Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
That image provides lots of food for thought.
1. Looking at Google Earth, Tesla Nevada isn't even half that size and there are no windmills, with only one very small section of roof having Solar Panels.
2. The Austin roofs seem like a perfect location for Solar. If you look on Google Earth, about 6 1/2 miles East of the Tesla property is a massive Solar farm near Webberville. I would think that Tesla could talk with them and get data for what an area with the square footage of their roof could produce in energy in that location.
3. It's odd how little renewable energy Tesla uses at all their factories.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche (current) , Cybertruck x 2 (preordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Tesla Terafactory Austin rendering. This is a pic of Giga Nevada but you can tell by now this is how TTA will look.

hero@2x.jpg

Pic from Tesla.com
Sure looks that way given the current outline of the footprint.

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Friday video footage is up. The first pillars have been raised!

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Looks like a much deserved half-day or day off for most of the crew at the site Saturday:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Looks like a much deserved half-day or day off for most of the crew at the site Saturday:

You show that tiny piece of structure and it seems significant (and we are all super happy to see it and appreciate the videos), but when you compare it to the size of the two buildings it is minuscule. I did a rough count of the number of pad holes they dug on Friday. About 25. Given the space they cover I figure about 2,000 of them would be required for both buildings, and if they worked every day for nearly 3 months they could dig all the holes. It took them 2 days to put up this one structure. For just the nearly 25 holes they have dug and, at that rate, it would take them more than a month to put up frames for just those 25 holes. Multiplying that by almost 90 for just one layer and you begin to see the enormity of framing (7+ years) that many square feet of space. So I do not think Tesla can afford for them to be off for even a single day if they ever want to see a full Giga Austin in place. There are ways to speed up the process. Bring in more cranes and people to rig the structure, work the framing from opposite ends of the building in parallel, etc. We just don’t see that kind of activity right now so it is hard to do more than conjecture how it will all get done.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Given the space they cover I figure about 2,000 of them would be required for both buildings, and if they worked every day for nearly 3 months they could dig all the holes.
I don't think those pads are required for the entire building. They're using a much less square-footage efficient build, and I expect those pads are just for where they plan to install heavy equipment. They only need to put in as much as the equipment they've plotted out for the production line they're building.

Most of the site will be covered with big steel truss roofing, so I expect that'll go up rather quickly once it does. Texas is nice big, flat, and doesn't require the kind of earthquake safety we do here in the west of optimized density like they do in Germany. And they don't have a constrained site and isn't the first, like their Chinese factory.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don't think those pads are required for the entire building. They're using a much less square-footage efficient build, and I expect those pads are just for where they plan to install heavy equipment. They only need to put in as much as the equipment they've plotted out for the production line they're building.

Most of the site will be covered with big steel truss roofing, so I expect that'll go up rather quickly once it does. Texas is nice big, flat, and doesn't require the kind of earthquake safety we do here in the west of optimized density like they do in Germany. And they don't have a constrained site and isn't the first, like their Chinese factory.

-Crissa
If you look at the truss structure at Giga Berlin, which is also flat, they have those mini pads for every vertical post. To cover just this portion of this building they will need another ’row’ (along the north/Southaven’s is) to the east and maybe 2 more rows to the west. Maybe another 20+ pads. That would cover about 100,000 square feet out of 5 million? Anyway, although I wandered into ‘prediction purgatory’ with my comment, what made me comment at all was the ‘well-deserved break’ comment (when the concrete contractors don’t appear to work anywhere near the hours that the earth-moving contractors do) and the zoomed in image of the truss, which made it appear to those that don’t watch every Giga Austin video every day that great progress is happening. In fact, the area that will be covered is so large it is hard to get ones head around how they will achieve it at all, and it is the excellence of the drone footage that even allows the rest of us to comment at all.

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
End of day Monday footage is up and they are attacking the footers on the north end!

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Some pics from Giga Shanghai

Tesla has also released new pictures of the diecast machines being installed for Model Y production:
Tesla Cybertruck VIDEO - Tesla Cybertruck TeraFactory Site Construction Is Well Underway Tesla-Gigafactory-Model-Y-2

Tesla has also already deployed many robots for the body manufacturing of the electric SUV in Shanghai:
Tesla Cybertruck VIDEO - Tesla Cybertruck TeraFactory Site Construction Is Well Underway Tesla-Gigafactory-Model-Y-3

Finally, the automaker has also the first pictures of the Model Y paint shop in the new factory:
Tesla Cybertruck VIDEO - Tesla Cybertruck TeraFactory Site Construction Is Well Underway Tesla-Gigafactory-Model-Y-4-1

SOURCE: ELECTREK

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thursday footage is now available:

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Watching each days drone footage while having a coffee has become my morning routine :)

"I cannot see my CT being made next week!" BUT I cannot go for much of a drive even if I had it. Victoria is locked down, and no other state will let us in!!:(