What steering wheel would you like to see?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Well, the kind of steering wheel I'd like to see is THE KIND THAT'S BETWEEN MY FINGERS RIGHT NOW! ARRRRRRRRGH! I can't take it no more! Gimme my Cybertruck already! Before I blow a 50 amp fuse!!! ?
(Blows a 50 amp fuse)
Woops… May need to upgrade the system for 100 amps. The system wasn’t built for this level of stress. The way things are going we might want to upgrade even further.

Just imagine what all those on the Roadster Owners Club must be going through. They are literally being promised a flying car. From what I’ve seen though they get even less commentary from Elon and will have to wait till after our beloved CTs are flowing.
Sponsored

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I was thinking of the proportional steering being speed-dependent. As stated above, if you are going at highway speed, you don’t want to suddenly make a sharp right turn. If you are making a U-turn, you are likely going 20mph or less, depending on how much space you have.
I like the idea of a joystick, I always seem to picture something like the viper control stick from the old “Battlestar: Galactica”, lol!
My point is steer-by-wire can be so much more than just a proportional steering angle based on speed. Think about the task at hand. If you are on a straight road at highway speeds you are commanding the smallest heading changes to either smoothly track the lane or pass somebody. If you are on a winding road near or above the speed limit you are likely really wanting a lateral G that is [hopefully] less than the tire cornering capability for the conditions at hand. With true digital computers and closed-loop feedback all of that is possible. As well as cautions that you are approaching the limit of capability and warnings that you’d better do something (like slow down) if you want to stay on the road.

Stinkd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius V5, 1948 Bus, Mercedes SL500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
65B6A655-CCD5-4FFE-A69D-A4BC18685957.jpeg

Well, seems we can go back to what was on the prototype! Apparently they have worked out some kind of proportional setup which makes this practical.
I like this style because it looks like there will be enough space on it to hold the bottom of the yoke with a full grip, allowing comfortable one handed driving.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
A right handed joystick with a left handed throttle, a la BD5 aircraft. It put the "joy" in joystick.

OP
OP
Gvardaman

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Also, how interchangeable are the steering wheels/yokes?
I haven’t pulled a steering wheel off a car in many years and besides the airbags, there is also the other connections to be considered for compatibility.
if they are compatible, maybe it would be fairly trivial to swap them out, so people can have whatever they want.
With removal of the stalks, this becomes more difficult, of course. Early on, it would seem the only options might be Tesla offerings in different countries or select few other models’ offerings.
I expect the aftermarket to fill the void and offer adapters and such, eventually.
I wouldn’t mind having two version that could be swapped, if there is a big difference in feel or performance, but don’t relish the idea of having the stored wheel sitting with a “live” airbag in it.

I also agree that drive-by-wire opens up so many possibilities! The driving could be shared by sliding a binnacle with the functions over to the passenger or even being a remote that device that could be controlled from any seat. Or even someone not in the car!
or totally customized to the user - you want it to be like the Galileo 7? No problem! A fighter jet? Done!
Unfortunately, NHTSA or DoT of whoever would have to regulate this will certainly need (not need, but take) decades to figure out how to even frame rules for it.
Fun to imagine, for sur. I just want to get started driving, using and playing with this truck!

JudgeMetal

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Personally, I'm not much of a yoke steering aficionado. They seem to work well for airplanes but in an auto when I have to turn the wheel 1.5 to 2.5 full rotations for a tight corner, the yoke setup doesn't seem practical. Perhaps if there was a suicide knob or something.

Now as for looks, sure the yoke setup has some nice looks. No argument from me on that point. The regular steering wheel is pretty boring. But when I am driving, the boring wheel is just exactly what I want. I'm not going to be watching or looking at the wheel. I don't want to have to look down to see where to put my hands. I want the steering to be so ingrained and automatic that there is absolutely no conscious thought involved. For day to day driving, this is just a convenience thing. But the real reason for the subconscious ingrain is so that in an emergency or accident scenario my body will react much faster if I don't have to be consciously looking for a grip point while also trying to figure out the best move.

Basically, I will always trade out sexy for safety. But in time with FSD, I hope to hire out the safety to FSD and then be able to add back in the sexy. When that happens though sexy will be something without a steering wheel at all. So the yoke still won't be part of the picture. But that is just me.
I thino Elon has forgotten that air

JudgeMetal

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just dont think it makes sense. If you’re on the ground in a plane you steer with the rudder anyway.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I just dont think it makes sense. If you’re on the ground in a plane you steer with the rudder anyway.
CT won't have rudders, and it may float, but it won't fly. You never used a side-stick I can see. Have you maneuvered a zero-turn radius mower? Compare to the old steering wheel types and you will begin to understand. But this isn't everybody's dream, just mine because I have used one before.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
VOC

Don’t do anything with the steering wheel that delays production.

OP
OP
Gvardaman

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Finally there are now Model S plaids driving, out in the wild, with a steering yoke. it seems that people are getting used to them fairly quickly and NHTSA did not block them from release.

Zenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Seems like it could also be designed for users to manually add/remove a top portion of the wheel by preference. Remove as controls improve, FSD, mimic Centauri’s star car. Add for track, long trips, others who are unfamiliar & drive your vehicle…
Guess we’ll see what feedback we get from plaids. As long as taking a long trip isn’t like playing ‘Domination’, holding the wheel at 9 & 3 constantly. No top & no inverted V to rest your hand in the middle of the base either…

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I've seen some examples from plaid customers who show comfortable 1 handed driving positions.

I like the design of the yoke steering weel in the plaid and I hope we get one just like that one, the steering wheel in the Cybertruck prototype was very similar but not quite perfect.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
All reversing done that way for me. (Assume many others too) I am betting it will not be a yoke. If I am wrong I will let your reservation line placement be after mine.
Sponsored