SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
(Edited over the years as Qs get answered. All edits in blue)
Short version:
If you intend on purchasing today, and knowing what we know today and what we don't know yet; when the final product and pricing is revealed, what would prevent you from making the purchase?

Extended read:
I reserved a CT3 w/FSD.
I have a list of questions I'm curious about, (but don't really care all that much about), a list I care about that will make me more or less inclined to purchase, and a shortlist of concerns that would prevent me from making the purchase.

I'm curious about...
-What is the battery size?
-Will it have side-view mirrors? Yes, but easily removable per EM
-Is the tailgate ramp standard or optional? Price if optional?
-V2H or V2G or V2V options?
-Will it have a mid-gate? Standard or optional? Price if optional?
-Is that full glass roof standard or optional? Price if optional?
-How much is that camping package option they show and can I still use the bed for doing truck things with that package onboard?
-Can the purchase be delayed? If my number come up, and I don't want to make the purchase, can I delay it by 6 months or a year? Really only curious about this because I'm about 90k inline for the truck...whatever that means. I'm personally not expecting delivery until late next year...mean next, next year LOL. Maybe it will be summertime or even spring...I don't know. I'm retiring from active duty in Oct next year. (Opted into the US Space Force and won't retire until Oct 2022) It would be good to know I secured a follow-on job prior to spending my savings on this truck. Ideally, I retire, I get a job, and then I receive the notification to finalize my CT order.

I care about...
-What is its actual wheel travel? I know we saw 20" recently posted, but that is so far beyond even a Raptor's spec travel, that I don't believe it until I see it in the actual CT specs.
-What is its RTI? This is not usually a spec that gets released by the manufacturer. We probably won't know this until a youtuber posts his/her review.
-What is its turning radius? This should be a Tesla released spec. Some of the videos we've seen make it look like absolute trash. It has to be in line with the Raptor or better. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty terrible (With the 4 wheel steering announcement I'm no longer concerned about the turning radius, but I'm still interested in what it is.) because I think it has a longer wheelbase while being the same length of an F150 (which helps it for the approach and depart angles but hurts it for turning radius and breakover angle...which the CT compensates for with the massive 16" of clearance. But that clearance does not help with the turning radius. It's going to need a ton of wheel angle range.)
-Is the solar panel cover standard or optional? What's the price if it's an option and how much range does it provide or how much phantom loss does it replenish?
(These next two are danger close to falling onto my next list)
-Are 35's standard or optional and if it's an option, how much will they affect the range...hoping there is an EPA-stated range for them if it's an option. If it is an option I just can't imagine the range is 500+ with them. This means I'd be purchasing the CT3 without 35s which makes me far less excited. The 315/60 R20 wheel set up shown at the Giga Texas Cyber Rodeo are 35s but it's unknown if this is standard or optional.
-Is the interior we've seen the final product? Frankly, I don't like it. It doesn't need to be fancy (ie, Platinum, Laramie, etc...but XLT, Longhorn would be good) What storage is there around the driver and passengers...yes, cupholders and storage matter. Very little interior info. I expect this will be one of the last things we learn about as the CT evolves into its finished product.

But most importantly, I need to know the following or it will prevent my purchase.
-What is its EPA range? 500 is the bare minimum. If it's exactly 500 I have a decision to make. I'm not overly concerned with this one as I think the EPA range will be over 500 miles...but that might be with 32" hwy tires. I need it to have 500 miles with at least 32" AT tires. Again, not too concerned but if it turns out I'll only get 499 with 32" ATs, I'm out.
-How much will the insurance be? If it nullifies my fuel saving or significantly cuts into the money saved from buying fuel vs my current cost to insure my F150 $77/mo), it makes the premium price not yet justifiable (for me). Today, I feel like I need to see the payback for the premium I'm paying in under 15 years. By "premium" I'm talking about what I'd normally be spending on a new to me, 2 year old used truck vs the brand new CT. If I'd normally buy a used truck for say $35k (this would be a new high for me) and I'm spending ~ $76k on this new CT then the premium is $41k. Between fuel-saving and insurance rates, and yes additional maintenance savings because EVs have so fewer moving parts, (but maybe go through tires faster) I need to save $41k over 15 years. This is going to be a wag, but if the wag seems too far off, it will prevent me from making the purchase. The simple math is that I am going to have to save about $225/mo buying this truck vs something else when I only drive about 15k miles a year. My electrical rates are $0.105/kWh and gas is currently about $3.50/gal here. So right now I spend about $368/mo on gas and insurance. I estimate spending about $65/mo in electricity from home with the CT (assuming 100% of my charging is at home). I feel like the insurance is going to be more than $128/mo for this CT. Making the premium payback over 15 years.
-Depending on how that immediate concern gets answered I may need an answer on the tax incentive. Right now, we don't get one. If one is established it could sway the numbers back in favor of the purchase.

So what say you? No tax incentive, no purchase? No midgate, no purchase? No V2?, no purchase? No change to the interior, no purchase? Just curious.
Sponsored

Last edited:

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Only thing holding me back is the fact that I have a perfectly good running paid for vehicle..
I'm in a similar position and that's the only thing that will keep me from buying a Cybertruck. I really, really want it. But don't really need it. My Tesla Model 3 is paid for and does everything I need including tow small utility trailers when I need to take stuff to my Dad's house 3 hours away. The Cybertruck would make things easier because the cargo I would normally put in a trailer fits directly in the bed, but I don't really need it. I've been debating if I should get solar instead of Cybertruck, but it wouldn't work where I live surrounded by neighbors' trees.

Tesla Cybertruck What would prevent your purchase? IMG_20210523_143847

Tesla Cybertruck What would prevent your purchase? IMG_20210601_142123__01

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Price. If everything is an option, it may slip out of where my spouse will be comfortable buying it.

Tesla isn't known for making complex options trees, though.

Here's the previous conversation one RTI (including definition): https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/cybertruck-rti-ramp-travel-index-specs.1768/

I think most companies don't print it because it's kind of a dangerous maneuver, and ladder-frame trucks probably have some big individual variance as their metal twists and fatigues.

That won't be an issue with the Cybertruck.

-Crissa

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I think most companies don't print it because it's kind of a dangerous maneuver, and ladder-frame trucks probably have some big individual variance as their metal twists and fatigues.

That won't be an issue with the Cybertruck.

-Crissa
I probably could have listed this one in my curious list. I don't do a lot of intentional extreme off road driving, but I do hunt and I will go as far deep as I can, pushing the limit where some turn around, which has in the past put me in some less then desirable positions with my truck. I'm just curious if the CT will be more or less capable of handling some of these ill thought out and not planned out very well excursions.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Can the purchase be delayed? If my number come up, and I don't want to make the purchase, can I delay by 6 months or a year. Really only curious about this because I'm about 90k inline for the truck...

If you need to delay, please tell Tesla Diehard is willing (out of goodness of his heart) to switch his 700,000 spot with you and I will figure out a way to deal with the terrible consequences.

For me the main sources of cancellation would be time and price. If they increase the price beyond what I am willing to pay or the delivery time remains unknown beyond the limits of my patience. Other than that, multiple bad reviews of truck's reliability and functional inadequacy.

Death. Being dead would prevent my purchase.
With any new EV truck, that is a real concern for some of us.

Last edited:

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
Few things for me.
1) I got a paid off and perfect condition SUV that is one of my dream vehicles to own
2) Price (this is the biggie that will decide whether I back out or continue with the vehicle)
3) Gotta see if it fits in the garage (lengthwise)
4) Insurance premiums

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Short version:
If you intend on purchasing today, and knowing what we know today and what we don't know yet; when the final product and pricing is revealed, what would prevent you from making the purchase?

Extended read:
I reserved a CT3 w/FSD.
I have a list of questions I 'm curious about, (but don't really care all that much about), a list I care about that will make me more or less inclined to purchase, and a short list of concerns that would prevent me from making the purchase.

I'm curious about...
-What is the battery size?
-Will it have side view mirrors?
-Is the tailgate ramp standard or optional? Price if optional?
-V2H or V2G or V2V options?
-Will it have a mid-gate? Standard or optional? Price if optional?
-Is that full glass roof standard or optional? Price if optional?
-How much is that camping package option they show and can I still use the bed for doing truck things with that package onboard?
-Can the purchase be delayed? If my number come up, and I don't want to make the purchase, can I delay by 6 months or a year. Really only curious about this because I'm about 90k inline for the truck...whatever that means. I'm personally not expecting delivery until late next year. Maybe it will be summer time or even spring...I don't know. I'm retiring from active duty in Oct next year. It would be good to know I secured a follow on job prior to spending my savings for this truck. Ideally, I retire, I get a job, I receive the notification to finalize my CT order.

I care about...
-What is it's actual wheel travel? I know we saw 20" recently posted, but that is so far beyond even a Raptor's spec travel, that I don't believe it until I see it in the actual CT specs.
-What is it's RTI? Not usually a spec released by the company. We probably won't know this until a youtuber posts his/her review.
-What is its turning radius? This should be a Tesla released spec. Some of the videos we've seen make it look like absolute trash. It has to be inline with the Raptor or better. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty terrible because I think it has a longer wheelbase while being the same length of an F150 (which helps it for the approach and depart angles but hurts it for turning radius and and breakover angle...which the CT compensates for with the massive 16" of clearance. But that clearance does not help with the turning radius. It's going to need a ton of wheel angle range.)
-Is the solar panel cover standard or optional? What's the price if it's an option and how much range does it provide or how much phantom loss does it replenish?
(These next two are danger close to falling onto my next list)
-Are 35's standard or optional and if it's an option, how much will they effect the range...hoping there is an EPA stated range for them if it's an option. If it is an option I just can't imagine the range is 500+ with them. Which means I'd be purchasing the CT3 without 35s which makes me far far less excited.
-Is the interior we've seen the final product? Frankly, I don't like it. It doesn't need to be fancy (ie, Platinum, Laramie, etc...but XLT, Longhorn would be good) What storage is there around the driver and passengers...yes, cupholders and storage matter.

But most importantly, I need to know the following or it will prevent my purchase.
-What is it's EPA range? 500 is the bare minimum. If it's exactly 500 I have a decision to make. I'm not overly concerned with this one as I think the EPA range will be over 500 miles...but that might be with 32" hwy tires. I need it to have 500 miles with at least 32" AT tires. Again, not too concerned but if it turns out I'll only get 499 with 32" ATs, I'm out.
-How much will the insurance be? If it nullifies my fuel saving or significantly cuts into the money saved from buying fuel vs my current cost to insure my F150 $77/mo), it makes the premium price not yet justifiable (for me). Today, I feel like I need to see the payback for the premium I'm paying in under 15 years. By "premium" I'm talking about what I'd normally be spending on a new to me, 2 year old used truck vs the brand new CT. If I'd normally buy a used truck for say $35k (this would be a new high for me) and I'm spending ~ $76k on this new CT then the premium is $41k. Between fuel saving and insurance rates, and yes additional maintenance savings because EVs have so fewer moving parts, (but maybe go through tires faster) I need to save $41k over 15 years. This is going to be a wag, but if the wag seems too far off, it will prevent me from making the purchase. The simple math is that I am going to have to save about $225/mo buying this truck vs something else, when I only drive about 15k miles a year. My electrical rates are $0.105/kWh and gas is currently about $3.50/gal here. So right now I spend about $368/mo on gas and insurance. I estimate spending about $65/mo in electricity from home with the CT (assuming 100% of my charging is at home). I feel like the insurance is going to be more then $128/mo for this CT. Making the premium payback over 15 years.
-Depending on how that immediate concern get answered I may need an answer on the tax incentive. Right now, we don't get one. If one is established it could sway the numbers back in favor of the purchase.

So what say you? No tax incentive, no purchase? No midgate, no purchase? No V2?, no purchase? No change to the interior, no purchase? Just curious.
There are 2 things that would keep me from buying my CT, assuming it comes as unveiled: (1) Tesla doesn't make it, or (2) I die before it is made. Number 1 seems unlikely and I don't want to dwell on number 2. It sounds like a much more challenging decision for you. Sorry to hear it but such is life.

Last edited:

Eddie_Catflap

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester SJ 2.5i
Occupation
Archaeologist
Country flag

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The only thing that would prevent me from buying the Cybertruck is:

Style change (highly unlikely)
Massively reduced range from what would suggested (highly unlikely)

I can't think of anything else that would be a deal breaker for me. I've wanted to switch to EV for a long time, I need a truck, I love the design of the Cybertruck (interior and exterior), I've believed and invested in Tesla for years, and I really want a unique vehicle that stands out.

If the range is a bit lower with 35" wheels, or the towing capacity is a bit lower, or even if the price for the Cybertruck increases; none of that will make me doubt my decision to buy even in the slightest.

I don't see it likely that any area of the Cybertruck will have gotten worse in the past couple years since it's unveiling. If anything, everything we've seen from patents and tweets, the Cybertruck seems to be improving.

There are a lot of things that have been hinted about being just a possibility that i'm really hoping for but I will be completely satisfied with or without everything I desire included.
Sponsored