Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My undersatanding is that Tesla limits the draw at 48 amps. My service and circuit breaker can handle more. The electrician set it up and the settings are in the installation manual.
The elephant in the room is that we have no idea what charger Tesla will put in the Cybertruck for level 2 charging. Early model S had the option to have 2 chargers and handle 80 amp. My 2018 MS can accept 72 amp. I believe most new Teslas are in the 32-40 amp range. I think Tesla believes most owners do not need to charge at home any faster than about 32amp. This could also be a production cost reduction measure. So if you frequently need faster charging, I hope there is a Supercharger near you.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The elephant in the room is that we have no idea what charger Tesla will put in the Cybertruck for level 2 charging. Early model S had the option to have 2 chargers and handle 80 amp. My 2018 MS can accept 72 amp. I believe most new Teslas are in the 32-40 amp range. I think Tesla believes most owners do not need to charge at home any faster than about 32amp. This could also be a production cost reduction measure. So if you frequently need faster charging, I hope there is a Supercharger near you.
I don’t use super chargers except on trips. I can survive an overnight charge but plan to increase my service and get a second charger. It would indeed be nice if the CT has provisions for higher-amperage charging or multiple chargers and that is the kind of thing I was originally referring to. 72 amps must have been quite a ride. Our M3 is limited at 48.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Something not mentioned is that some EVSEs also provide different charging times, which is important if you get variable rates from your electric supplier.

You could set it to charge only while you have solar available, or at night when the rate is low.

Built into every Tesla is a charge target: you can tell it how much to charge to (to maintain the battery or range you need on a daily bases) and/or you can set it to be ready at a certain time, and it will calculate based upon the EVSE when it has to turn on the charger to finish charging before you intend to leave.

-Crissa

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I don’t use super chargers except on trips. I can survive an overnight charge but plan to increase my service and get a second charger. It would indeed be nice if the CT has provisions for higher-amperage charging or multiple chargers and that is the kind of thing I was originally referring to. 72 amps must have been quite a ride. Our M3 is limited at 48.
I agree that a limit of 48 amps can be too slow for some owners. Level 2 charging is always limited by what the charger in the vehicle can handle. Hopefully Tesla will have a charger in the CT that can handle 70+ amps. But I doubt it based on what they are using in their other vehicles.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really it would be better if we started putting DC charging into garages. That doesn't require heavy, bulky equipment on the truck that you only use at home.

-Crissa

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I will work out my charging issues as soon as my CT is at it's new home. I will talk with Tesla and figure out the particulars. I will have the people installing my solar completing about a week before my CT arrives, and an electrician will provide a 220 outlet on both sides of the garage. No problemo.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I will work out my charging issues as soon as my CT is at it's new home. I will talk with Tesla and figure out the particulars. I will have the people installing my solar completing about a week before my CT arrives, and an electrician will provide a 220 outlet on both sides of the garage. No problemo.
Good luck with that. I got my Tesla Solar installed a couple of months ago and am very glad that I started the process nearly a year ago

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag
I’m ready. I had a 50 amp, 240 volt service to my V3 Tesla Wall Connector installed just outside of the garage last week.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Really it would be better if we started putting DC charging into garages. That doesn't require heavy, bulky equipment on the truck that you only use at home.

-Crissa
Or for use of level2 @ destination?

Installed 470v and reduced down to 110/230v with a rather large inverter inside a mall. Not yet seen residential 400-1000v DC. BUT yeah that could happen. I’d guess it would add $8k pulling off the utility grid.

Solar might be straight forward and cheap. Anyone an electrical engineer?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or for use of level2 @ destination?
Yes, but not much level 2 charging is the high levels being discussed here. It's 3 to 22kW; most is in the 3-7 range, while most Tesla chargers can have 11kW. Carrying equipment for 24kW or more is doubling the volume and weight of your onboard charger and then never using that extra volume.

Not yet seen residential 400...
Literally the Level 2 charger in a vehicle does that. That's how a charger works, converting the AC to DC.

Most of the electric motorcycle (and nearly all the bicycles)offer offboard chargers. The price of a CCS DC charge unit offboard is currently about $3k for a weak portable unit which is comparable to the price of replacing your onboard charger. Because it's basically the same thing.

If you're only using half your on board charger anywhere but home, why carry double the charger around? Besides, these guys are talking about wanting to recharge 22-50kW. That's pretty hefty service panel anyhow!

-Crissa

SHorzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I have already ordered the gen3 charger and will get it installed next month. Hard getting trades so didn’t want to be without. Can’t wait for our CT3!

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
After they tell us what charger will work the best with the CT.
I'm only going to use 110v since I'll only be backing mine in and out of the garage to find a sunny spot for the solar panels. LOL!
Sponsored