Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Most of the HW suggestions (some kind of pass through, front device mounting, fifth wheel, rack mounts, fold flat seats, console, HVAC in bed, some form of solar) seem reasonable and have at least received a nod from Tesla, so these may appear at some point in time.

I think for the [lack of general] utility of it compared to the cost and complexity to integrate it, I wouldn’t expect a 4-wheel steering system. I could see a vectoring approach because the hardware will already be there and could be a software feature.

I am surprised that vehicle-wide integration and control of the compressor didn’t make it to the list but the 4-wheel steering did.

Developing an app API, IDE, and securing it with HW/SW firewalls would take years unless they partner with Apple or Google (or some such), and Tesla doesn’t ‘do’ partnering. As such, and despite the interest by some communities, I wouldn’t expect this anytime soon.

Having the ability to hook up arbitrary devices or use the CT as your own computer is even worse for Tesla. I wouldn’t expect to see that ever. They might allow the use of external keyboards or monitors; things that use existing communications and data protocols Tesla has probably already implemented and are already secure, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for them to give you control. I wouldn’t.

I do expect Tesla to offer as an option the ability to control the lights, for commercial, emergency, or military use, but I wouldn’t expect an easy wired solution like the USB ports as an option. Perhaps you should push for a wireless (WiFi or Bluetooth) solution instead.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I don't believe that either mattress would fit in the bed unless if there is that full passthrough because the bed is only 6 feet long and every mattress is longer than six feet long. Being 6' 1", I couldn't even lay down in the CT, much less fit a mattress in there.
I don't know where you got 6' for the length of the bed. Every source I've seen says 6.5' which works out to 78". The width has been debated a lot but the general consensus is 57". So, probably not wide enough for Queen size mattress.

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
I don't know where you got 6' for the length of the bed. Every source I've seen says 6.5' which works out to 78". The width has been debated a lot but the general consensus is 57". So, probably not wide enough for Queen size mattress.
A 60” vault width really would make the CT special because it could accommodate a comfortable mattress, a major RV selling point..

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
Let’s put it another way. With a stainless steel vault and air suspension underneath you wouldn’t need a foundation for the queen mattress.

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Yeah, I was going to write that I meant 6' 5" for the bed, which is still too short for most mattresses.

BigDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y LR, Cyber Truck to come
Country flag
I don't believe that either mattress would fit in the bed unless if there is that full passthrough because the bed is only 6 feet long and every mattress is longer than six feet long. Being 6' 1", I couldn't even lay down in the CT, much less fit a mattress in there.
I believe the box ID is 57"x78".

OP
OP
cybertrucktruckguy

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
To me, the biggest difference is the fact that the tonneau cover is integrated into the design, solving one of the big issues.

I will say that between myself and few of my buddies, we always thought that anyone driving an avalanche was kind of a tool and I'm sure a lot of people will view CT owners the same way.

OP
OP
cybertrucktruckguy

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
A king size mattress is 76” x 78”. A queen size mattress is 60” x 78”. Neither of these will fit flat into a Sprinter because of the rear wheel wells. Which one will fit into the CT bed? A Sprinter is now the basis for most Class C RV’s.
There are a couple of aftermarket guys that make air mattresses to fit the EXACT size of different beds. I expect them to do versions for the CT.

OP
OP
cybertrucktruckguy

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Ford E-150 Generator. NOT!!!!
There is really nothing on your list I'd care for. Now a pair of swivel captain's chairs for the front seat especially when they release FSD would be #1 on my list. Maybe a HUD since I'm not a big fan of only having screen off to the side.
I'm increasingly liking the idea of removable seats so that aftermarket guys can make a bunch of different options and you just remove the stock ones and put in your custom ones. Probably harder to do on front seats than rear seats though, given the heating and power adjustments.

OP
OP
cybertrucktruckguy

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Can not use Rivian tank turn on hard surfaces or softer surfaces you do not want too tear up. Tank turn really can only be used on slick or slippery surfaces and is no use for towing.
4 wheel steering is much better. Some military vehicles have it. GM Quadrasteer seems to have been pretty reliable.

I cannot think of reason I'd need the extra maneuverability that wasn't either off roading or snow plowing so my bias is showing. I've been assuming 4 wheel steering adds some addl cost because rear wheels don't normally do that and that the torque vectoring approach is something that could be done at no addl cost.

OP
OP
cybertrucktruckguy

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
You have listed nice features, and all of them and even more are preferable to have from tesla home. But I have a question for you: Are you willing to pay for all that you've listed? Or you expect to have it for $39 900? Sometimes people are over expected from Cybertruck. Who else offers all these features, Ford? Rivian? GM? ... Therefore share price dropped down after battery day. Noone actually heard about the new technology tesla is having on the road, everyone was expecting to hear 1 mln mile battery and V2G. If tesla puts everything you've listed in the Cybertruck it would cost no less than $180,000.
And now think again, do you really wanna have it for this money? I do not need anything of this, just keep the price as low as it can be. If I need something - I will make it work for me.
This is a good question. I'm not an engineer so I cant really speak authoritatively to this. Many of the features/options I think people want MIGHT be things that could be engineered into the design with very little additional cost. Obviously if they aren't practical or affordable, then Tesla can throw the idea to the curb. For instance, the full pass through is something that's already been done in other vehicles and elon himself said it was 'worth considering'. Same thing with something like dynamic, bi-directional charging. Seems like if you're already putting outlets into the bed WHY NOT add this features so that people have no reason to choose the electric F`50 over the CT?

That said, it is all about tradeoffs so if it would drive the price up, I'd say no. Affordability first, then options.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
cybertrucktruckguy already mostly filtered the ideas to things only Tesla can do that need to be in the base vehicle.

I think the dynamic charge is well worth a little extra cost.
Maybe 1st buyer does not use but it will help resale. 2nd owner might need.
Main traction battery (non replaceable) will degrade over time.
A modular extra battery will help compensate.

As newer cheaper batteries become available buying external gives old truck more range.

joeguy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Country flag
External roof rack attachment points would be great.
I would love the Tesla camper to be a hard shell clamshell camper type over the tent picture they gave.
Tesla Cybertruck Top 15 Cybertruck Features/Accessories Power Ranking (Video) 1603200238116

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
External roof rack attachment points would be great.
I would love the Tesla camper to be a hard shell clamshell camper type over the tent picture they gave.
1603200238116.jpeg
Simply install the tent system over the top of the rear hatch with a couple of rods that slip into the hatch seal grooves. The truck hatch could easily become the main support for a larger tent system extending to the rear of the truck. It would be quick and easy to set up Using the open hatch as the main support.
Sponsored