a part of a group with a name. There's decades of experiments around it and some interesting tidbits: the individual doesn't need to know the other group members, the other group members don't even have to be human, and this starts at an early age among other findings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_identity_theory

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Why is there so much animosity toward other manufacturers of EVs?
I think most of the frustration is pointed at the coverage, not at Ford. That’s certainly what bugs me most.
Total agreement here. I have no animosity towards Ford or those who order a Lightning. No skin off my back. In fact, the more people that choose Ford over CT the more exotic and special my CT will be.

Now do I think the Ford Lightning will outsell the CT? Personally, I don't think it even has a chance. But that is just my opinion. Based on what I've seen Ford doing so far. Based on the vehicle prototypes they have shown. Based on the physics behind the design and engineering decisions that have been made. But YMMV.

What I don't care for is shoddy reporting or outright inaccurate misdirection. The article that this thread is bringing to light is just complete garbage. And is deserving of abject ridicule.

Now since @TomGriff was not specific with his "other manufacturers", he could just be making a general comment about how various EV manufacturers get treated. In my view, Tesla has a fairly large number of fans but it also has far more critics, haters, and outright saboteurs than any other EV manufacturer I've seen. Why do they hate Tesla so? Well, jealousy comes to mind. But who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? (The Shadow of course)

And the other EV manufacturers? Well, I divide that group into 2 subgroups. Those that have actually shipped some EVs and those that have not. For companies that have actually shipped actual EVs to actual outside customers, I congratulate them on their effort. Hopefully, some of those companies will be able to stick around and at least be partially profitable. For companies that have not actually shipped EVs, I have to wonder how many of them are actually just wishful attempts in the minds of dreamers. Or just outright cases of fraud. Till they actually have vehicles shipping I cannot waste my time with them. I might find some desirable. I might want one or two of them (technically I do have a preorder on an Aptera). But I don't spend any real serious time thinking about them because from my perspective they are not real till they have shipping products.

But overall, why is there so much animosity? I think that is just a part of human character. For any topic, there are just a number of people who will criticize. That is to be expected. But when the background level of criticism gets amplified then I start to wonder what is wrong.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We don't see it much here, but that animosity does show up elsewhere. There are some toxic crossover out there that seems to intersect with Tesla fans, or at least so-called fans.

-Crissa

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Not a single one of you have mentioned Ford's choke point to volume production. Batteries.
That is also Tesla's choke point at this time, but for how long?

Can Ford buy enough batteries of high enough quality to reach 80,000 vehicles per year? Buying batteries throws away a lot of the profit that Tesla will be keeping in-house.
Furthermore, will Ford be able to build motors efficient enough to use those batteries without needing 20 percent more batteries per vehicle, further reducing profit.

Will Ford be able to build however many Lightning trucks without losing money on each?
Tesla may be losing money on each CT, at the prices set in the reveal.

Yeah... Ford's a little late to the battery party. ------->
Ford takes its first step toward producing its own electric car batteries
Apr 27, 2021
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/27/22405470/ford-ev-battery-manufacturing-research-center

CyberROD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-keeps-laughing-at-tesla-cybertruck-delays

Let me sum it up, Ford has 160,000 F150L Reservations, CT over 1 Million.
Ford plans to make 20k in 2022, and 50k in 2023, 80k in 2024. CT starts next year as well, "volume in 2023" (I'm assuming thats 5k per week?, that's 260k, but hey lets half it 130k in 2023, 260k in 2024).

So.... CT has more than 6X reservations (the counter is much higher than that). F150L will build 150k+ in 3 years (their current reservations). CT in that same time (3 year average with estimates) will build well over 455k (65k 2022, 130k 2023, 260k 2024) and still have reservations to fill.

As I said, it's hilarious lol.
I have about 20 CT on order and only plan to order 1, I made good money on You Tube making a video ordering said 20 CT's :rolleyes:

CyberROD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
Not a single one of you have mentioned Ford's choke point to volume production. Batteries.
That is also Tesla's choke point at this time, but for how long?

Can Ford buy enough batteries of high enough quality to reach 80,000 vehicles per year? Buying batteries throws away a lot of the profit that Tesla will be keeping in-house.
Furthermore, will Ford be able to build motors efficient enough to use those batteries without needing 20 percent more batteries per vehicle, further reducing profit.

Will Ford be able to build however many Lightning trucks without losing money on each?
Tesla may be losing money on each CT, at the prices set in the reveal.

Yeah... Ford's a little late to the battery party. ------->
Ford takes its first step toward producing its own electric car batteries
Apr 27, 2021
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/27/22405470/ford-ev-battery-manufacturing-research-center
They are very late to the battery party.......good thing they still sell ICE vehicles?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Here's a question I have for Ford/Ford people... How will all these ICE-centric dealers adapt to fixing the electrics? How much EV hate will there be among the advisors and mechanics? I know a good solid percentage of "car guys" are anti-EV. I know that my Tesla contacts are going to be with fanbois like me, but what about taking my "neutered little battery truck" to a testosterone-fueled asshole who doesn't want it to exist, let alone deal with it?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Here's a question I have for Ford/Ford people... How will all these ICE-centric dealers adapt to fixing the electrics? How much EV hate will there be among the advisors and mechanics? I know a good solid percentage of "car guys" are anti-EV. I know that my Tesla contacts are going to be with fanbois like me, but what about taking my "neutered little battery truck" to a testosterone-fueled asshole who doesn't want it to exist, let alone deal with it?
I think the biggest hurdle will be getting them to take a ride in one. Once you do that I think a lot of them will switch teams fairly quickly.

4jamorgan

First Name
Joyce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X 75D
Occupation
Web Developer
Country flag
There will always be a comparison between these two car manufacturers. It's normal since there's always a competition.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I think the biggest hurdle will be getting them to take a ride in one. Once you do that I think a lot of them will switch teams fairly quickly.
I have no idea how that relates to the service problem.

Or which team you think people will go to?

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
My take on Ford's experiment with Electric trucks is simple: They are excited because the are likely have enough orders to sell what they will be producing. BUT they don't care that the number they produce is just a drop in the bucket. So it's about making some money (hopefully for there sake). Not about providing a product for people that want it.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
Total clickbait. I was reading up about the author and he has written 15,000 articles since 2010 according to the link below.

By my math:
11 years * 250 business days a year = 2,750 business days in his career
15,000 articles / 2,750 business days comes to a whopping 5.5 articles every single day ?!?!?!

Even if he is cranking out 1 article per day, that would give him zero time for quality research and fact checking.

https://carbuzz.com/about/jay-traugott

Jim Polkowski

First Name
Jim P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Country flag
https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-keeps-laughing-at-tesla-cybertruck-delays

Let me sum it up, Ford has 160,000 F150L Reservations, CT over 1 Million.
Ford plans to make 20k in 2022, and 50k in 2023, 80k in 2024. CT starts next year as well, "volume in 2023" (I'm assuming thats 5k per week?, that's 260k, but hey lets half it 130k in 2023, 260k in 2024).

So.... CT has more than 6X reservations (the counter is much higher than that). F150L will build 150k+ in 3 years (their current reservations). CT in that same time (3 year average with estimates) will build well over 455k (65k 2022, 130k 2023, 260k 2024) and still have reservations to fill.

As I said, it's hilarious lol.
Yes but Ford will continue to sell ICE Trucks for many many years and for a lot less $$$ and make a profit. I predict in a few years there will be a glut of $50,000 + vehicles sitting around if the Biden bill for tax rebates does not pass.
Sponsored