Will Tesla Insurance cover Cybertruck in all states?

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
Insurance companies will gladly take your money for a car you don't own in a location where you don't live. But I'm guessing they won't pay any claims.

If the policy allows it, then it's OK, but read the fine print.
I made probably 3 claims during this time with no issues. US Insurance coverage applies in all 50 states.
Sponsored

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Is Tesla insurance cheaper than regular insurance?
SpaceYooper said:
I gave my co-worker a homework assignment. He drives a Model 3. He came here from California and he agreed with others here that Tesla insurance in CA was more expensive then both USAA and Geico (which he currently uses).

Now that he lives in CO it will be interesting to see what the Tesla insurance price to him will be.
He finally took the 10 minutes to get a quote. His current insurance is with Geico. With Telsa Insurance his price here in CO would drop by about $30/mo. This is pretty significant drop for just one car if you ask me. He did not know if Tesla would insure none Tesla vehicles.

Also, it's still pretty pricey. He said it would run him about $124/mo with Tesla. He's not young. He's married. He has no kids driving their cars. I was surprised a Model 3 was this much to insure. He said it's because they still cost a lot to repair...when needed.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
It just can't do the thing where they track live individual gps to change rates. Just because you live on the poor side of town is no reason to charge you higher insurance.
They don't do that, and living on the poor side of town IS a reason to pay more, because there's more risk. They do that with zip codes which right now is actually more punitive to some people. But Tesla doesn't use GPS locations; it uses driving habits.

The risk by location is very real, and I've experienced it. We had two smash and grabs when we lived in Chandler, adjacent to the ghetto. Not IN it, just close enough. Now we live far from one, in a place with basically no crime, and guess what...? Most people here don't even lock doors.

Now what CA's awesome laws do is prevent Tesla from offering DISCOUNTS to good drivers. That's right, the fact that you aren't doing the same things as the asshole swerving around and tailgating can't factor into giving you a lower rate. Sadly here in AZ we don't have consumer protection laws, and I have to live with the fact that because I don't drive like an asshole, I have to pay 30% less. I have tried to send Tesla the extra money but they won't take it.

Is Tesla insurance cheaper than regular insurance?
Generally it seems to be, but the real savings come from your driver rating. You will get a base rate at a 90 rating, and then you can go up or down from there. You are rated on excessive braking, tailgating, and other safety factors.

We were at about $120/mo with Progressive. The first month with Tesla, with the default 90, it was just under $100. And now...

Tesla Cybertruck Will Tesla Insurance cover Cybertruck in all states? 1660583092440

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They don't do that, and living on the poor side of town IS a reason to pay more, because there's more risk. They do that with zip codes which right now is actually more punitive to some people. But Tesla doesn't use GPS locations; it uses driving habits.
So no, and no.

Risk you cannot mitigate without changing your race or income is not a legal reason to charge people more. It's bullshit.

As pointed out, the 'driving habits' ding people for driving on steeper roads, for there being other assholes around, and yes, driving overnight or in poor neighborhoods.

Things, you know, poor people can't avoid. That's no reason to keep them poor - or for them to subsidize your risky behavior just because it's not counted.

Anyhow, it"a just 'live' data we ban. No tracking. You can use sample periods. We haven't yet gotten to define the specific rules like when or where or community rating, like we have for health care. But we should.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Risk you cannot mitigate without changing your race or income is not a legal reason to charge people more.
I mitigated it while staying hispanic.

Risk is risk. Nobody is being penalized except the people with lower risk who pay to subsidize those with higher risk.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
They don't do that, and living on the poor side of town IS a reason to pay more, because there's more risk. They do that with zip codes which right now is actually more punitive to some people.
I've experienced this as well. My zip code at the time had a high crime rate, but where I lived in that zipcode was not a high crime area. What pissed me off the most was that I lived in an apartment building with a secure underground garage. I tried to explain this to the insurance agent, but there was nothing she could do. "rules are rules" etc.

Now what CA's awesome laws do is prevent Tesla from offering DISCOUNTS to good drivers.
Being a good driver is subjective. The metrics that the insurance company use as feedback are, in my opinion, poor measurements of how good a driver is. I am a fairly aggressive driver. I'm also a fast driver. I've never been in a car accident and have been driving for over 30 years. Many miles on rural roads, many many miles of interstate, and many miles on urban streets (Boston, Chicago, Houston, LA, London, Frankfort... to name a few). I have never caused, or even been in a car accident.

Who should be deemed a good driver (and have lower insurance premiums):
  • Person A, who never exceeds the speed limit, accelerates and brakes at rates below the insurance companies threshold, but has caused more than one accident in a ten year period.

• Person B, who exceeds speed limits and accelerates and brakes at agressive rates, but only when and if they deem it safe to do so, never was in an accident and never had an insurance claim (due to driving) in over 30 years. (One claim was an uninsured motorist hit my legally parked unoccupied vehicle, the second was flood damage when I was in a bad rainstorm in an unfamiliar town, the "mud puddle" I drove through was almost 3 feet deep. This is when I learned the engine's air intake on a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee is right behind the left fog light, less than 2 feet off the ground.)
Yes I'll admit Person A is a straw man. But I'd argue the description of that person describes many people on the road.

End of rant. :)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
What pissed me off the most was that I lived in an apartment building with a secure underground garage.
If we let insurance companies use more detailed info, the rates can be more fair to everyone.

The metrics that the insurance company use as feedback are, in my opinion, poor measurements of how good a driver is.
Which insurance companies and what metrics? The metrics on Progressive are mostly different from those with Tesla (I've had both). "Fast" does not count with Tesla. There's not even an entry for it. And I'll tell you, seeing what other people score in my car, I completely agree with their point system. The one person who managed to get a 0 in my car on a short trip also scares me when driving, due to lack of seeing anything more than the car right in front of him. He also says that regen braking doesn't work enough and he has to step on the brakes. I never do. Who is more risky?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I've lied about nothing, unless you think I became less hispanic by moving. Your spurious accusations are both irrelevant and offensive here.

Empathy can co-exist with a realistic view of the world, life, and risk.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've lied about nothing, unless you think I became less hispanic by moving. Your spurious accusations are both irrelevant and offensive here.

Empathy can co-exist with a realistic view of the world, life, and risk.
You're now lying about what I wrote.

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Which insurance companies and what metrics?
Any company that has active driver feedback.

Any metric they read from the car.

Who is more risky?
I don't know. Who's had more accidents per driven mile. That, in my opinion, should be the most weighed metric.

For new drivers, where there's not enough sampling to use the metric I suggest, I can see using other more crude metrics.

I've had a few people say they don't like riding with me. But, more often, if a group of me and my friends are going somewhere I often get elected to drive, even if it isn't my vehicle. My old roomate would say, "Bill's driving... He's the only one here I feel safe with".

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Any metric they read from the car.
But that doesn't seem logical. The Tesla dings you a lot for tailgating, a known risky behavior. Progressive doesn't, but will ding you for quick acceleration. How is that dangerous?

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I hope California makes the list by my delivery date
that link was not to the complete list. that was only the states allowing rates based on your driver score. california doesnt allow that aspect but does allow tesla to sell insurance. i think california was one of the first.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
But that doesn't seem logical. The Tesla dings you a lot for tailgating, a known risky behavior. Progressive doesn't, but will ding you for quick acceleration. How is that dangerous?
Agreed that quick acceleration isn't necessarily dangerous in and of itself. But I'd argue a good driver could safety perform actions that Telsa would consider unsafe tailgating. I sometimes close the gap between me and the car in front of me to convey the message "Speed up or get the fµ¢k out of the fast lane, please". I will check my surroundings and if I feel I can safely I will close the following distance enough to get the drivers attention but still keep what I consider enough distance for me to react in. I may also hover my left foot over the brake pedal as an added measure to decrease reaction time. This is something I've done often on limited access divided highways. I'm either a good driver, or a lucky driver. After 30 plus years, I'm guessing more good than lucky, but I will admit there is a little luck in there also. 🤞🍀

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Yes, that’s one example of unsafe driving and should increase your cost.
Sponsored