Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Awesome.... Normally when I order a vehicle from any dealership, I follow them from the time of ordering to manufacturing (if available), then tracking shipment, and then delivery.
I can say with confidence that this is the only vehicle that I'd be buying, which I had followed from conception, unveiling, selection of factory site, factory construction, production of vehicle, and delivery. :D
I hadn't thought about that but, yeah. Also, for me this will be my first purchase of a vehicle sight unseen.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I predicted a Cybertruck would not start rolling off the line until September 2023 for a number of reasons: pandemic, site selection, permits, designing the plant and changes, government bureaucracies, etc.

Seeing construction start the day after the purchase and the balls-to-the-wall speed at which they are moving has made me nervous about that prediction. Nervous AND excited.

Tesla Cybertruck VIDEO - Tesla Cybertruck TeraFactory Site Construction Is Well Underway 5864CE06-0A29-4760-A0FE-B46816E531F7

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Uhhhh thats not true at all.. Detroit Hamtramck plant is GM new entirely electric factory.
Porsche built the Zuffenhausen factory solely for Taycan production and ford is currently constructing a entirely new factory for the EV F-150.. the list goes on.

You did however further prove my point :)
All of those factories were next to or on top of existing facilities, though. The F-150 was in production before the new facilities; the Zuffenhausen was made 'for electrics' before the Taycan was a prototype, etc. Saying they're new 'factories' or for a new model is kinda misleading.

And even so, they're still 'hardly' as the vast majority of those companies' models aren't being built with new facilities.

Tho the localizing facilities is pretty common (Tesla in China, BMW and practically everyone in the US, etc.)

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
All of those factories were next to or on top of existing facilities, though. The F-150 was in production before the new facilities; the Zuffenhausen was made 'for electrics' before the Taycan was a prototype, etc. Saying they're new 'factories' or for a new model is kinda misleading.

And even so, they're still 'hardly' as the vast majority of those companies' models aren't being built with new facilities.

Tho the localizing facilities is pretty common (Tesla in China, BMW and practically everyone in the US, etc.)

-Crissa
The EV F-150 building is a completely new ground up building for a new model.. the all electric ford truck, Obviously its gonna share parts with the regular truck.. so they built the new factory next door where they already own land.. smart. The Taycan building... that is also a NEW building for a NEW model. So what if they called it a building "For Electrics" at first? Obviously they arent gonna say "oh this is for the Taycan a model we havent even announced or named yet" and so what if they built it next to another factory? Sure the Hamtramck factory is an existing GM shell.. but If Tesla had starting adding onto Fremont there would be drones every where recording every move.. OH WAIT.. that DOES happen. Also.. these are just companies building new electric vehicle factories for comparison. There are plenty of companies building brand new manufacturing facilities in the US like Volvo off the top of my head and the additional building in Tennessee for the ID4 production.

So.. these are new factories being built by other auto manufacturers that dont get even close to the same amount of publicity. Its even difficult to find information, photos or articles written about them. Yet the Texas Tesla factory has been covered by many different news outlets.. including my local news TV stations and Tesla owners are meeting up just to see a flat piece of dirt get even more flat. I dont see any f-150 guys lining up with there trucks to see the new factory get built? or drone footage? In fact they are probably planning to boycott the Electric version of the truck haha.

So yeah.. my point was.. Tesla gets way more attention and they have an extremely enthusiastic group of followers.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I have not seen this much support from owners for an auto manufacturer in my lifetime. No one is meeting up just to watch the new (_Insert any other auto maker here_) factory get built. I dont even own a Tesla yet and i am obsessed with the company.
Absolutely, Many of us here do not even own a tesla (like me), but are die hard followers. (Fanbois in automotive lingo) :D.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I Google “Tesla news” at least once a day. Rarely does a day go by without Tesla updates. Electrek is also a great source to help stay up to date with the company and its products.

https://electrek.co/guides/tesla/

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche (current) , Cybertruck x 2 (preordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
New video from today is up! It was a pretty short flight due to the rain but the site was mostly clear and we could see much of the shape of the factory footprint very clearly.

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
GDay, Thanks for putting in so much effort...good job. It is great to be able to see that progress is being made on actually where MY CYBERTRUCK is going to be made.
Keep up the good work.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
See this thread for more information on the construction schedule.

A schedule building completion date is revealed.

Factory Build Info

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche (current) , Cybertruck x 2 (preordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Video from Thursday afternoon of site progress is now up!

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla’s Giga Berlin electric vehicle factory plans are massive

Tesla’s fourth electric car factory under construction near Berlin, Germany, could end up hiring four times the staff currently employed at Fremont in the US, with eight Giga Presses stamping out parts for the Model Y.

The Californian EV maker has plans to produce 500,000 electric vehicles at the GrĂĽnheide site starting from the European summer of 2021, and Tesla boss Elon Musk has previously stated that the Model Y electric crossover will be a priority at the plant.

Musk said during a visit to Berlin last week that the Tesla Model Y’s “core technology” will be radically redesigned for production at “Giga Berlin” as it is otherwise known.

It is already made at Fremont using a single rear-piece casting made using a Giga Press, which is basically a massive stamping machine that improves efficiency of production, as well as enabling the end product to be lighter and therefore also more energy efficient.

Musk said in August that as many as 70 individual pieces would be replaced by die casting, and as The Driven reported in August, Tesla has already ordered at least two machines.

Now, reports have emerged that there are eight of these die casting machines, called “druckguss-machine” in German, planned for Giga Berlin.

A factory plan shared by German Tesla watcher Tobias Lindh shows footings for eight die cast machines including holding tanks, quenching tanks and melting furnaces, that will be used to make eight Model Y castings at a time.
Tesla Cybertruck VIDEO - Tesla Cybertruck TeraFactory Site Construction Is Well Underway EcKzJqGWAAAHjL2
SOURCE: TOBIAS LINDH/TWITTER

And as many as 40,000 staff could be employed at Giga Berlin over the next ten years, four times that employed currently at Tesla’s Model 3 and Model Y factory in Fremont as stated on the company’s website.

It is so many staff that Brandenburg’s economics minister Jörg Steinbach told German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung that skilled workers may need to be brought in to meet demand for staff at the factory, which he says should be fully approved by mid-December.

“In perspective, the Tesla factory in Grünheide could – depending on the market ramp-up – have up to 40,000 employees,” Steinbach was quoted as saying via the Berliner Morgenpost.
“We will not be able to meet the need for skilled workers from Brandenburg alone.”

“When the approval for the entire project comes, is closely related to the development plan procedure. Both should be signed and sealed in mid-December,” Steinbach was quoted as saying.
Elon Musk tweeted on Friday morning encouraging people to apply for jobs with Tesla in Germany.
“Please work at Tesla Giga Berlin! It will be great fun!!” he said in German.

Initially, Tesla was planning to hire 12,000 staff, although more recent reports state that filings in July indicate 10,500 staff are currently being hired to work three around-the-clock shifts.
Tesla has also launched a 250kW V3 supercharger at a research campus in Berlin on Thursday, Reuters reports, and has plans to introduce more soon to help make the purchasing decision easier for those concerned about access to fast-charging.

The V3 supercharger allows Tesla owners to recharge their electric vehicles at a rate of 120 kilometres a minute, as long as they have the relevant maximum charging rate activated on their vehicles.

Source: The Driven
Sponsored