What is your biggest Cybertruck question you'd like answered by Tesla before committing to purchase?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Wait, other than reading the owners manual and putting the registration and insurance cards in there, why would anyone need to open the glove box? That's a rhetorical question. I don't store crap in the glove box in my cars but some people have a need to cram stuff in there. There are better places to put things that you need access to while driving so I don't put things in there as I have to lean way over to get to them. Well, in my truck, it was quite a lean. In the Prius, not so much.:)
Sponsored

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
During the Semi reveal Elon said “Jackknifing is impossible.“

Will the magic that makes that possible on the Semi make it’s way to the Cybertruck?

Last edited:

Irv

First Name
Irv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13, 15, 17 Volt; 05 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax Diesel ; 63, 69 Corvette; 65 427 Ace Shelby Cobra Replica
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
During the Semi reveal Elon said “Jackknifing is impossible.“

Will the magic that makes that possible on the Semi make it’s way to the Cybertruck?
On the tri-motor possibly... It requires independently vectoring the wheels. The tri-motor will be able to do this in the rear...

Kami

First Name
Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Small business owner
Country flag
What is the number one question you have about Cybertruck that could influence your purchase decision depending on the answer you get from Tesla (or Musk)?
Is it possible to put a camper on the back of the cybertruck like the Host Mammoth 11.6? Or no because it doesn't have a straight truckbed like traditional trucks?

Turtle

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have preordered the tri motor CT because of the range mostly. However, I would hope by order time there might be chance to upgrade the 500 plus range to maybe 700 or800 miles of range. I figure that may be necessary for towing. With the new battery technology batteries could be lighter thus allowing space for more batteries. Hopefully this would work for all three CT’s. I feel that range is important as others have mentioned before me. After all, towing can reduce range significantly!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Cybertruck, 2013 P85 S
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Yes he has and so has Straubel. What they both said was that Tesla would not be doing V2G in the foreseeable future. And that makes sense. It would compete with another product they sell and would degrade the battery in the car. Now that was a year or so ago. With the million mile battery the degradation issue goes away. In the future? Maybe.

In the first place that is V2H. The question here concerns V2G.

In the second place I can already do that and go for 10 days to two weeks without having to give up any of the range in my car that I might need to escape the kind of bad situation that loss of grid implies.

No. Couldn't do that either. My utility sells power at 12 cents and buys it back (to the extent they are forced to by state law) for 12 cents.

Are you able to to that? Where are these people that do that? Or really, more to the point, where are the utilities than have the infrastructure to support V2G?

My utility has storage to draw from at times of peak demand. Perhaps that's why they have no interest in doing what you are suggesting.

So I keep asking the question and get noise back but no answer. So I'll ask again, what benefit accrues to you if you have V2G? The Leaf has the capability to do VTG or at least some have been modified to be capable. If you had one of those in your garage would you be able to do any of those things you mention?
Right now my meter is spinning backwards, selling solar to grid, but when dark, and needed by grid, could possibly sell some of my excess power wall or Tesla battery for that same or better price. If thousands of us are doing this very small amount, maybe no peaker plants are needed, and I make a little for wear and tear.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Cybertruck, 2013 P85 S
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I would actually prefer a mid-sized Cybertruck and if it is a possibility, would it not come until after the single motor version? 2, 3, 4 years out?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I would actually prefer a mid-sized Cybertruck and if it is a possibility, would it not come until after the single motor version? 2, 3, 4 years out?
Tesla has a history of introducing the more expensive models first to the point of making it tricky at times to find the lesser priced options. I would suspect they'll do the same with the Cybertruck. So, yeah, if they make a cheaper version, it'll be AFTER the more expensive variants come out.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TriMotor CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired Merchant Marine
Country flag
Will the CyberTruck come with a stock/OE trailer hitch tube and standard tail light hookup off of her stern?

Kami

First Name
Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Small business owner
Country flag
Lots of very helpful and valid points. Lots which I had not thought of our through. Thank you.

The only thing that would stop me from purchasing the CT, is it doesn't fit in my garage.
I have a small business that I run out of my garage. I don't have an option to park my model 3 in the garage so I have this setup with charger hanging outside...

Tesla Cybertruck What is your biggest Cybertruck question you'd like answered by Tesla before committing to purchase? 20200626_161433[1]

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
With the release of Apple's U1 chip for Car Keys, will Tesla support this for more integrations with iPhone / AppleWatch?

Not only do I want my iPhone to act as the CT key, I want my AppleWatch to do the same.
I can see a bunch of problems with having too many devices simultaneously trying to communicate and then freezing up as it can't figure out which device is in command.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Wait, other than reading the owners manual and putting the registration and insurance cards in there, why would anyone need to open the glove box? <snip>
Gloves?

IF Cybertruck is crypto-based, the security scheme uses a first order defense as its absolute strongest. That means doors are the hardest impenetrable attack surface (i.e. electronic crypto-locks, ArmorGlass, etc...). You wouldn't lock your doors then put locks on all your cupboards in your home. Don't do it with your vehicle then.

SO... it's not about glove box security. That's already handled at doors to keep unwanted out. Give the glovebox a mechanical lever. Make it a software preference - user selectable to lock or never on the setup screen.

It's simple access! Tesla geeks know how to innovate handle access with security if they want to integrate some " Wow".

roncruiser

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1994 80 Series Land Cruiser, 2002 100 Series Lexus LX450, 2005 Lexus IS300
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a small business that I run out of my garage. I don't have an option to park my model 3 in the garage so I have this setup with charger hanging outside...

20200626_161433[1].jpg
I do not have the option to run power to a Cyber Truck parked in a driveway as I don't have a driveway. It's either park in the garage or no CT.

LoreZyra

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
RichieBartlett.com
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri-motor
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
I can see a bunch of problems with having too many devices simultaneously trying to communicate and then freezing up as it can't figure out which device is in command.
Tesla nor Apple employs stupid programmers. Maybe stupid product managers, not stupid programmers. Having multiple devices with the "keys" is an old problem that was solved last century. I'm thinking Linux. You can always give priority to the first registered device. An "admin" (or root user) of sorts. The other "keys" would be simple "users."

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I am wondering if there will be some sort of monthly subscription price to use certain applications on the CT. I know that Lexus Enform subscription ($80/yr) is required to use remote start capabilities. BMW requires a subscription fee for Apple CarPlay. It looks like Tesla offers something called Premium Connectivity for $10/month. Some of it seems useful (Live Traffic, satellite view), some of it seems frivolous (caraoke?).

Is remote start on Tesla cars available without subscription? Any current Tesla drivers have Premium Connectivity and care to comment if the service is worth $10/month for the offering?

Subscriptions add real cost of ownership to vehicles and should be budgeted for upfront. Just want to know the "real" cost of driving a CT and being able to use the max accessories offered.
Sponsored