Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Just finished the update 2024.8.4
And this message popped

IMG_7220.jpeg

IMG_7220.jpeg
I wouldnā€™t be surprised if all manufacturers suggest something like this and you (and I) never paid attention :)

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Rotating wheels every 5k miles is an easy number to remember....and certainly helps for tire longevity.

Off to my garage now to take off the snows for aroad trip to the desert this week....15 minute task

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
Iā€™m surprised itā€™s not way less. On my single motor Model S i have burned through a new set of tires in less than 7 months and less than 4k miles. Sounds crazy but its no joke. If you use grippier / softer tires the torque from Tesla motors will rip through them shockingly fast, especially with the weight of BEVs. Iā€™ll probably rotate my tires about every 3k if the truck tires last longer than sedan tires. One major change from converting from an ICE to a BEV was the shock of the cost of much more frequent tire purchases. Personally I tried touring tires that would in theory have lasted longer and after 1k miles i ditched them because they had so little grip on wet mountain roads I thought they were really dangerous. So those of you that this is going to be your first BEV be ready for more frequent tire rotations and purchases. Itā€™s one of the few things that was way more expensive than with an ICE when I changed over.

My experience FWIW.

Cheers

Cold.Truth

First Name
Big A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 CT AWD, 1987 Carerra, 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Occupation
I.T. Project Management
Country flag
I agree. My 2013 Model S (P85+) went through itā€™s soft 21ā€ performance rear tires annually and the fronts every other year @ $500 each installed. I spent an average of $1500/year on tires and I was driving reasonably >95% of the time. My Model 3 had 18ā€ tires and went 30k miles with one rotation no problem.

TwiztOG43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model Y LR
Country flag
This is pretty much standard on all Teslas.

Just go to Americaā€™s Tire or Discount Tire, they will do it for free.

The only issue is if you have a staggered setup, such as in my Model Y Performance, you can technically rotate them but if the tires are directional, they would have to dismount and remount them which I opted not to do.

They would just inspect and rebalance them.

OP
OP

smggsm

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren fisker sig fisker Echochic
Country flag
I never owned a car with same size tires /wheels .. so rotation new thing to me .. good to know

thedownwardmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MSP, stalks ftw
Country flag
I have a warranty with my tires at a major chain and they rotate for free but expect you to come in every 5k mi. The manual (Model S) suggests 6,250 mi.

So 6k mi. is normal And for something heavy, with expensive tires and a lot of power, it is wise to rotate properly.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
I am not surprised by the recommendation of 6,250, especially for an all terrain tire that holds up a 6,603 pound vehicle. I have always rotated my tires at an oil change anyways.
I agree! Whenever I have not rotated tires during regular annual service (apparently BMW guys donā€™t do that it seems), my tires have worn out unevenly, causing me extra $$ to throw away good tires that had some life left in them. So itā€™s better to be safe than sorry. Highly recommend rotating tires at the recommended interval. Iā€™m glad Tesla is warning owners. Most donā€™t and owners end up replacing good tires just because two of the other tires lost tread unevenly!

Tedacules

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I3
Country flag
This is pretty much standard on all Teslas.

Just go to Americaā€™s Tire or Discount Tire, they will do it for free.

The only issue is if you have a staggered setup, such as in my Model Y Performance, you can technically rotate them but if the tires are directional, they would have to dismount and remount them which I opted not to do.

They would just inspect and rebalance them.
Costco!
Sponsored