Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
As I already have a wall charger for my Model S with the 24ft cable, this is not an issue for me. For those who do not already own a BEV, I would suggest installing a wall charger or 40-50amp 240volt outlet about as soon as you are able to configure and finalize your CT order. The CT like all Teslas will come with a portable charger that can adapt to many single phase outlets.

The issue for me will be having space to park the CT inside on a regular basis. The shed I use to house my car and small utility tractor has enough space, but there is also a farm tractor in the building seasonally (late fall -> late spring) that is used daily during that period. When the farm tractor is in the building there will not be enough space to allow it, my car, or my utility tractor to enter/exit without requiring the CT to be removed from the building first. Thus my CT will probably have to be parked outside most of the winter. :cry::mad:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What you want is called a EVSE, Electric Vehicle Service Equipment.

And really, it depends on what your personal needs are, your electrical supply, and rate system.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
As I already have a wall charger for my Model S with the 24ft cable, this is not an issue for me. For those who do not already own a BEV, I would suggest installing a wall charger or 40-50amp 240volt outlet about as soon as you are able to configure and finalize your CT order. The CT like all Teslas will come with a portable charger that can adapt to many single phase outlets.

The issue for me will be having space to park the CT inside on a regular basis. The shed I use to house my car and small utility tractor has enough space, but there is also a farm tractor in the building seasonally (late fall -> late spring) that is used daily during that period. When the farm tractor is in the building there will not be enough space to allow it, my car, or my utility tractor to enter/exit without requiring the CT to be removed from the building first. Thus my CT will probably have to be parked outside most of the winter. :cry::mad:
I have a Tesla wall charger (48 amps), but that works greaat for a Model 3 and maybe not for a CT. The number of miles per charge hour is going to be much lower, and the size of the battery will be much larger, so our charger, maxed out, will take days for a full charge, and most of a day for even less than a half charge. So as long as you are ok with that (I am not), then great. I am hoping that Tesla will have a better plan.

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
Only whenever I obtain my CT and figure out if both of my breaker boxes are safe to handle an EV charger. If not, I am planning an interesting charging solution. Should be cost free if this works out.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
We own a Model Y and I completed the electrical installation myself. I was lucky that I had a 30 amp, 220v outlet in the garage that wasn’t being utilized since we have a gas dryer that uses a 120v outlet. This is basically what I did and it cost me under $50;

-Purchased a NEMA 14-30 220v, 30 amp outlet at Home Depot for around $10
-Turned off the circuit breaker for the 220v dryer outlet and verified with an electrical tester that it was off. I removed the old outlet and installed the 30 amp NEMA 14-30 outlet.
-Purchased a GEN 2 14-30 adapter from Tesla online for $35
-The Model Y comes with a 120v outlet with the car. You simply unplug the short 120v connection and plug in the 220v 14-30 Tesla adapter to the Tesla electrical box that comes with the car
-Your now ready to charge your Cybertruck!!!

I have set our Tesla Model Y to charge the 2170 battery cells up to 80%. Our Dual Motor model is rated for 326 miles so it charges until it hits 260 miles of range. That is plenty of range for our driving needs. Battery experts claim that the Lithium Ion batteries should only be charged to a maximum of 80% for longevity reasons.

I also lowered the charging amperage from 30 amps to 24 amps (80%) so it’s gentler on the battery cells. You can change the settings very easily in the display under “charging”.

My current setup charges our Model Y batteries at roughly 20 miles of range per hour. I have attached photos of the 30 amp 220v NEMA 14-30 outlet and the Tesla GEN 2 NEMA 14-30 adapter that I purchased.

Tesla Cybertruck When to install the garage charger for your CT C33F6764-414A-47A7-B092-19687E5DA984

Tesla Cybertruck When to install the garage charger for your CT 48F51DB5-319B-4BB1-8564-7C0CE1C9671F

Last edited:

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
I have a Tesla wall charger (48 amps), but that works greaat for a Model 3 and maybe not for a CT. The number of miles per charge hour is going to be much lower, and the size of the battery will be much larger, so our charger, maxed out, will take days for a full charge, and most of a day for even less than a half charge. So as long as you are ok with that (I am not), then great. I am hoping that Tesla will have a better plan.
This both inaccurate and setting yourself and others up for disappointment. Even if it charges at half the rate of the 3/Y, which it won't (IMO), you are looking at a day max from zero to hero from the Tri-motor. If it charges at the same rate, you are looking at 12 hours, and how many times are you going from 0-100%? I've had to charge from @ 10% once in over a year and over 12,000 miles of driving so far in our Y. And that was PPP on my part. We keep it at 80% except for trips. So most nights it's is only getting back up to that from 50% or so, less than 2 hours.

If it charges at the same rate of @ 45 mph, which I bet it will, you are looking at a couple hours the majority of the time, worst case. Please stop trying to stress out my grid and plan a little better for your power needs. If you need more or faster, there is always an SC for you, if not, 48 amps (which is their new and hopefully widely adopted continuing standard: just enough, not too slow / low not too consumptive) should be plenty for anyone and their needs.

We need to stop consuming for consuming's sake as a planet. If not, we are lost. I'm all about freedom. I'm not about hurting everyone around me because of it. Here ends the rant but Cummmahhhn., bro..

S

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This both inaccurate and setting yourself and others up for disappointment. Even if it charges at half the rate of the 3/Y, which it won't (IMO), you are looking at a day max from zero to hero from the Tri-motor. If it charges at the same rate, you are looking at 12 hours, and how many times are you going from 0-100%? I've had to charge from @ 10% once in over a year and over 12,000 miles of driving so far in our Y. And that was PPP on my part. We keep it at 80% except for trips. So most nights it's is only getting back up to that from 50% or so, less than 2 hours.

If it charges at the same rate of @ 45 mph, which I bet it will, you are looking at a couple hours the majority of the time, worst case. Please stop trying to stress out my grid and plan a little better for your power needs. If you need more or faster, there is always an SC for you, if not, 48 amps (which is their new and hopefully widely adopted continuing standard: just enough, not too slow / low not too consumptive) should be plenty for anyone and their needs.

We need to stop consuming for consuming's sake as a planet. If not, we are lost. I'm all about freedom. I'm not about hurting everyone around me because of it. Here ends the rant but Cummmahhhn., bro..

S
We would all agree that the vast majority of the time we drive 100-200 miles between charges, around town, and I said as much in my comment.

Perhaps you should take a look at the table in this article. I knew I wasn’t accurate but I am sure I was in the right ballpark:

https://evcharging.enelx.com/resources/blog/577-how-long-does-it-take-to-charge-a-tesla

Last edited:

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I’m just trickle charging our Model 3 (LR Dual) on the standard 3-phase 230V, set to only 10 amps in the car. Our daily commute and use doesn’t move the needle much so this keeps it between 40-60%. When we’re planning to go to the cabin, father-in-law or Oslo I set the wanted charging level up to approx 95% a couple of days before. The latter is a chore but I haven’t come around to installing 40 amp cabling from the breaker panel to the garage yet. I’d still like to change between slow and faster charging in my case though. I bring the charger with me to the cabin too as the car isn’t used there and it can also trickle charge over a couple of days.

When it comes to the CT Tri the battery would be sufficient for those trips even on daily 40-60% battery level actually (on which the needle would move even less). But it’s a big battery and for unplanned even longer trips (and road trip vacation!), emergencies and such I will of course install a proper 40amp 3-phase 230V charger. But I’ll wait a bit in case of bidirectional abilities in the CT. The latter would also it make me want to keep it at a slightly higher daily level.

Last edited:

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
We would all agree that the vast majority of the time we drive 100-200 miles between charges, around town, and I said as much in my comment.

Perhaps you should take a look at the table in this article. I knew I wasn’t accurate but I am sure I was in the right ballpark:

https://evcharging.enelx.com/resources/blog/577-how-long-does-it-take-to-charge-a-tesla
My dude... You're a researcher??? That chart is whack. You have a Wall Charger, the least you could do is use a better, more applicable chart, such as this, to support your argument... https://www.divineelectricnorcal.com/tesla-charging-charts/

Go ahead, do your adds and takeaways, I'll wait.....

Days? Nah... Hours. Even if you half the values (which again, I doubt is accurate) you are looking at 4-8ish hours for a charge to top off after your 100-200 miles... So, just what ball park are you in? Kandlethick? ;)

SS

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think you may not have fully read the instructions that came with the wall charger. Tesla's wall charger (also called a destination charger at hotels) is capable of handling input of up to 100 amps of 240 volt single phase power. It's max output amperage is controlled by a small selector switch inside the unit. Thus the output of a wall charger is limited by that switch and the capacity of the input wiring. In my case the input is 90amp and max output of 72amp.

As your output is 48 amp, it appears your input circuit is probably only 60 amp. Max output is always 80% of input amps.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
My dude... You're a researcher??? That chart is whack. You have a Wall Charger, the least you could do is use a better, more applicable chart, such as this, to support your argument... https://www.divineelectricnorcal.com/tesla-charging-charts/

Go ahead, do your adds and takeaways, I'll wait.....

Days? Nah... Hours. Even if you half the values (which again, I doubt is accurate) you are looking at 4-8ish hours for a charge to top off after your 100-200 miles... So, just what ball park are you in? Kandlethick? ;)

SS
I say that you use the charger you have and have fun.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
My charger is installed with stupidly long cord (24 foot) for a 3 foot charge. The real issue I have like others is fitting it into my garage. There's so much crap that needs either to go to the dump, the donation, or a new location that I probably should start working on it now. :D

I could park the CT in the driveway and run the cable under the garage door but come on... paying 80K for a badass truck and then running a cable under the garage door, that's cheesy/stupid/tacky/ugly/pick your description for "really??!?".

One of the realities may be that my wife's model 3 has to live in the driveway when I want to charge which isn't the end of the world but she works from home and I'm the one on the road.

@batufrommongolia From bid to coming out and doing the work was three weeks. I would look to see what kinds of rebates/refunds you get from the city/county/tax/power company, check to see what kinds of requirements they have, then plan from there. Our charger plus installation turned cost us gross two thousand but net two hundred due incentives.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think you may not have fully read the instructions that came with the wall charger. Tesla's wall charger (also called a destination charger at hotels) is capable of handling input of up to 100 amps of 240 volt single phase power. It's max output amperage is controlled by a small selector switch inside the unit. Thus the output of a wall charger is limited by that switch and the capacity of the input wiring. In my case the input is 90amp and max output of 72amp.

As your output is 48 amp, it appears your input circuit is probably only 60 amp. Max output is always 80% of input amps.
My undersatanding is that Tesla limits the draw at 48 amps. My service and circuit breaker can handle more. The electrician set it up and the settings are in the installation manual.

Whoever asked about me being a researcher, my field is not EVs, so it is safe to say that my technical opinion in this context is not worth much, and I am happy to own up to it.

Here is a fragment of the conversation from January 28th, 2020 that I referred to before:

ajdelange said:
Home charging is going to be limited by what the home chargers can deliver which is 11.5 kW for 23 mi per hour. If you can connect two, as I hypothesize you might, you could get 46. That's pretty close to 54 even though the CT is considerably more power hungry than your current Tesla.
Jhodgesatmb said:
I am confused. We have an M3 that charges at 48 amps and we get 44 miles per hour now.
Just understand that it is exactly the same with BEV's as it is with ICE cars. A compact sedan gets more miles per gallon than a muscualr pickup truck. Same here. Your M3 gets 44/(240*48/1000) = 3.8 miles per kWh taken from the mains. For the Cybertruck that's expected to be around 2.0 miles per kWh.

I am not trying to upset anyone, I am simply trying to get a realistic idea of how long it will take to charge the truck using my current setup, and I am not too pleased. I have looked at several tables (since this 'discussion' began) and they are consistently saying that the Model X, which weighs less than the CT and has a maximum battery size roughly half as large, gets at most 29 miles per hour. AJ seemed to think that the CT would get more like 23 miles per hour and that the charging would be limited to 11.5 kW. That would give us 200 miles in about 9 hours on a Level 2 charger.

By the way, here is another table I found (there aren't many, the two I have provided are the only 2 I have seen):

https://talsem.com/pages/how-long-d...tVBlZKVi7erQYf-Q1-Vvz0y5p4jogQe4aApaQEALw_wcB
Sponsored