dadmakefire

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Cybertruck (preorders)
Country flag
I have dual motor res now. I will upgrade to tri at order time if I can afford it, mostly for the range, and a little for towing power. I plan to start building tiny houses and it would be baller to deliver them in a CT.
Sponsored

AndyChau

First Name
andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
I just upgraded to the tri motor as well. I really have no idea why. I might go back to dual motor down the road with more info.
I ordered the Tri motor as well. How much do you think we would have to put down when it is time to purchase?

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Did the exact same thing!

Not just for the extra range, not just for the added oomph, not just because I wouldn't lose my place in line, not just because it would probably be easier to resell if I wanted, but because it makes it that much more likely that I will get my Cybertruck earlier since Tesla is likely building/delivering them first for the highest margins as well as the on-road exposure to follow. And can you imagine the number of YouTube videos that will be coming out?

Homey D Clown

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Toyota Tundra
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I went from the dual motor to the tri motor, because I tow a 10,000lb+ boat a long distance and some of my regular road trips are over 300 miles round trip. My current ICE truck is rated for 10,000lbs towing but it's not real happy about it when I do, and it feels like I'm pushing the envelope on what it was designed to do.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I'm still sticking with the single motor $40.
its replacing my prius and old toyota pickup.
After tax, and add ons it will be probably 50k

$10k for another motor and 50 miles range isn't worth it for me. Considering an entire model 3 or s battery back can be bought for 10k, effectively doubling range.

And $70k+7k tax is well equipped sprinter camper van price.
If ct was instead a high roof, long range van I'd easily spend 80k

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
For people who need the range or towing capacity, the extra cost is probably fair. To go from 300 miles to 500 miles would require almost double the battery due to more weight.

I am going for 250 or 300 because I drive about 15 miles a day and have nothing to tow. Leaning towards 300 for AWD for snow. For the few times a year I need more than 200 miles in a day I will gladly pay for charging stations.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I'm still sticking with the single motor $40.
its replacing my prius and old toyota pickup.
After tax, and add ons it will be probably 50k

$10k for another motor and 50 miles range isn't worth it for me. Considering an entire model 3 or s battery back can be bought for 10k, effectively doubling range.

And $70k+7k tax is well equipped sprinter camper van price.
If ct was instead a high roof, long range van I'd easily spend 80k
Living in Cali it's easy to say all I need is a rear wheel drive Cybertruck. I agree, that was what I reserved the night of the reveal. What changed my mind to the dual motor was 2 full seconds off 0-60 and at 4.5 sec. that blows away a Ford Raptor even. 2.9 seconds seems ridiculous to me. With the single motor moving back in production doesn't help. Plus, an all-wheel drive with 50 extra miles of range. Then I thought about years from now when my son may resell it I think the single will be like comparing a 64 Mustang with a 6 cylinder to a V8. $10,000 more on a $40,000 vehicle isn't that big of a leap. Also, compare it to a Model Y for $53,000. Way more vehicle and quicker. 16 less miles of range, still NO BRAINER.

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Living in Cali it's easy to say all I need is a rear wheel drive Cybertruck. I agree, that was what I reserved the night of the reveal. What changed my mind to the dual motor was 2 full seconds off 0-60 and at 4.5 sec. there blows away a Ford Raptor even. 2.9 seconds seems ridiculous to me. With the single motor moving back in production doesn't help. Plus, an all-wheel drive with 50 extra miles of range. Then I though about years from now when my son may resell it I think the single will be like comparing a 64 Mustang with a 6 cylinder to a V8. $10,000 more on a $40,000 vehicle isn't that big of a leap. Also, compare it to a Model Y for $53,000. Way more vehicle and quicker. 16 less miles of range, still NO BRAINER.
For me, I dont use a large truck for going fast, even when I had a fast car, I almost never smashed foot down 0-60. Motorcycle is for that.
But I like the classic mustang analogy, I was thinking about when it becomes an icon some 40 years in the future, the base cheap model will actually be rarer than the other 2, based on reservation numbers. But of course wont warrent higher resale prices. I think they want to make A LOT of these trucks

Last edited:
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Rolls Royce Phantom EWB
Occupation
CEO
Country flag
I ordered the Tri-motor with full self-driving right from the start but not just for range, speed, camping and utility, but as an investment. Interest rates on car loans will remain low in 2021, so the difference in price will be very manageable on a monthly basis which can be fully covered by renting a couple days a month on TURO or TESLA NETWORK. Also, FSD will continue to increase in price so locking in now will save thousands later. Once the CT hits the streets I predict that demand will SOAR. This will translate into high resale value and very low depreciation. The Tri-Motor with FSD will command the highest resale value when you're ready to upgrade to a newer version with 800 to 1000 mile range.

jperkey

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 WT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven't seen this anywhere is I apologize in advance if I have missed it.
Are the mileage numbers being quoted for a loaded truck (with the 3500 payload)? I expect not thus my question.
Any idea on real world mileage numbers with an average payload (2 Adults and 500 lbs.)
Any idea what the mileage would be for 6 adults and 3500 lbs.?

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Funny, I did the same thing today. I did it because I wanted the extra range for back country exploring. I also added the full self driving. In the specs with the tri motor it said that auto pilot was standard. I assume that the full self driving is not auto pilot. It that correct?
Correct. FSD is NOT auto pilot. Auto Pilot is enhanced cruise control for lack of a better term. You still have to be alert and paying attention. You are still driving the vehicle, even though it will be doing lane changes, maintaining lanes, slowing, accelerating, etc.

FSD will be no human operating the vehicle. The technology isn't quite there yet, but you can "pre buy" this option.

I have always wanted to know what would happen if FSD never comes to be....will you get your money back?

Either way i added it to my reservation too lol
Sponsored

Last edited: