g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I can attest to the strength of the “exoskeleton” since I got sideswiped
Been trying to see if you got an estimate yet for the repair on that incident?
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If I did not let my guys take their work trucks home they would quit, some of them live 30+ miles from the office and them driving 30 miles to the office, then if the jobsite was 20-30 miles the other direction it could easily be a 120 mile day. With big loads the CT won't do much over 100 miles and that is at 100% to zero and I don't want the batteries getting slammed to 100% every day, or running dead on the side of the road.
CT is fine for a trip to the store or to run to a jobsite but for towing don't think it is viable for a business.
If it's a real work truck I would always have the guys who take it home charge it to 100% every workday. The batteries aren't that delicate, so if not abused by being left sitting at very high or very low levels for extended periods they hold up really well. The trips to and from work won't be towing heavy loads, and there are fast chargers for edge use cases.

It's business, you are amortizing its usefulness. If you use it enough to need out of warranty battery replacement then you are getting your money's worth out of the truck and the batteries you use.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I love hearing Tesla naysayers pontificate in a factual, self-assured voice about how "EV's can't tow" and EV's aren't good for long-distance towing". But it's rarely factual or based on real world experience. Sometimes you just have to know what you're doing! Hint: one secret is to kick back, relax, and cruise along at 60 mph.

Here's a very informative EV towing blog post by Andy Thompson of Can-Am who has a lot of interesting insights as he tows his 27' Airstream From Ontario to Colorado and back home using his Tesla Model S. Yes, he uses a weight distribution hitch and makes good time and arrives relaxed.

Tesla Towing: London to Colorado and Back - Blog - Airstreams | Campers London | Travel Trailers for sale (canamrv.ca)

Last edited:

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Charging your work EV at home seems like a pretty good use case for the business. No need to install dozens of chargers at the shop. Cheaper than buying gas. No time wasting stop at the convenience store to fuel by your employees. No need to drive to the shop before the first appointment (which could already be on the side of town where the employee lives with good assignment routing software).

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Charging your work EV at home seems like a pretty good use case for the business. No need to install dozens of chargers at the shop. Cheaper than buying gas. No time wasting stop at the convenience store to fuel by your employees. No need to drive to the shop before the first appointment (which could already be on the side of town where the employee lives with good assignment routing software).
And you can easily rewire at work site to have 240v outlet for trickle charge on downtime.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And you can easily rewire at work site to have 240v outlet for trickle charge on downtime.
If I had a business running a fleet of EV trucks, I wouldn't mess with electrical outlets, I would just hardwire some charging pedestals (or wall mounted) charging stations. Less stuff to go wrong and they could do intelligent load sharing, if the situation warranted.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
We at Signcraft Premier Identity Solutions drive an average of 200 miles to jobsite when we work out of town.
Is that Signcraft Premier Identity Solutions located in Roseburg, Oregon USA?

For readers not familiar with Roseburg, Oregon and southwest Oregon area.

At 100% highway high speed (70 mph on level ground, no stop/go, no local streets, no steep grades up mountain), 200 miles TO jobsite (one-way distance) is almost 3 hours. Unless all travel is immediately adjacent to Interstate I-5, most 200 miles one way trips in that area are going to be more than 3 hours. In winter there could be weeks when weather & road conditions would cause travel time to double or triple.

I have lived in Eugene, Oregon and Portland, Oregon and did business all up and down western USA (Canadian border to Mexican border). I driven THROUGH Roseburg, Oregon area probably over 50 times on the way to places far far away from Roseburg. Roseburg and radius even 50 miles (100 mi diameter ) are very beautiful but even the whole 50mi radius area has fewer than 350K people (much fewer people than #85 on the list, Spokane, WA 40mi radius area with 738K) .

Towing 200 miles one way, is very likely a far outer edge case not the majority of business towing using 150/1500/2500 class full-size pickup trucks.

--------------------------------

Calculate the estimated population within any area on a map.
Population discovery map to enable you to create an area or radius to estimate how many people live in the area selected. This mapping tool can be used to determine a location's population anywhere in the world.
https://www.maps.ie/population/

Location pinpoint for radius: Oregon National Guard Roseburg Armory, Roseburg, OR, USA
Radius: 80 km ( 49.71 Miles )
---- Results ----
Population 265.513

Roseburg is in the county of Douglas, OR, USA.
Population of counties in the area that are nearby AND along main interstate or state highway:
Douglas, OR 112,297
Josephine, OR 87,487
Curry, OR 22,925

plus Town of Medford, OR ( in Jackson County, OR) 85,556

Roseburg, Oregon, USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseburg,_Oregon

Last edited:

Eliot Minaise

First Name
Eliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Is that Signcraft Premier Identity Solutions located in Roseburg, Oregon USA?

For readers not familiar with Roseburg, Oregon and southwest Oregon area.

At 100% highway high speed (70 mph on level ground, no stop/go, no local streets, no steep grades up mountain), 200 miles TO jobsite (one-way distance) is almost 3 hours. Unless all travel is immediately adjacent to Interstate I-5, most 200 miles one way trips in that area are going to be more than 3 hours. In winter there could be weeks when weather & road conditions would cause travel time to double or triple.

I have lived in Eugene, Oregon and Portland, Oregon and did business all up and down western USA (Canadian border to Mexican border). I been THROUGH Roseburg, Oregon probably over 50 times on the way to places far far away from Roseburg, Oregon. Roseburg, Oregon and radius even 50 miles (100 mi diameter ) are very beautiful but even the whole area has fewer than 350K people (much fewer people than #85 on the list, Spokane, WA 40mi radius area with 738K) .

Towing 200 miles one way, is very likely a far outer edge case not the majority of business towing using 150/1500/2500 class full-size pickup trucks.

Calculate the estimated population within any area on a map.
Population discovery map to enable you to create an area or radius to estimate how many people live in the area selected. This mapping tool can be used to determine a location's population anywhere in the world.
https://www.maps.ie/population/

Location pinpoint for radius: Oregon National Guard Roseburg Armory, Roseburg, OR, USA
Radius: 80 km ( 49.71 Miles )
---- Results ----
Population 265.513

Roseburg is in the county of Douglas, OR, USA.
Population of counties in the area that are nearby AND along main interstate or state highway:
Douglas, OR 112,297
Josephine, OR 87,487
Curry, OR 22,925

plus Town of Medford, OR ( in Jackson County, OR) 85,556

Roseburg, Oregon, USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseburg,_Oregon

???? What does population have to do with anything? 🤣🤣

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Let me, let me answer please?

More of 'em people and you csn be sure couples are having more fun at night? 🤣

Last edited:

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
If it's a real work truck I would always have the guys who take it home charge it to 100% every workday. The batteries aren't that delicate, so if not abused by being left sitting at very high or very low levels for extended periods they hold up really well. The trips to and from work won't be towing heavy loads, and there are fast chargers for edge use cases.

It's business, you are amortizing its usefulness. If you use it enough to need out of warranty battery replacement then you are getting your money's worth out of the truck and the batteries you use.
The charge time and battery size of the cybertruck are the real killers. The CT could have blown by the other EV trucks with decent charging and a bigger battery pack and competed with ICE trucks for work trucks.
I think Tesla realized that most people will be driving these from their home garage chargers to the mall and back and cut the larger pack which would have delivered the 500+ miles we were initially sold and for some reason put a charging system that can't keep up with a slew of other EVs.

Until the charging is fixed and the battery size is increased the CT will be viable for short route pool guys and candlemakers but will struggle as a work truck. It does make a nice minivan or SUV replacement for driving performance although it gives up a lot of comforts and luxuries at the pricepoint.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

It is might be a proxy for comparing different locations and potential amount of commercial activity.

In a large area, lower population probably means fewer businesses, fewer trucks.

Trying to estimate what % of 150/1500/250/2500 class pickup trucks tow 100 miles or less round trip.

Ford, GM, RAM, Tesla, Toyota, Nissan know the answer. Any billion $ company or $ billionaire person can easily get a very good estimate in a couple of days by hiring any one of the hundreds of research companies that charge $10s-100s thousand for the answer.

Us regular people have to guess using free public information.

Higher population density probably means more business activity but each business truck needs to travel fewer miles to serve same number of customers.

Some states much geographically smaller than Oregon have many more trucks.
Illinois
Florida
North Carolina
New York
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Ohio
Virginia
Indiana
Wisconsin

State of Maryland is about 1 tenth size of Oregon but Maryland has more trucks. Probably very few business pickup trucks in Maryland need to make time expensive (6 hour travel) & cost expensive 400mi round-trip to customer. There will be competitors a lot closer to most long distance customers.

---------------------------------------------

Private and commercial truck registrations in the U.S. in 2021, by state
Dec 19, 2023
Published by Statista Research Department
https://www.statista.com/statistics...ate-and-commercial-trucks-in-the-us-by-state/

Tesla Cybertruck Towed a 10,400 pound generator today! 1711753097691-w

---------------------------------------------

List of U.S. states and territories by area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_area

Land area
State / territory
Square miles
570,641​
261,232​
155,779​
145,546​
121,298​