VIN Assigned Model Y Order. It's not Austin. What do I do?

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The reason I am asking is certain states are more likely to be Freemont made, and I am scheduled for delivery too this month. No VIN assigned yet.
I am in GA and my delivery is estimated March 13-31, but no VIN . I would expect under optimal conditions my Y should come from Austin given the whole east coast thing, but no one knows! Is Austin actually making production cars for customers yet?
Sponsored

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
I am in GA and my delivery is estimated March 13-31, but no VIN . I would expect under optimal conditions my Y should come from Austin given the whole east coast thing, but no one knows! Is Austin actually making production cars for customers yet?
I have seen videos of Austin cars on car haulers about 3 weeks ago.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
My EDD for a blue LR is today through March 10th but no ViN yet. I told them I’d jump through hoops to get an Austin Y but it seems unlikely at this point. If I cancelled I would lose the $250 deposit but worse, the price of the cart has gone up twice since I ordered it andcFSDchad gone up once, so a difference of about $7,500 before. Taxes. I am sure the current Y will be great so apart from ‘wanting’ the Austin Y I am ok.

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Do not get FSD if buying and selling quickly. FSD stays with the car. Tesla can add it without you, so no.

Only if you are going to own it for 10 years or more, should you. I like to move on.

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
To each his/her own. I made my decision about FSD long ago and my reasons are valid. Same for CT.
I bought a model Y 14 months ago, currently for sale, for which it would have made no sense to buy FSD, which is not even in full operation, but stays with the vehicle and adds zero value at this point.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I'm in Florida.

Yeah, I actually ordered before the FSD increase to $12K. I've decided to remove FSD though because I'm going to dump the Y and get the CT after a couple of years (maybe, depending on CT timeline... I'm about 200K in line).

I will subscribe to FSD for now, not purchase.

For me, the only thing I could lose is the $250, it's worth losing it IMO for the chance to get an Austin Y.

I realize I could buy a Y and sell it, but there are logistics, risk in selling it, time taken to manage it all. Not worth it for me.

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
I'm in Florida.

Yeah, I actually ordered before the FSD increase to $12K. I've decided to remove FSD though because I'm going to dump the Y and get the CT after a couple of years (maybe, depending on CT timeline... I'm about 200K in line).

I will subscribe to FSD for now, not purchase.

For me, the only thing I could lose is the $250, it's worth losing it IMO for the chance to get an Austin Y.

I realize I could buy a Y and sell it, but there are logistics, risk in selling it, time taken to manage it all. Not worth it for me.
I understand completely. No upside in dealing with idiots. Very surprised Florida got assigned Fremont, but not in charge, ha.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If I were you, I'd just go ahead and get the Freemont VIN Model Y.

Here's why - I know many are excited about the Austin builds and the 4680, etc. etc., but - in any new build it may be wise to wait and not jump on the first batch. You never know what kinks or refinements they might need to 'shake out' in the manufacturing process. If you wait a year of so, those will be then discovered, known, and likely worked out. One example is the heat pump operation in extreme cold temperatures. Some things might not be totally software correctable - just sayin'.

Buying a current build Model Y in the meantime will give you the option of just selling it if you want to certainly buy one of the newer builds later on. Tesla's hold their value very well much more than ICE, and with the demand for Model Y not going anywhere, you'll be able to 'upgrade' to a newer build any time you feel like it.

Meanwhile, you'll have your vehicle and are also learning a few things about what to look for also. If you can 'wait' for an Austin build, then you really would also be wise to take the current VIN and 'wait' a while longer for the Austin build IMO. Just my two cents.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
If I were you, I'd just go ahead and get the Freemont VIN Model Y.

Here's why - I know many are excited about the Austin builds and the 4680, etc. etc., but - in any new build it may be wise to wait and not jump on the first batch. You never know what kinks or refinements they might need to 'shake out' in the manufacturing process. If you wait a year of so, those will be then discovered, known, and likely worked out. One example is the heat pump operation in extreme cold temperatures. Some things might not be totally software correctable - just sayin'.

Buying a current build Model Y in the meantime will give you the option of just selling it if you want to certainly buy one of the newer builds later on. Tesla's hold their value very well much more than ICE, and with the demand for Model Y not going anywhere, you'll be able to 'upgrade' to a newer build any time you feel like it.

Meanwhile, you'll have your vehicle and are also learning a few things about what to look for also. If you can 'wait' for an Austin build, then you really would also be wise to take the current VIN and 'wait' a while longer for the Austin build IMO. Just my two cents.
Thanks for your perspective. I understand where you are coming from and ultimately I may do that. It has crossed my mind that I'd be getting a version 1, or worse, knowing Tesla, a 0.x. I have to weigh the risk of that against all the cool stuff the Austin Y brings. Knowing myself, I'm unlikely to flip the Y once I have it, especially since I want to flip it for the truck in a couple of years.

I think my strategy is going to be to delay the delivery as long as I can, up to and including giving up one $250 deposit. If a delivery by mid-year is still not an Austin model, despite all my efforts, I'll just take what the Tesla AI overlord deems I am worthy of.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I'm hoping I'm in the sweet spot for ordering the Y: living on the East Coast and my estimated delivery date is December. Enough time to work out initial kinks and still get the Y before the CT comes out (the Y is for my wife, the CT is for me, I'll (probably/most likely/maybe?) sell my beloved S when it comes in).

Ed Harris

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I'm hoping I'm in the sweet spot for ordering the Y: living on the East Coast and my estimated delivery date is December. Enough time to work out initial kinks and still get the Y before the CT comes out (the Y is for my wife, the CT is for me, I'll (probably/most likely/maybe?) sell my beloved S when it comes in).
You called my purchases absolutely perfect. The Y is my wife's and the CT is mine. I will baby my two vehicles until I get both.
How does one guarantee its built-in Austin? She wants to order but I keep telling her to wait until we see deliveries.
We want to drive down to the Austin area from Michigan and continue to our condo in Palm Springs CA. Then leave the minivan in CA to use when we are on vacation vs renting @ $70 a day gets old real fast.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I spoke to Tesla today, they called me about a trade. They told me deferring is not a problem, my local Tesla people will call me shortly to discuss and they can release my current assigned VIN back into the pool and I will go back on the list, although not to the end, I will still be prioritized and I don't lose the $250 order fee.

Nice if it's true, but I'm not convinced. This was the "trade in" guy possibly telling me what I wanted to hear.

Also, I don't mind going to the end of the list, the current delivery date on a Model Y Performance is April...

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
You called my purchases absolutely perfect. The Y is my wife's and the CT is mine. I will baby my two vehicles until I get both.
How does one guarantee its built-in Austin? She wants to order but I keep telling her to wait until we see deliveries.
We want to drive down to the Austin area from Michigan and continue to our condo in Palm Springs CA. Then leave the minivan in CA to use when we are on vacation vs renting @ $70 a day gets old real fast.
Doesn't seem to be a way to guarantee it right now.

I'm waiting for more information on how to increase my chances. Interior and Exterior color being really the only options open to me as I want a Performance model. I'm hoping some reliable source suggests Red Performance models are what is being focused on at Austin or something of that ilk. I don't mind any of the colors, although I do want a white interior ideally.

Trying to wait patiently...