Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I enjoyed my avalanche but the specs on the EV version would need to be overwhelming to convince me to buy again. Maybe my wallet is still in shock for all the times I filled it up.Lots of fond memories.
I salivated over it for years but didn’t buy due to MPG. It would likely be less efficient than CT but not as expensive to cover miles as original. If specs are slightly bellow CT but I can get it two years before CT, I probably would go for it. Mainly due to the original crush. I doubt anyone else here would. One of the rumors floating around is that when GM folks were talking on the stage, one of the EVs behind them may have been an Avalanche (Not Silverado). It would have to be half the Hummer price for me to look at it and I am not sure why GM would make it if they are sold out of Hummers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Having a low reservation number on Avalanche EV with original mid-gate, reasonable price and range.
Just to have a midgate? I want a midgate and all...but the Cybertruck is still so great. Also it comes with that awesome Tesla interior and Tesla software.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I hope they lighten the body up instead of trying to graft the existing design onto a skateboard.

I would take a serious look too based on nostalgia. I fell more in love with the CT though.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to have a midgate? I want a midgate and all...but the Cybertruck is still so great. Also it comes with that awesome Tesla interior and Tesla software.
Not just mid-gate, Mid-gate, and 2-3 years earlier ownership. My number with CT is 700,000. And despite Bolt fires, I trust GM with EVs more than Ford (but not as much as Tesla). And I have a feeling (based on no evidence for these two trucks) that GM batteries will be easier to maintain by third party over long run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
And I have a feeling (based on no evidence for these two trucks) that GM batteries will be easier to maintain by third
Can you explain what you mean here? I didn't realize the batteries required service maintenance. Or are you talking about replacement in the event of an accident?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Well, you can always have both and see which fits your use better. In either case, you get your Cybertruck, maybe trade it in for a cute ID.Buzz, maybe not.

Cybertruck is next year, ID.Buzz is... Prolly two years out? At earliest?

-Crissa
Vehicles have different personalities. Those 2 vehicles are on opposite ends of the spectrum!

Cybertruck & VW Buzz have a conversation:
CT: I was designed to be a Leader in Apocalypse technology!
VW: I just wanna have fun!
CT: I'm built to be Baja tough!
VW: I've been to Baja it was fun!

Oh brother, what do I do. Probably will end up with both. :)

BTW, this was one of the vehicles I took to Cabo in the 80's.

Tesla Cybertruck What would prevent your purchase? bajabus

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you explain what you mean here? I didn't realize the batteries required service maintenance. Or are you talking about replacement in the event of an accident?
I meant repair, not maintenance. With Old Volts, it looked like if one section of the pack had problems you could just replace that section and videos of the hummer suggests that is still the case for new GM EVs as well. With structural glued 4680s, it sounds like labor would be too expensive to justify repair after warranty and you may have to just pay the $16K to replace the pack If something goes wrong.

I have no personal experience with this and it is all based on third hand info and a bunch of assumption. Feel free to set me straight if I am off on something.

Last edited:

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I meant repair, not maintenance. With Old Volts, it looked like if one section of the pack had problems you could just replace that section and videos of the hummer suggests that is still the case for new GM EVs as well. With structural glued 4680s, it sounds like labor would be too expensive to justify repair after warranty and you may have to just pay the $16K to replace the pack If something goes wrong.

I have no personal experience with this and it is all based on third hand info and a bunch of assumption. Feel free to set me straight if I am off on something.
Seems pretty likely by the time the warranty expires (depending on your average mileage) that batteries may have declined further in price. Sure they'll be $16K by then?

Also, I wonder what the MTBF is on battery cells after the initial period were they tend to decline and lose range? Are they like old spinning rust hard drives that after the first year or so, they tended to rarely fail. In other words, they fail fast. So if your battery lasts the warranty period what is the chance of catastrophic failure? More likely they will just lose capacity in which case they should still have a good amount of value for stationary storage or the entire truck will still have a lot of value to someone who doesn't need the range. Say you have the CT3, and you are down to 70% that's still 350 miles. You might be better off flipping the truck and buying a new one?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems pretty likely by the time the warranty expires (depending on your average mileage) that batteries may have declined further in price. Sure they'll be $16K by then?
I am barely sure of my name these days. If you can use third party batteries, you will definitely be able to get a much better battery for less (assuming inflation is not out of control). On the other hand, if there is something in there that ties you to Tesla, you will pay what Tesla would like to Charge if they care enough to still support the old CTs.

I wonder what the MTBF is on battery cells after the initial period were they tend to decline and lose range?
I bet Elon wonders about that too. I am not worried about losing range. I am even OK with the 10 year old model S battery normal range loss. It seems like the likelihood of failure increases after that. I am thinking of keeping CT for 20 years (If I am around that long). If you are changing cars every 3 years, this is a complete waste of your time.

It sounds like they were still tweaking the batteries that are suppose to go to CT. Some initial tests suggested that they could be million mile batteries but as far as failure rates goes, they could increase the charge and discharge cycles to simulate longer use but time is about more than cycles. If they put the new batteries in production this year in CT and Y, only we (the owners/users) can truly test them for real world failure.

You might be better off flipping the truck and buying a new one?
At the rate the tech is changing these days, everyone will be riding taxis and it will be hard to flip:

Tesla4KShares

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, Y LR, CT
Occupation
FI but not Retired
Country flag
There is nothing holding me back at the moment from buying the CT. There are just so many more Pros than Cons. It's hard to get something else. To me, of all things, the Supercharging network is the key. Only Tesla has a nationwide, reliable charging network on Planet Earth at this time. That is a determining factor for me.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I am barely sure of my name these days. If you can use third party batteries, you will definitely be able to get a much better battery for less (assuming inflation is not out of control). On the other hand, if there is something in there that ties you to Tesla, you will pay what Tesla would like to Charge if they care enough to still support the old CTs.

I bet Elon wonders about that too. I am not worried about losing range. I am even OK with the 10 year old model S battery normal range loss. It seems like the likelihood of failure increases after that. I am thinking of keeping CT for 20 years (If I am around that long). If you are changing cars every 3 years, this is a complete waste of your time.

It sounds like they were still tweaking the batteries that are suppose to go to CT. Some initial tests suggested that they could be million mile batteries but as far as failure rates goes, they could increase the charge and discharge cycles to simulate longer use but time is about more than cycles. If they put the new batteries in production this year in CT and Y, only we (the owners/users) can truly test them for real world failure.

At the rate the tech is changing these days, everyone will be riding taxis and it will be hard to flip:

All good points, we are in uncharted waters.

I tend to keep my cars about 5 years, although it I could convince myself every 3 years I would because I like new cars, new tech etc. My daughter will be approaching driving age by then, but I don't think I see her in a CT. In the past I would have said I'd buy something new after 5 years in the CT for sure, but since Tesla produced the Model 3 I'm not that interested in most other brands. Maybe a C8 Corvette but I need more space and by then the C8 will be old news. If there is not much new from Tesla I might just keep it. If they make a Cyber SUV I could see myself jumping on that as I don't really need a truck but like everything else about it.

If I'm somehow wealthy, I might consider keeping the CT for its practicality and buying a roadster for fun... but I'd have to be seriously loaded.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If they make a Cyber SUV I could see myself jumping on that as I don't really need a truck but like everything else about it.
If they announce a dual assembly line at the update (CT + CSUV) and let you swap your reservation, I would. Especially if there is no full pass-through on CT. I doubt that would happen though. Elon wants to break new records with Y and that would get in the way.

If I'm somehow wealthy, I might consider keeping the CT for its practicality and buying a roadster for fun... but I'd have to be seriously loaded.
You don’t need to be loaded. I paid $10K for a used Saturn Sky Redline that looks and drives like new. It delivers loads of grin every time I get in it And I could sell it for $16K now. A brand new C8 is not the only way to do it. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

I on the other hand am getting ready to simplify. CT looked like could help me do that (If I can ever get one).
Sponsored