Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I don't want a much smaller CT. Slightly, ok. But not much smaller. We have big trucks in Europe! Also: this is not a ciry car. It's an off-road beast: why bother about narrow streets? CT can drive through walls! Please le me sign a petition to import CT to Europe. I preordered one: so, what the hell did I preorder then?
I can take delivery of it for you then all you have to do is import it
That's cute, but nowhere does he say it can't comply with the same rules that other big trucks do.

We know there are places you can't buy/sell full-sized trucks on the retail market.

And there are a bunch of rules the prototype violates in the US currently, most notably the lights and mirrors.

Saying 'I can't sell this everywhere' is not the same as saying 'this won't be sold anywhere'.

And, as I've pointed out, there's barely a release year for the Y in places like the UK, let alone the Cybertruck. Let them fill their orders and build their factories before panicking.

-Crissa
What's wrong with the lights?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What's wrong with the lights?
They're not separated and they use a type of light not approved in a bunch of states.

*shrug* I don't know any other state that approves the digital plate-holder, either! (Nor should they, it's a dumb idea.)

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
They're not separated and they use a type of light not approved in a bunch of states.

*shrug* I don't know any other state that approves the digital plate-holder, either! (Nor should they, it's a dumb idea.)

-Crissa
I'm too lazy to look up the dimensions of CT but of course they are separated... The are separated by that long glowing blade. As for the type of light I don't know. LED?
I actually think the digital plate is a good idea... Require it and then require that the driver of a vehicle display his number... Now no reason to pull over people for traffic infraction. Just mail the citation, reduce police interactions and still be certain that you are citing the correct operator.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm too lazy to look up the dimensions of CT but of course they are separated... The are separated by that long glowing blade.
The long glowing blade is the light. The described it as being a laser actuated lamp which BMW is the only one I know with actually using and I don't know if they sell that model in the US yet.

I don't see how the plate that can change its numbers like something out of a spy flick helps them write you a ticket. They do that already, that's how tolls on the Golden Gate are collected now. And we've used the mail-the-owner-a-ticket for parking infractions for almost two decades.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The long glowing blade is the light. The described it as being a laser actuated lamp which BMW is the only one I know with actually using and I don't know if they sell that model in the US yet.

-Crissa
/89 mercury sable

Tesla Cybertruck Will the Cybertruck be allowed to drive in Europe? 10-1989-Mercury-Sable-in-Colorado-junkyard-©-2016-Murilee-Martin

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Yes don't know about laser powered headlights but I assume if they meet incidence angles that they are allowed.

Yes I understand that they cite the owner.... I said operator. The digital plate allows citing the operator if they wanted to make that a thing and I can't imagine that rental car companies wouldn't prefer that along with police finding it much easier to track a person if they display their operator number.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
In the immortal words of Eddie Murphy.

I’m getting a Cybertruck, a Wolverine Cybertruck,
And you’re not getting one, no you’re not getting one,
Cos you are on the welfare,
You’re Dad’s an alcoholic.

P.S. There are photo's of the car showing two separate headlights working.
The light beam across the width of the bonnet is turned off.

Post EDIT.

A few hours ago Elon tweeted something innocuous, and some may try to extract some meaning out of it that is simply not there.

When Elon was asked if the Large Cybertruck would be sold in Australia, he put the question back on the person asking him the question !

Elon : “If it pass’s Australian Regulations, then sure “ 27/9/20

Australian Reg’s are very much aligned with Euro Regulations.
Elon has confirmed “it is impossible" . . . for the Cybertruck to meet the Euro regulations” ( Q & A on battery day 22/9/20 ).
( Used a big font for the hard of hearing, and the hard of reading, and the hard of thinking :ROFLMAO: )
Therefore the Cybertruck will not be sold in Australia, the Euro Regulation compliant
“Wolverine Cybertruck” will.

AUSTRALIAN DESIGN RULES :
"The Australian Government's policy is to harmonise the national vehicle safety standards with international regulations where possible and consideration is given to the adoption of the international regulations of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE). Australia is a signatory to the UNECE 1958 Agreement and the 1998 Agreement. The policy to harmonise is also important to fulfil World Trade Organisation and Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation commitments."

Also this:

"Last week, Performax International -- Australia's largest importer of new American vehicles -- became the latest RHD converter to make Ford's latest Super Duty models available in Australia with full-volume federal government approval, starting with the F-250 at $105,000.

The Gympie, Queensland-based converter hopes to build up to 500 F-250, F-350 and F-450 Super Duty trucks next year (plus a range of Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge RAM and Toyota Tundra trucks), for sale via outlets in most capital cities.

But Performax has no plans to import the smaller new F-150 because it would require local crash testing and sub-3500kg versions would attract luxury car tax, making them prohibitively expensive."

I very much doubt Tesla will be Crash Testing Cybertruck's in Australia !
Those approximate 17,000 Australian and 150,000 European and Asian Reservation Holders, look like they will be getting the Wolverine Cybertruck . . . . . if they want to wait for one.

And yes, for all those Pulp Fiction fans, Australia does have a place called 'Gympie' and the residents are called . . . . . . . :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
In the immortal words of Eddie Murphy.

I’m getting a Cybertruck, a Wolverine Cybertruck,
And you’re not getting one, no you’re not getting one,
Cos you are on the welfare,
You’re Dad’s an alcoholic.

P.S. There are photo's of the car showing two separate headlights working.
The light beam across the width of the bonnet is turned off.
But what I'm trying to say is it doesn't have to be. Ford taurus, mercury sable had light bar the whole way across and it was lit while driving.

Reactions: Geo

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
But what I'm trying to say is it doesn't have to be. Ford taurus, mercury sable had light bar the whole way across and it was lit while driving.
Its not the lights that are the issue here - and if they were it'd be a relatively minor thing to fix!

The main difference between US vs Euro, is the Pedestian Protection Regulations which have been around since at least 2005.
Basically means that cars have to be designed to do least amount of damage to pedestrians by having "softer" front ends.
Apparantly, Trump got it all mixed up a few years ago >> https://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyam...rica-first-in-pedestrian-safety/#5b3dc79c2a29

Before looking into this, I had actually thought that the US Auto trade was on par with the euro regs due to what happened back in the 70s with the Rubber Bumper MGs - It was a widely touted story at the time that due to new american safety regs, all imported cars would have to get rid of their steel/chrome bumpers & replace them with rubber items

Reactions: Geo

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The main difference between US vs Euro, is the Pedestian Protection Regulations which have been around since at least 2005.
Those are just ratings, they do not affect if a vehicle will be sold. US vehicles take those tests, fail them, and yet are still sold in the EU. They are given terrible ratings.

-Crissa

wesbell0069

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Aircraft engineer
Country flag
Those are just ratings, they do not affect if a vehicle will be sold. US vehicles take those tests, fail them, and yet are still sold in the EU. They are given terrible ratings.

-Crissa
I always thought commercial vehicles didn't come under the same rules

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I always thought commercial vehicles didn't come under the same rules
That, too.

But you can buy Jeeps and Escalades in the EU and both of those are as severe as the Cybertruck. And don't yet have pedestrian accident-avoidance being built into them.

-Crissa

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag

-Crissa
Fair enough :)
Any idea how something like the Cybertruck would fare in a crash test - do cars still have to have crumple zones over there - just wondering if bulletproof s/steel would absorb frontal energy by deformation?

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Importing vehicles is technically possible, however aside from undertaking the import inspection requirements, there is the fundamental issue of support.

Import an ICE car, then most competent mechanics can fix it, if he/she can get the spare parts.

ICE cars are by and large mechanical devices. I accept this is getting very blurred these days but hopefully you see my point.

Tesla in particular are imo, are more like a computer. Yes it has mechanical parts but neither serviceable by an owner or mechanic in most cases.

Unless the CT is mainstream and local Tesla sourced, it will be a lame duck if it goes wrong without local dealer servicing and support.

If it does go mainstream and fails most of the NCAP requirements, no one will insure it.
This is the point.

We need a euro compliant version that ticks all the required boxes and local dealer supplied, and no amount analysing Elon's exact words about what he did or didn't say is going to change that.

If I had the skills I would do a bubble wrap version! - pun intended ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: