Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
This new category of pickup falls more into the 3/4 ton segment. The payload capacity, exterior body durability and HP/torque numbers must have gotten the attention of the the Big 3. I predict that they will not take any action until they actually see significant sales of the Cybertruck once it’s released.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
This will revolutionize how we look at trucks in general over the next few years.
I think a lot of SUV owners will gravitate to the CT for its versatility.
The implications are huge.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
very smart about the production cost reduction. as people dont think about that.
but one thing people never mention is the fact that the material per vehicle will be substantially more expensive.

Im sure Tesla has done the cost analysis of steel and stamping vs the 3mm-ish stainless folding and welding.
but as a simple example I can buy a 5x10ft sheet of 14 guage (.075inch) mild steel for $140.
while a sheet or 5x10ft 304 series stainless 11 gauge(.120) is about 850$
this is of course consumer prices but still it proves the point.

MO Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 Dodge, 19 gmc, 3 motor CT on order
Country flag
How many trucks did he say they can produce a year?

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
Yes. I could see Tesla selling 500K of these in 2023 and 1M+ in 2025. Think about how many people/companies/Gov will finally realize how much better this is than the old ICE trucks. And by 2025 the specs and $ will be even better, and FSD will be in full effect.

Yes, Ford & GM will have their own EV trucks by then but they will still be WAY behind in capability and price and by then the CT design will be way less shocking than it is today.

Mark my words, save this post for Dec 31, 2025!

TX.Cyber

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2018 Model S and 2019 Model X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Agree or disagree with the predictions and forecasts in this video?

Absolutely agree. I am amazed at the frozen "deer in the headlights" response of the existing pickup truck manufacturers. I am sure there are some very talented people within Ford/GM/Dodge, but apparently they are trapped within their own organizational constraints (from their organization / culture / way of doing things to their legacy factories, union agreements and dealership relationships). Technical challenges are easier to meet / overcome than business models.... which are the soul of the company!

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
This new category of pickup falls more into the 3/4 ton segment. The payload capacity, exterior body durability and HP/torque numbers must have gotten the attention of the the Big 3. I predict that they will not take any action until they actually see significant sales of the Cybertruck once it’s released.
By then it will be too late. Tesla will dominate the market. The big 3 are probably already working on all-electric trucks, but we'll see if they can scale up their production and market in the face of an onslaught by Tesla.

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
By then it will be too late. Tesla will dominate the market. The big 3 are probably already working on all-electric trucks, but we'll see if they can scale up their production and market in the face of an onslaught by Tesla.
It's already too late. Even if a company decided they pretty much want to copy the Cybertruck exactly at this point, Tesla will beat them to market. And at a lower price point (with its battery cost advantages) and more range (with its battery tecGM hnology advantage). And with its supercharger network as extra benefit.

Ford and GM already have electric trucks in the works - electric F150 and the electric Hummer. But so far no info indicates that either of these will be complete rethinks of the pickup / truck, but rather just the conventional pickup formula and form, only with full electric drivetrain.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Wonder where Lordstown (with their hub motors) will fit into all this.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
Absolutely agree.

I never considered buying a truck in the past and have no interest in anything but the Cybertruck.

It’s a Tesla, range, lockable storage, supercharger network. Many other features unique to Tesla that also make this special.

It’s the perfect vehicle for our many trips.

Roslyn

First Name
Roslyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isuzu Tracker II 1988, Ford Explorer 1993
Occupation
Anthropologist
Country flag
I've seen little consideration of what I think will be an important market: little old ladies, like me. Having grown up in the '60s, our minds were opened to consider ways things might be done, not just going along with what the past offered us. Subsequent generations are almost laughably conservative in many ways. We grew up in a much more affluent era, and continue to enjoy its financial advantages. I'm glad for the stainless steel body because it won't rust. It's hard to accept that the '88 Isuzu Trooper II that took a bullet for me (sturdy bush bumper took the force when I hit a moose: Mountie said I probably would not have survived in a 'normal' car) is starting to show rust, and soon will have to be 'put out to pasture'. Even minor body work on 'conventional' is not cheap, body parts crumple, and paint chips and cracks. The Cybertruck avoids this 'planned obsolescence'. Imperfect performance notwithstanding, AutoPilot is still, on average, a much safer driver than human drivers. I've always been a timid driver; Cybertruck will be of great help on less-than-great mountain highways, particularly during the winter. (I saw video of a Tesla avoiding a pig on the road; I'd guess the Cybertruck would avoid moose, too.) And -- of vastly greater significance than has been appreciated -- AutoPilot will give assistance to aging drivers who otherwise might have to give up driving entirely, a terrible restriction, especially where there is no useful public transportation systems. That freedom is almost priceless. OK, jaws are going to drop when a grey-haired, little (5'2", 105 lb.) old (70) lady steps out. But I've ridden dragons ....

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
I've seen little consideration of what I think will be an important market: little old ladies, like me. Having grown up in the '60s, our minds were opened to consider ways things might be done, not just going along with what the past offered us. Subsequent generations are almost laughably conservative in many ways. We grew up in a much more affluent era, and continue to enjoy its financial advantages. I'm glad for the stainless steel body because it won't rust. It's hard to accept that the '88 Isuzu Trooper II that took a bullet for me (sturdy bush bumper took the force when I hit a moose: Mountie said I probably would not have survived in a 'normal' car) is starting to show rust, and soon will have to be 'put out to pasture'. Even minor body work on 'conventional' is not cheap, body parts crumple, and paint chips and cracks. The Cybertruck avoids this 'planned obsolescence'. Imperfect performance notwithstanding, AutoPilot is still, on average, a much safer driver than human drivers. I've always been a timid driver; Cybertruck will be of great help on less-than-great mountain highways, particularly during the winter. (I saw video of a Tesla avoiding a pig on the road; I'd guess the Cybertruck would avoid moose, too.) And -- of vastly greater significance than has been appreciated -- AutoPilot will give assistance to aging drivers who otherwise might have to give up driving entirely, a terrible restriction, especially where there is no useful public transportation systems. That freedom is almost priceless. OK, jaws are going to drop when a grey-haired, little (5'2", 105 lb.) old (70) lady steps out. But I've ridden dragons ....
...eloquently put...?
Sponsored