Two Recent Tesla Patents (Feb/March 2022)

RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
A couple of Tesla patents were recently approved/issued that I thought were of interest...Will we see either of these in the Cybertruck? Time will tell....

* Tesla was just granted a patent on March 1 that is related to a new wiring system architecture for cars. The gist of it seems to be a backbone wiring system that everything is connected to, instead of running 12v wires to everything. Interesting...

tinyurl.com/mr9swvac

* A second patent was granted to Tesla in late February for an automatic tire-inflation system with through-hub air feed...Sounds like that would eliminate manually airing up tires in the future....Very nice...

tinyurl.com/2tnh5874
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A couple of Tesla patents were recently approved/issued that I thought were of interest...Will we see either of these in the Cybertruck? Time will tell....

* Tesla was just granted a patent on March 1 that is related to a new wiring system architecture for cars. The gist of it seems to be a backbone wiring system that everything is connected to, instead of running 12v wires to everything. Interesting...

tinyurl.com/mr9swvac
A while back Sandy Munro was interviewing Elon and they got talking about replacing the power and communications systems on the car with a 48 volt system which was more like power over Ethernet. Sounds like thats what this might be. Patent speak always confuses me though so I wasn’t quite sure if it was one powered line inside the sheath with 2 insulated lines or with 5 lines, 2 which are insulated and 2 which are not.

Regardless, the idea here is rather than having a bunch of wires with home runs, you have a single braid which feeds power and signal to the whole car.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A while back Sandy Munro was interviewing Elon and they got talking about replacing the power and communications systems on the car with a 48 volt system which was more like power over Ethernet. Sounds like thats what this might be. Patent speak always confuses me though so I wasn’t quite sure if it was one powered line inside the sheath with 2 insulated lines or with 5 lines, 2 which are insulated and 2 which are not.

Regardless, the idea here is rather than having a bunch of wires with home runs, you have a single braid which feeds power and signal to the whole car.
No, that's a different one!

This one is using a stiff frame of wiring bus that snaps into place, like traces on a circuit board or the backplate of a wiring cabinet. Then the stuff snaps into place against it.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

This one is using a stiff frame of wiring bus that snaps into place, like traces on a circuit board or the backplate of a wiring cabinet. Then the stuff snaps into place against it.

-Crissa
Ah.

But it’s still fundamentally a data/ power conduit, just rigid, not a flexible wire?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

tinyurl.com/mr9swvac

* A second patent was granted to Tesla in late February for an automatic tire-inflation system with through-hub air feed...Sounds like that would eliminate manually airing up tires in the future....Very nice...

tinyurl.com/2tnh5874
NICE.

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag

-Crissa
One very practical advantage of a wiring bus for consumers will be a reduced risk from rats chewing through wire insulation. In California, I have friends using noisemakers and various aromatic sprays to keep rats from nesting in their internal combustion engine compartments. Of course, the Cybertruck may be well sealed against anything getting inside. Our rats will be confused by the lack of handles ?

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag

tinyurl.com/mr9swvac

tinyurl.com/2tnh5874
Tire fill was probably part of the Semi design for dual wheel application?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ah.

But it’s still fundamentally a data/ power conduit, just rigid, not a flexible wire?
Yeah. It should be much easier to install onto the vehicle. One step instead of tucking wires everywhere.

One very practical advantage of a wiring bus for consumers will be a reduced risk from rats chewing through wire insulation. In California, I have friends using noisemakers and various aromatic sprays to keep rats from nesting in their internal combustion engine compartments. Of course, the Cybertruck may be well sealed against anything getting inside. Our rats will be confused by the lack of handles ?
Yeah, we just fought off a series of brown rats. Never had them stay inside before! Usually an application of sage smudging to their nest will get them to evacuate but they dug in deeper. We even used sonic and cold, but... We had to deploy actual kill traps this time ;-; In one night, my spouse got two adult browns, two juveniles, and a black (roof) rat. Later we got two more adolescent browns and another roof rat. And just this week one of the abandoned (oops) traps got one of the small packrats.

I rebuilt the mesh around plumbing, as I think that's how they were getting in. I have most of the house wrapped in hardware cloth or chicken wire now. Still some gaps I can't cover... We lost our good ratting cat last summer ;-; I loved that cat. Even the last week before she died (she had just completed chemo for leukemia) she caught one of the browns.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I had perceived a cable incorporating all the different elements.. Communication, low and higher voltage all in one. Somewhat like say HDMI which can carry picture and sound/USB, Data/power.

I had envisaged the trick would have been to be able to easily 'spilce' into the cable, say using a clip to divert the relevant cable whilst still keeping the connection intact. Imagine mission impossible when they splice into a camera cable to view it, without effecting the other end.

So, Ive got the cable running up the guts of the car somehow incorporated in the battery pack, carrying all services, and they just clip to go left and right to each wheel, it continues to the back for the lights, for trailer connections, hitch camera etc.

1 cable to rule them all

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Ah.

Overall yes, but the key is that the endpoints need to be addressable/intelligent so they can filter out the messages meant for them.

There have already been designs like this for house wiring, where the lights (and outlets) be installed anywhere on the bus and then addressed to individually turn on. Not to be confused with the bluetooth lights that can do that wirelessly.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Overall yes, but the key is that the endpoints need to be addressable/intelligent so they can filter out the messages meant for them.

There have already been designs like this for house wiring, where the lights (and outlets) be installed anywhere on the bus and then addressed to individually turn on. Not to be confused with the bluetooth lights that can do that wirelessly.
Yeah, there are a lot of inexpensive chips out there for this. I’m guessing there is a little microcontroller for each light array and the cameras probably plug right into this as well. I wonder if they run a full IP stack or something simpler.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Tire fill was probably part of the Semi design for dual wheel application?
Yes. Dwgs are Semi 10 wheel tractor shown. Claims detail full floating hubs, sealed bearings and air channeled axel shafts/spindles.

Patent would be applicable to full floating hubs on Cybertruck. This would be a separate mini-system, 4 wheels for pickup implementation. No provision is called out for extending the system beyond to spare tires or to a trailer axel and wheels.

Why do I have an impulse to replace the “air” with Halon gas and pipe into Semi’s battery pack to create a fire suppression system?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Why do I have an impulse to replace the “air” with Halon gas and pipe into Semi’s battery pack to create a fire suppression system?
So for the Semi, if the tires are filled with Halon, when a tire catches fire, will it self extinguish as it bursts open?

Or could there be a fire suppression outlet just above the tires so you can extinguish a tire fire immediately from the cab?

PAPAB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota Highlander 2022 Model Y LR
Country flag

-Crissa

I think Sandy said on one of his videos, that typically the wiring harness was so flimsy that it had to be installed by a human hand...but a 'stiff' wiring harness could be installed by a robot........thus saving $.

Bud

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah. It should be much easier to install onto the vehicle. One step instead of tucking wires everywhere.

Yeah, we just fought off a series of brown rats. Never had them stay inside before! Usually an application of sage smudging to their nest will get them to evacuate but they dug in deeper. We even used sonic and cold, but... We had to deploy actual kill traps this time ;-; In one night, my spouse got two adult browns, two juveniles, and a black (roof) rat. Later we got two more adolescent browns and another roof rat. And just this week one of the abandoned (oops) traps got one of the small packrats.

I rebuilt the mesh around plumbing, as I think that's how they were getting in. I have most of the house wrapped in hardware cloth or chicken wire now. Still some gaps I can't cover... We lost our good ratting cat last summer ;-; I loved that cat. Even the last week before she died (she had just completed chemo for leukemia) she caught one of the browns.

-Crissa
Black Snakes will take care of your problem.
Sponsored