What do you all think of the minimalist approach to the Cybertruck?

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am not sure I like this approach. I'm an Electrical Engineer and like the different readouts that my Chevrolet Volt has. I am pretty sure I will miss this functionality in the CT. It's true the display will have lots of info on it but there is something to be said for separate dedicated readouts.
Dashboards are for assembling sandwiches not dials and information.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Please cancel your reservation and buy a truck with lots of dials if that is what floats your boat - and I’ll get my truck that much sooner. Function over form. It is the way with Tesla. If you don’t like it no one is forcing you to buy one. There is another factor that people continue to ignore and that is that Tesla’s ambition is for the car to be the driver; they will eliminate driver features as soon as they possibly can. That is why they don’t put in rear view mirror blind spot detectors, HUDs, etc. Again, Tesla is not like the companies you are comfortable with, so it is your choice entirely. I seriously doubt you can sway them on this at all, and I would prefer that they don’t. I was and am in favor of the truck they unveiled in 2019.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Even the speedometer.. who really uses that much anymore??? In my neck of the woods there is one speed. Go with the flow of traffic unless you don't want to.
Example:
Thus past Saturday on I5, going with the flow of traffic in the slow lane, my car was kinda shaking. Look at my speed, I was going 97 and everyone still passing me up, couldn't go too much slower otherwise I am the unsafe one not going with the flow of traffic.
Kept telling myself, "got to keep working these extra side jobs to get closer to that CT and no more shaking car.."
I agree, I'm down to what Tesla offers stock. And rest will be taken care of through OBD or straight CAN.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I agree, I'm down to what Tesla offers stock. And rest will be taken care of through OBD or straight CAN.
Good point.

Has anyone "hacked" a Tesla, meaning, has anyone been able to change features or create them?

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Good point.

Has anyone "hacked" a Tesla, meaning, has anyone been able to change features or create them?
Like with everything out there. I do not advise attempting to change any "features" on your production car. (The one linked to you) As Tesla knows all changes but currently is deciding to not due too much about it (Mr. Green..). One day this may change as any changes to stock is illegal and I'm sure in there EULA.
For any "Play" car or devices I get from auction, cl, or FB. Just like the other "toys" I have and "tinker" with. Phones, tablets, computers, consoles, and "other electronical devices"...

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yes absolutely. People have lifted them, turned them into off road machines, added gauges, added a swivel mount to the console, pretty much any mod you can think of. Someone turned a Model 3 into a truck. Tesla has a third party API for their data and a USB port for 3rd party devices for electronic stuff.

Like with everything out there. I do not advise attempting to change any "features" on your production car. (The one linked to you)
While it’s more affordable to hack other people’s cars… that can get you put in jail.

;)

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Agreed. And all people have different interpretation of "hacking" or "mods". I still do hardware mods but do more software and firmware "mods".

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
With the enormous amount of dash space they have one would hope, but I wouldn't bet a cent on it. Other than that I love the interior design on the CT.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am not sure I like this approach. I'm an Electrical Engineer and like the different readouts that my Chevrolet Volt has. I am pretty sure I will miss this functionality in the CT. It's true the display will have lots of info on it but there is something to be said for separate dedicated readouts.
I agree, I think it will require to get adapted to the new layout, but I will not miss the extra costs.

Tesla Cybertruck What do you all think of the minimalist approach to the Cybertruck? GigaTexas on Volt final

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
With the enormous amount of dash space they have one would hope, but I wouldn't bet a cent on it. Other than that I love the interior design on the CT.
Looks like we have a market (at least of two) for a OBD HUD accessory for Teslas. Wouldn't be hard to do. The trick will be to do some nice data integrations. What would you want to see on there except speed and navigation directions?qq

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Neat, I've never seen a Wolt before. ^-^

-Crissa
Hi Crissa, I created this image for making my own T-Shits and stickers - This is now on my Volt and I am waiting impatiently for my Cybertruck. :) I did reserve the first day in Nov 2019.

Tesla Cybertruck What do you all think of the minimalist approach to the Cybertruck? cybertruck GIGA TEXAS final 4680

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Tesla puts a good deal of reporting into the software - more than my 10yo Tacoma, that has virtually no user-interfacing software, and more than my wife's Highlander where I have little trust in what it does report.

I could see off-roading situations where you would want an altimeter, for example, but those are add-ons to most vehicles off the line.

I can't think of a single dial in my pickup today that I would miss in the CT. Either because the display already has it (and a test-drive in a MY helped me see that it's reasonably located/sized) or because the dials seem unnecessary in an EV (hello, RPMs & engine temp).
Sponsored