VIN Assigned Model Y Order. It's not Austin. What do I do?

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
The waiting is the hardest part........
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I bought a model Y 14 months ago, currently for sale, for which it would have made no sense to buy FSD, which is not even in full operation, but stays with the vehicle and adds zero value at this point.
I totally agree with that. I am not buying for the short term. The Model Y has to match my wife's Model 3 which has FSD because she will get the Model Y when I get the Cybertruck (also FSD), both of which we expect to keep for many years when FSD is actually functional and very worthwhile at the pricepoint paid (imho).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have seen videos of Austin cars on car haulers about 3 weeks ago.
Those haulers may have been taking cars for testing.

So far it seems that they are only making LR Blue and Black Model Ys at Austin, but no one knows if or even when any of those vehicles will go to anyone. Tesla simply hasn't said anything about it. I keep telling my SAs that I will take a Fremont Model Y but that my preference is an Austin Model Y, and since my order is for a Blue LR there is at least a tiny chance that they will source orders in that timeframe, for that trim, from Austin, perhaps if the order recipient makes enough noise. The SAs tell me that they have no link with the fullfillment folks, which seems very odd to me. That suggests that the fullfillment folks will simply look at a database of what vehicle trims were ordered and fill them as the cars become available for those trims, regardless of where they are made. It is frustrating and annoying but the SAs tell me that it is just as bad for them since they are in the middle. That doesn't make their comments valid; they may just be trying to shut me up (and to some extent it has worked), but it also may be true, or at least partly true (like everything with Tesla).

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Tesla text me asking me to confirm Model Y delivery appointment. The text claims if I don't setup the appointment I simply lose the VIN. Seems easy enough.

Tesla Cybertruck VIN Assigned Model Y Order. It's not Austin. What do I do? 1646778862160

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla text me asking me to confirm Model Y delivery appointment. The text claims if I don't setup the appointment I simply lose the VIN. Seems easy enough.

1646778862160.png
The contract you agreed to when you ordered the vehicle says that if they offer you a vehicle (VIN), then you have, I believe, 30 days to accept. You should go read that contract. My SA sent me a copy when I said what you are saying. They can put a hold on the order but I believe they will only do it once, and they will likely send you a mail in the next 30 days saying that you have to release the hold or they will cancel the order. I did and got one. You should at least be informed as to what your options are instead of going into it 'blindly' (not saying that you are).

Btw, they recently gave me an expected delivery date (no VIN) and they have been steadily revising it. I really have no idea when I will get a VIN.

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
I got assigned a VIN today from Freemont on a performance Y. Taking delivery, even though I'm in Texas, and it's not from Austin. It's already worth $3k more than paid, and will be ordering again by year end to do it again.

Should order again the day after taking delivery. Can't see a downside to doing so for now.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The contract you agreed to when you ordered the vehicle says that if they offer you a vehicle (VIN), then you have, I believe, 30 days to accept. You should go read that contract. My SA sent me a copy when I said what you are saying. They can put a hold on the order but I believe they will only do it once, and they will likely send you a mail in the next 30 days saying that you have to release the hold or they will cancel the order. I did and got one. You should at least be informed as to what your options are instead of going into it 'blindly' (not saying that you are).

Btw, they recently gave me an expected delivery date (no VIN) and they have been steadily revising it. I really have no idea when I will get a VIN.
Had a feeling someone would point out that I should read the fine print. LOL

I'm in a new job, so my attention is focused elsewhere. I do have the intention of calling them to discuss, but letting it slide for now.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag

Indeed, my order is now on hold. I will leave it a while and see what information comes to light on the Austin deliveries.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I got my Model Y VIN today, a Fremont build. Oh well. With another price increase of $1,000 I just don't care enough to forego this vehicle. Good luck with your hold.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I got my Model Y VIN today, a Fremont build. Oh well. With another price increase of $1,000 I just don't care enough to forego this vehicle. Good luck with your hold.
Congrats! You get to escape $5 gasoline.. The money in my wallet is free falling.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Indeed, my order is now on hold. I will leave it a while and see what information comes to light on the Austin deliveries.
I got my Model Y today. Its great. No dual pane windows in the back and no matrix lights but a very nice car. They told me that they have no idea when Austin vehicles will become available. Good luck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I got my Model Y today. Its great. No dual pane windows in the back and no matrix lights but a very nice car. They told me that they have no idea when Austin vehicles will become available. Good luck.
Troy Teslike suggested West Coast buyers won’t get any from Austin this year. If true, that harpoons my chances of getting one and the possibility of selling mine to upgrade.

I hadn’t realized buying my Model Y a year ago was an inflation hedge. When the Cybertruck goes on sale, I might just end up selling the Y to buy whatever comes on sale first. Never in my life did I expect to be able to buy a car new, use it for 2 years, and sell it for more than I bought it, but it sure seems like that is possible.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I spoke to Tesla today, they called me about a trade. They told me deferring is not a problem, my local Tesla people will call me shortly to discuss and they can release my current assigned VIN back into the pool and I will go back on the list, although not to the end, I will still be prioritized and I don't lose the $250 order fee.

Nice if it's true, but I'm not convinced. This was the "trade in" guy possibly telling me what I wanted to hear.

Also, I don't mind going to the end of the list, the current delivery date on a Model Y Performance is April...
my brother -n law has a lease that was extended until mid to end of June....He said the sales person has told him that they would structure his lease so that he new car (MY) comes from Texas....we'll see how that one works
Sponsored