Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
With the current lack of any official specs on the production CT, I think it is impossible to say if I will finalize an order or cancel my reservation. At this time there is far too much we do not know about the production CT's specs or possible options.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I previously said that basically nothing will stop me from getting the Cybertruck but there is actually one thing that would at least postpone my purchase.

If in the next couple years, Tesla announces anything towards a reasonable timeline for solid state batteries, I would probably postpone.

It would depend on a few factors like how long i would have to wait. I wouldn't mind waiting a few years for solid state but I doubt it'll come that fast. Also it would depend if you could just replace the battery modules with solid state battery modules. I would love it if in the next 10 years when the technology might actually be here that it would be as simple as swapping out the battery modules we have with solid state modules. If that isn't possible, that would probably prompt me to get a second Cybertruck depending how big of an improvement it is for range and charging times.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
If the range for CT3 is lower than the 500+ that was promised at reveal, then I would consider cancelling my order. If I wanted a 300+ mile truck, I can just go get the F150 lightning or the GMC SilvErado when it comes out.

The other things I highly value from the CT that would get me thinking about my order:
If the variable suspension were switched to a static height suspension like what is on the F150 L.
If reports on early production models show a ton of "bugs". Basically if the build quality and dependability show flaws that mean the truck won't be as robust as expected, that would cause me concern.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I am concerned about the insurance cost. I live in California so I can get insurance from Tesla directly and I am guessing that they will beat their competitors pricing, but if insurance on a $25k car here is about $150/mo. I am fairly certain that insurance on this $70k +/- beast is going to be $350+/mo., which is not great, plus I am sure annual registration will be upwards of $600+. I guess we will have to wait and see. This will be my first vehicle purchase >$30k so I suppose that I have had it easy, but all these added monthly and annual cost add up. I am aiming to buy it outright so at lease the interest will be low.

Also, if it doesn't come with a spare tire and means to change the spare that would be rough in my opinion. This is a truck. That's great that a lot of city folk (including myself) will be using this truck with lots of resources around and Telsa's roadside assistance, but I would specifically be planning to take this truck with a camper on longer trips and I don't want to be moving a spare around my garage and storing it in the bed. I have three younger kids and sitting on the side of the road somewhere between California and Colorado waiting hours for roadside service is not ideal. I suppose it won't fully be a deal breaker, but what other truck on the market would come without a spare? None. Granted I have probably used my trucks spare tire 1 time in 8 years.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
No ability to attach racks which will safely carry a 40 foot ladder.
That's the only no-go I have.

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
If the price changes by more than upcoming Fed Credit, I would suspect this would be for NEW reservations. For current reservations, if TESLA changes our reserved prices, that may piss me off enough to drop it.

I don't 'NEED' to get a TESLA truck, it would just be a toy to flex and go glamping with.

I also agree that this truck should have a winch connection option. It's not a deal-breaker, but if it requires welding to the frame to make this work, this will be a problem. If you go out into the boonies, you WANT a winch.

A spare tire would be nice, but you can already get a truck wheel/tire for DIRT CHEAP at any wally-world, as the USA sells 10x more truck tires than cars/SUVs.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If the price changes by more than upcoming Fed Credit, I would suspect this would be for NEW reservations. For current reservations, if TESLA changes our reserved prices, that may piss me off enough to drop it.
It would be very unfortunate if the prices changed for the Cybertruck and I'm sure that it would probably prompt a significant amount of cancelations. I'm sure they will do whatever they can do to keep the prices as they are but there is a real possibility with how prices have increased for supplies, they might have to increase the price on the Cybertruck.

Part of the the reason I think this is because of just how many Cybertruck preorders there are. If Tesla knows that they need to increase the price by even $1000 due to increased costs of supplies, that's over a billion dollars in revenue lost from just preorders if they don't increase it by that $1000. If it was like 50,000 preorders, that would be easier to overlook.

I'm pretty sure the only price we completely locked in was for FSD

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Really nothing would stop me from buying unless I buy something else first. I'll be bummed if the Tri-Motor has less than 500 miles of range, but I highly doubt it at this point. Anything Lucid can do, Elon can do better. Price is a non-factor for me, as all Cybertruck ICE alternatives (my list includes F250 tremor 7.3 for example) would cost me $300-$500 more per month to run in fuel costs alone with the amount of business miles I put on my vehicles. Other things I hope for but aren't deal breakers: Wheel and tire options, a center console option, solar tonneau, matte black option etc. However if the only option is exactly like the prototype, I'm still buying.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Bollinger increases range to 500mi and lowers price to $40,000 while keeping the current design...
A guy can dream, although they are way smaller than the look on youtube. Check out the B2, 207" long, thats shorter than a Ford Ranger Supercrew with a 5 ft bed. Still though, I love the brutal Defender aesthetic. https://bollingermotors.com/bollinger-b2/

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
A guy can dream, although they are way smaller than the look on youtube. Check out the B2, 207" long, thats shorter than a Ford Ranger Supercrew with a 5 ft bed.
It has a 6ft bed that's expandable to 8ft.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think the Bollinger B2 looks cool but that's the best thing I can really say about it. If that truck was like 80 years old it would be an awesome vintage truck. I'm sure it'll make some people happy when it's released but an EV truck with analog controls and less actual technology other than the battery than most ICE trucks. I would agree that it wouldn't be bad with a $40,000 price tag on it, but an estimated $125,000 is a steep price.
Also the full pass thru is great if you really need to carry something as long as the actual truck but that pass through is so wide that it looks like it'll be uncomfortable for anyone that likes to spread their legs a bit while they drive or sit as a passenger.

They are going really old school with crank windows, I wonder if they'll add a crank in the charging slot instead of letting you go to a charging stations. I hope they at least put in phone chargers.
Sponsored