Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
On reveal night I still expected Tesla to go bankrupt.

That was my reason for waiting 56 days before pulling the trigger and dropping a C-note into Tesla’s coffers. By that time the reservation order number sequence had already ratcheted up 466,000 spots.

Subtracting out the estimate for non-Cybertruck reservations during that period, the tracker here puts me at 419,000 and change. A few months back the tracker estimated I might expect my truck mid-December of 2024. Now, as of this morning, it has pushed out that estimated delivery to mid-March of 2025.

Maybe.

The two great unknowns, of course, are how fast the ramp proceeds; and the conversion rate of those pre-orders in front of us. Most of us here will be watching both those progressions with bated breath.

Tesla obviously has a much more nuanced view of what the ramp entails than us mere peons on the sideline. But even their looking glass remains mighty opaque this early in the game. That ramp could easily surprise either up or down.

But their cautious hope, expressed by none other than Elon himself, is to hit full production (~250K units) in 2025. Mind you, that doesn’t mean delivering 250K units in 2025.

If we all climb aboard Elon’s fast train (named Optimism & Hope) and Tesla succeeds in hitting that full production target of 250K in, say, December of 2025, there’s one fair certainty buried in that success: Tesla has to make pretty good progress in 2024. Hitting their 2025 bogey doesn’t happen if they don’t enter the year already running at a decent clip.

What’s a pretty good clip? How many Cybertrucks must Tesla deliver in 2024?

I dunno. But I’ll throw a dart and call it 50-70K.

Turning to the pre-order conversion rate, I’ll point out that those of us here are a biased minority. We see that today in what appears to be a fairly high conversion rate among those who received Foundation Series invites. And we’re going to see it tomorrow when the FS ends and regular trims start to move.

Even before the Delivery Event a few weeks ago, many of us never expected the conversion rate to be terribly high. A refundable hundred bucks doesn’t exactly demand a lot of commitment. If you had asked me over Thanksgiving what I thought it might be, I’d have probably guessed something on the order of 30-40%.

For good or for ill, that Delivery event changed everything. After that event I said we would see a conversion rate somewhere between 10-20%.

I’m just a nobody, of course. And my guess has little more credence than a dart throw.

But analysts polled by Visible Alpha expect something on the order of 2.2 million Tesla deliveries in 2024. That figure is reasonable, I think, given Elon’s earlier hope to hit 2 million deliveries in 2023 (a figure they will miss by a couple hundred thousand); and taking into account softening EV (and ICE) sales because of interest rates and other economic headwinds.

And Tom Narayan, an analyst at RBC Capital Markets, expects the Cybertruck will represent 3% of Tesla’s volume in 2024. I don’t know who Tom Narayan is, but someone is paying him to make guesses on this stuff, so we could imagine his dart throw is better than mine.

Three percent of 2.2 million is 66,000 Cybertrucks. That’s what Tom thinks will happen.

My conversion rate guess of 10-20%... putting a stake in the ground right in the middle of that range (15%) means 62,000-odd Cybertrucks have to be built before my number comes up.

I’m gonna buy Tom a drink, throw my hat in the rink alongside his, and wager I’m driving my new Cybertruck in time for next Christmas.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jones 1

First Name
Cardell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes, Toyota , Ram
Occupation
Tech
Country flag

That was my reason for waiting 56 days before pulling the trigger and dropping a C-note into Tesla’s coffers. By that time the reservation order number sequence had already ratcheted up 466,000 spots.

Subtracting out the estimate for non-Cybertruck reservations during that period, the tracker here puts me at 419,000 and change. A few months back the tracker estimated I might expect my truck mid-December of 2024. Now, as of this morning, it has pushed out that estimated delivery to mid-March of 2025.

Maybe.

The two great unknowns, of course, are how fast the ramp proceeds; and the conversion rate of those pre-orders in front of us. Most of us here will be watching both those progressions with bated breath.

Tesla obviously has a much more nuanced view of what the ramp entails than us mere peons on the sideline. But even their looking glass remains mighty opaque this early in the game. That ramp could easily surprise either up or down.

But their cautious hope, expressed by none other than Elon himself, is to hit full production (~250K units) in 2025. Mind you, that doesn’t mean delivering 250K units in 2025.

If we all climb aboard Elon’s fast train (named Optimism & Hope) and Tesla succeeds in hitting that full production target of 250K in, say, December of 2025, there’s one fair certainty buried in that success: Tesla has to make pretty good progress in 2024. Hitting their 2025 bogey doesn’t happen if they don’t enter the year already running at a decent clip.

Turning to the pre-order conversion rate, I’ll point out that those of us here are a biased minority. We see that today in what appears to be a fairly high conversion rate among those who received Foundation Series invites. And we’re going to see it tomorrow when the FS ends and regular trims start to move.

Even before the Delivery Event a few weeks ago, many of us never expected the conversion rate to be terribly high. A refundable hundred bucks doesn’t exactly demand a lot of commitment. If you had asked me over Thanksgiving what I thought it might be, I’d have probably guessed something on the order of 30-40%.

For good or for ill, that Delivery event changed everything. After that event I said we would see a conversion rate somewhere between 10-20%.

I’m just a nobody, of course. And my guess has little more credence than a dart throw.

But analysts polled by Visible Alpha expect something on the order of 2.2 million Tesla deliveries in 2024. That figure is reasonable, I think, given Elon’s earlier hope to hit 2 million deliveries in 2023 (a figure they will miss by a couple hundred thousand); and taking into account softening EV (and ICE) sales because of interest rates and other economic headwinds.

And Tom Narayan, an analyst at RBC Capital Markets, expects the Cybertruck will represent 3% of Tesla’s volume in 2024. I don’t know who Tom Narayan is, but someone is paying him to make guesses on this stuff, so we could imagine his dart throw is better than mine.

Three percent of 2.2 million is 66,000 Cybertrucks. That’s what Tom thinks will happen.

My conversion rate guess of 10-20%... putting a stake in the ground right in the middle of that range (15%) means 62,000-odd Cybertrucks have to be built before my number comes up.

I’m gonna buy Tom a drink, throw my hat in the rink alongside his, and wager I’m driving my new Cybertruck in time for next Christmas.
What estimator are you using now?

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
BY your numbers, at best Christmas of 2025.

466,000 your spot
-155,000 1/3 for single motor (I know way too high)
311,000 tri and dual motor
-62,000 your number of builds in 2024
249,000 to be built in 2025
-250,000 built by end (Dec) 2025
-1,000 Guess you will get you truck in Dec 2025 not next Christmas :eek:

Petertsai

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Maybe.

I heard that the limitations are due to the 4860 battery production rate. The number of 4860’s needed is tremendous given that they are for cyber truck, semi, and MY. The 4860 production line are at full speed. More lines are needed and assuming the chemical supply is not limited.

JoeRod97

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camaro SS.Impala.BMW335i.HD Road King.Fatboy
Occupation
UPS driver..retired
Country flag
All guestimates...its called wait and see. Just like all of us waiting since 2019. Im still waiting for my single..good luck ,,,so i also ordered the 2 motor on reveal day...al

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag

Maybe.

This is a very fair assessment and I wholeheartedly agree: you should have a VIN by Christmas of next year at the very least.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Paying somebody to make guesses doesn't make their guesses more accurate.
But he is slightly better than a coin flip.

Tom Narayan | RBC Capital Stock Analyst - TipRanks.com

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

The answer is unknown. But definitely long enough to kick yourself in the butt for not doing it earlier.

Your only relief? You beat those who ordered a year after you, or even since release date.

I wouldn't put too much credence in the estimator. I know a lot of work has been put into it, but there are a lot of variables that even small changes can make big differences.

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
We can all make guesses, I've got a Dec 2019 reservation for an AWD as well at around 400k per the estimator. My guesstimate is that I'm invited to configure mid-2024 for a vehicle delivered in Fall 2024 - so very similar to your guesstimate.

I'm thinking...
- 70% single motor
- 80% dropout/cancel/wait-and-see rate
- 50-75K Cybertrucks produced in 2024

Does that math exactly? no. By my calc I should be invited to configure late spring for a vehicle to be delivered over the summer - but the ramp may not be perfectly smooth and it's quite possible there are 1-2 line shutdowns in 2024, if not more, to reconfigure, recalibrate, etc.

Of course, higher order conversion rates throw it off quite a bit. But I think that's unlikely due to the materially higher pricing vs. 2019 and only availability of dual/tri-motor configs coupled with much higher interest rates vs. 2019 and no leasing as of yet. I also placed an order after the delivery event, that's around 2 million in line. I'm thinking there is a chance that gets delivered in late 2025 at which point there should be around 300K cybertrucks in the world, so an effective fulfillment rate of 15%.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
We can all make guesses, I've got a Dec 2019 reservation for an AWD as well at around 400k per the estimator. My guesstimate is that I'm invited to configure mid-2024 for a vehicle delivered in Fall 2024 - so very similar to your guesstimate.

I'm thinking...
- 70% single motor
- 80% dropout/cancel/wait-and-see rate
- 50-75K Cybertrucks produced in 2024

Does that math exactly? no. By my calc I should be invited to configure late spring for a vehicle to be delivered over the summer - but the ramp may not be perfectly smooth and it's quite possible there are 1-2 line shutdowns in 2024, if not more, to reconfigure, recalibrate, etc.

Of course, higher order conversion rates throw it off quite a bit. But I think that's unlikely due to the materially higher pricing vs. 2019 and only availability of dual/tri-motor configs coupled with much higher interest rates vs. 2019 and no leasing as of yet. I also placed an order after the delivery event, that's around 2 million in line. I'm thinking there is a chance that gets delivered in late 2025 at which point there should be around 300K cybertrucks in the world, so an effective fulfillment rate of 15%.
Let's hope for the best, but I'm guessing that your dropout rate may be a little high.
A LOT depends on if they allow multiple orders and resales.

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag

Maybe.

As well reasoned analysis as any other I have seen at this point. My order is 3 weeks after yours and not that much further down the list.

The higher initial price, the lower range and now the EV tax credit are all affecting the current conversion rates and, as you said, the ramp up speed is a big, big unknown. I am wishing you all the luck!

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Let's hope for the best, but I'm guessing that your dropout rate may be a little high.
A LOT depends on if they allow multiple orders and resales.
I think my dropout rate is high for the first 100,000 orders in line. But for the next 500K it's probably too low. It was easy for anyone to drop a C note for a CT reservation four years ago, my take is that few of those people are actually ready to pay $80-100K now and are also ready to drive a full-sized pickup truck instead of whatever they've got today.

If the CT were $50-70K and sized more like a compact truck/mid-sized SUV I think the take rate would be at least double my estimate. But a big truck is a big truck. And an expensive truck, in a high-interest rate era, is an even more expensive truck.

Novelty aside, I'm seeing $70-90K vehicles piling up on lots all around the Northeast, EV and ICE. Sometimes, affordability is just that.
Sponsored