Will Cybertruck be equipped with the new Tesla battery and motor?

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
It should be equipped with the 4680 cells but the chemistry is unknown for the CT at this time, likely the same as the MY is using but not a guarantee. The motor(s) is unknown as well but possibly the same motor as the S Plaid? The motors is really hard to say honestly as it could vary depending on how may motors as to which motors are used as another twist. Additionally the motors on the CT could be geared slightly lower being the top speed is much lower and it is a truck after all.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Battery, yes. Are you referring to the Model S Plaid motor? Probably not, but no one here knows. I certainly donā€™t.
The Plaid motor is the same as would be in the Tri Motor, yes.

Now, what will we see now? We don't know, since the Quad Motor has been put in the potential model list.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The carbon-wrapped rotor? When did Elon say that would go into the tri/quad CT? I remember it being discussed here but I do not recall him saying anything about it. Do you recall a tweek or other citation?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Given the hefty price tag of the Plaid model S, I don't understand the half priced $70,000 Tri.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given the hefty price tag of the Plaid model S, I don't understand the half priced $70,000 Tri.
Why?

The Plaid came out years before. It uses an older, more expensive manufacture method. It contains some tech not planned for the Cybertruck. It's supposed to be exclusive and fancy. It uses the most expensive (at manufacture) type of battery Tesla uses.

And flagship/capstone models always cost more. And they still sold like 20k of them last year.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Why?

The Plaid came out years before. It uses an older, more expensive manufacture method. It contains some tech not planned for the Cybertruck. It's supposed to be exclusive and fancy. It uses the most expensive (at manufacture) type of battery Tesla uses.

And flagship/capstone models always cost more. And they still sold like 20k of them last year.

-Crissa
It almost seems as though this argument is contradictory to an earlier one you made about the Model S Plaid motors being in the CT. I am unconvinced that the carbon-wrapped rotors are even needed in the CT, but they would certainly raise the price, seeing as they are an essential part of the Plaid design (and it costs so much more then the baseline Refreshed Model S).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It almost seems as though this argument is contradictory to an earlier one you made about the Model S Plaid motors being in the CT. I am unconvinced that the carbon-wrapped rotors are even needed in the CT, but they would certainly raise the price, seeing as they are an essential part of the Plaid design (and it costs so much more then the baseline Refreshed Model S).
Why?

You test out the fancy motors in the flagship. You show they work, you sell those first ones at a premium. A couple years later, those motors show up in another model. Without the exclusive pricing, and with manufacture optimized. Eventually that fancy motor is on the workhorse models.

This is how motor production has progressed for the last century.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Musk talked a bit about the Model S in his recent interview. The only reason they still make it is for ā€œsentimental reasonsā€. His words.

Model S production does not scale well and prices reflect that. Cybertruck is designed for mass production and prices will reflect that.

Cybertruck is being built by an alien dreadnaught. Model S is built using old world techniques.

You cannot compare the two. Cybertruck is going to be massively less expensive.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Why?

You test out the fancy motors in the flagship. You show they work, you sell those first ones at a premium. A couple years later, those motors show up in another model. Without the exclusive pricing, and with manufacture optimized. Eventually that fancy motor is on the workhorse models.

This is how motor production has progressed for the last century.

-Crissa
It also makes sense, when we look at what Elon "wants" the CT to be, to expect the stronger, smoother, higher RPM motor. I think it has been established that the 4680 batteries with the nickel chemistry is the direction they are going. I also feel that the Semi will have the new carbon fiber wrapped motor design instead of the model 3 motors. But that is because E.M. strikes me as someone who wants to dominate the industries he taps into. I expect that he wants the electric Semi to embarrass every aspect where diesel engines currently claim superiority, not just match the capabilities of diesel. The first offerings of the CT and Semi are going to be designed to dominate. Not just match, but make all others pick their jaws off the floor and have to step up their games. Because, remember, this isn't just to offer electric vehicles, it is to FORCE a paradigm shift to sustainability, and planetary health (my understanding).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Because, remember, this isn't just to offer electric vehicles, it is to FORCE a paradigm shift to sustainability, and planetary health (my understanding).
Yep

Worth remembering the Cybertruck isnā€™t competing with the Rivian primarily. Itā€™s number one competitor is ICE trucks.

BenH

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Landscaper
Country flag
I am not rich enough to understand different between Merces Benz and Toyota with similar spec but Merces Benz is 3x of price tag of Toyota.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The replies were in keeping with what I expected. But I had a doubt... do we detract from Plaid Model s and X ?

I grappled with the thought of losing the prestige price point for the Plaid Model S, but I guess ,moving with the times by including it in a high volume product is the logic pathway for any new tech.

Monroe thought it would be in the CT, I guess if they make a few million motors a year, it will be affordable.

Ballpark. Anyone guess how much extra for carbon fibre and the extra time to make it. ? Are we talking $500 or $50 or $5000 a motor ? I have NFI

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If you watch Sandy's Plaid teardown you can see the Carbon wrap on the rotor and the different magnet layout, but he says the stator and motor controller are the same as the M3.

That means to me that the Plaid motor only has a different rotor design and as such won't be much more expensive at all. The extra power comes from a whole extra motor, being a tri-motor and those motors being able to operate at higher RPM, and the CF wrap is there to stop it from flying apart at those speeds. The actual little bit of CF wrap they used, maybe 500g of it is not expensive $100-200. The new magnets might be the same, all up I doubt a plaid motor can cost $1-2k more than a standard M3 rotor. The rest is all the same.

Math wise a M3 performance is 240HP per motor, so 3 of those is 720Hp meaning the Plaid rotor adds another 45% in peak performance, which btw it can only put down on the ground over 80MPH or so because of tyre traction limits. This means that even in a 9 second quarter mile the plaid can ever only run at peak HP for 5-6 seconds or so before it hits the top speed limiter. That is not a long time to heat up anything and as such pre-cooling the system using launch control counteracts any such extra cooling demand.

Now if you wanted to run a 1000HP tractor which needs the power continuously with that same Plaid drivetrain you would be in a world of hurt and parts would fail and overheat fairly quickly. But because peak HP in a car is short term they can make it work.
Sponsored