What do you all think of the minimalist approach to the Cybertruck?

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Out lawed in most states is the “Spinner”, colloquially named, attached to rim. It breaks knuckles and wrists easily when steering force snaps backwards into the drivers hands.
Along with the back up crank starter I suppose. But in all seriousness, maybe a indent for your palm that you could spin around on. Obviously it would have to be sleek and not ugly. Honestly I don't know why progressive steering is that difficult. More steering per degree of turn at slower speeds. Maybe a graphical feedback as far a wheel position under 10 MPH?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Out lawed in most states is the “Spinner”, colloquially named, attached to rim. It breaks knuckles and wrists easily when steering force snaps backwards into the drivers hands.
It also straight up murders drivers in frontal impacts.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Along with the back up crank starter I suppose. But in all seriousness, maybe a indent for your palm that you could spin around on. Obviously it would have to be sleek and not ugly. Honestly I don't know why progressive steering is that difficult. More steering per degree of turn at slower speeds. Maybe a graphical feedback as far a wheel position under 10 MPH?
People are trying an awful lot to solve a problem they haven’t even encountered.

Get the truck… it might not even have a yoke. If it does have a yoke, drive it. Then and only then will you be in a position to come up with a good “solution” to this possible problem.

This is a problem many software developers have. They see another industry and think they can cook up a better way to solve a problem they think other people have. They spend hours building a solution to this perceived problem and end up with a product nobody wants because it doesn’t solve any actual real world problem. Nothing substitutes for hands on experience.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is a problem many software developers have. They see another industry and think they can cook up a better way to solve a problem they think other people have. They spend hours building a solution to this perceived problem and end up with a product nobody wants because it doesn’t solve any actual real world problem. Nothing substitutes for hands on experience.
It's always been my experience that once the marketing/legal guys interfere, and they say that of course it can't be made (the way that solves the problem) or the customer says 'but it's never been done that way!' and you end up with mushy unfinished cake.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's always been my experience that once the marketing/legal guys interfere, and they say that of course it can't be made (the way that solves the problem) or the customer says 'but it's never been done that way!' and you end up with mushy unfinished cake.

-Crissa
Lots of hands in the cake to screw it up. Sometimes it is indeed the customer who gives you crazy specs which result in a product which nobody wants. I’ve seen plenty of developers screw things up all on their own though.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla stock really improved in the last week. My Tesla stock purchase in 2018 at $165 per share is looking better and better?

Elon revealed that Tesla was only a month away from declaring bankruptcy in 2018. Revenue from the Model 3 literally saved the company.
It is all changing for the better. I do not think it is going back down ever to that level. Look at this today after the third quarter earnings. Q3 2021 Tesla Earnings Call | In Depth - YouTube

Tesla Cybertruck What do you all think of the minimalist approach to the Cybertruck? Tesla 9-44 am 22 Oct 2021

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
People are trying an awful lot to solve a problem they haven’t even encountered.

Get the truck… it might not even have a yoke. If it does have a yoke, drive it. Then and only then will you be in a position to come up with a good “solution” to this possible problem.

I did ride in a Plaid and it looked unwieldy at low speeds, but you are right I haven't experienced it yet. I believe Elon himself said they would probably work on progressive steering but it is more complicated than people think. Maybe it is the no drive by wire rules??? Maybe he figures this will mostly solve itself with FSD?

Per the media some people don't like it. A recessed, fulling integrated spinning cup that you palm when you turn could work. I can visualise it anyway.

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
I have been meaning to respond to a yoke thread, but couldn't they make spinning knob for maneuvering in parking lots etc. I would think that is the only time the yoke would be a problem. Our 1932 Model A has one. Tesla could one up the model A by having the knob pop up and down like the cell phone holders.
Ok, if you are going to throw age into this, I’m 70 and still liked the yoke steering.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
This struck me as humorous. Probably because I drive older... nope! OLD rigs. I had to add in stereos and blue tooth devices to bring my trucks to hands free and cup holders. The M3 we drive has everything at my finger tips at my whim. So I expect the CT will be just like every car I have every driven. A brief "where's that" learning curve and acclimation to brake and accelerator sensitivity.

AZCYBER

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model S
Occupation
retired
Country flag
People are alwais missing something from the past.
Some are missing the roaring sound from the sixpack of cylinders, some are missing the dials. The most sensitive are missing a sound from the vintage style klaxons.
But the CT will be moving anyway.
I miss the horse farting and dodging the horse apples.
Sponsored