Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
Just make a guess, it’s that simple. There are so many references out there with all the other trucks it’s just a guess. People have been customizing since DIY projects became a thing. Literally, just make a guess. I can change the rotor size, I can swap out the calipers, there are adapters for pretty much anything. Be creative
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I struggle with picturing tires or wheels that would be suitable for both my Model Y which uses 20” tires versus the Cybertruck that appears to be on 33 inch tires.

I’ve seriously considered putting off-road tires on my Model Y. But those might be like 22 inch tires max. They wouldn’t be remotely close to the ones which come by default on the Cybertruck.

If you like trucks with tiny tires, or cars with giant tires, maybe it’ll fly. Otherwise I think you are SOL.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Generally off-road tires are small rims, big tires. The more sidewall you have, the more tread you can have, the more mud you can bite through.

I think that's why they're asking.

-Crissa

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Who else cares about the specs of a tire except for the sports drivers who are going to order customized rims for their Cybertruck?

Deleted member 3316

Like others say, it's way too early to know anything concrete. But I bet that 17" wheels will be too small to clear the brakes on Cybertruck based on the fact that you can't fit 17" wheels on any of the other vehicles Tesla makes. Minimum size is 18" for Model 3/Y and 19" for Model S/X. The Performance models usually require bigger wheels at 19" and 20" respectively. The Cybertruck will likely have bigger brakes and rotors because it will be heavier and be rated to tow. The only way I can see 17" wheels working is if Tesla moves the brakes inboard and mounts them on the subframe (like the Bollinger B1). It would be great if Tesla did this. Or I guess Tesla could use a brake system or hub more like traditional trucks use in order to allow the smaller wheels.
?? inboard brakes and portal hubs??

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
?? inboard brakes and portal hubs??
I was looking into converting the cybertruck wheels into the military hummers that self inflate.

that’s how creative i was being

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I struggle with picturing tires or wheels that would be suitable for both my Model Y which uses 20” tires versus the Cybertruck that appears to be on 33 inch tires.

I’ve seriously considered putting off-road tires on my Model Y. But those might be like 22 inch tires max. They wouldn’t be remotely close to the ones which come by default on the Cybertruck.

If you like trucks with tiny tires, or cars with giant tires, maybe it’ll fly. Otherwise I think you are SOL.
You can go up to a 29” tire and wheel with a very VERY tight fit from brake caliper to rim. (255+x70r18). Even more space if you buy the mountain pass rotor that has smaller mm.

i just wanted the rim and LUG pattern so i can have one rim size for the massive tires I’d put on the CT and just swap out the rubber from model y to ct.

I will say, as soon as the specs drop for the CT I’m going to be bulletproofing that whole underside and suspension system with 40’s if they will fit otherwise i will either make due with the wheel well or get to chopping and make it bigger.

**insert mad scientist maniacal laugh here** ???????

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You can go up to a 29” tire and wheel with a very VERY tight fit from brake caliper to rim. (255+x70r18). Even more space if you buy the mountain pass rotor that has smaller mm.

i just wanted the rim and LUG pattern so i can have one rim size for the massive tires I’d put on the CT and just swap out the rubber from model y to ct.

I will say, as soon as the specs drop for the CT I’m going to be bulletproofing that whole underside and suspension system with 40’s if they will fit otherwise i will either make due with the wheel well or get to chopping and make it bigger.

**insert mad scientist maniacal laugh here** ???????
I’ve been considering going the off road route with my Model Y. I just like the drive too much on the highway to do it for the small amount of off road stuff I do right now. Have you seen the lift kits out there? Which do you prefer? I was thinking Unplugged Performance since it increases travel and isn’t just a spacer kit.

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’ve been considering going the off road route with my Model Y. I just like the drive too much on the highway to do it for the small amount of off road stuff I do right now. Have you seen the lift kits out there? Which do you prefer? I was thinking Unplugged Performance since it increases travel and isn’t just a spacer kit.
I didn't know about them until I watched iTesla on youtube yesterday so its funny you should mention them. I just checked out the Dirt And Snow Coilover Suspension Kit. Sadly it's sold out because i guess everyone wants it.

My ideal goal is to have the 18' wheel (6 lug with adaptor so they can fit) with a set of 245/40, This way I can still have roughly the same 26 inch tire as the original performance tires but 1/3 the weight and bigger side wall. Then I can just transfer the wheel to the Cybertruck and pop back on the original performance wheels and tire to the model y.

I havent pulled the trigger yet because of the suspension and offsets. I can't get a lift because everything is on backorder and I dont want to have the tires because if I get 0 offset it'll look like my Model Y has been slammed with tires sticking out and I can't get -44 offset because then it will throw off the look of the cybertruck which i'd want the 0 offset more.

Going back to your original question though.... I saw Unplugged and writing this down I might just end up getting the "softer" suspension for a smoother Model Y ride. Maybe when things aren't on backorder anymore I'll experiment and buy some offroading stuff for the model y. ugh.... I hate settling

OP
OP
Lives2TruckAround

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But that's neither a portal axle nor inboard brakes. It's a tire inflation system.
What if…. The brakes compressed the air which gets used to raise and lower the portal axle and fill the tires?

What if, they also charged up the SpaceX cold gas thrusters?
Sponsored