Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
When I go to Burning Man (6 years so far), I keep a low profile coming from the east. I have never been stopped nor searched. Coming from Kalifornia? Ehhhh....
It must be the secret traffic regs from other states: Callfornia envy.

My son was ticketed in Utah, allegedly for over-speeding when there is no speed limit posted anywhere where the town could probably not afford a speed-limit sign. And he cannot be over-speeding even if the limit is 25mph. We are about to park to take a quick coffee off a convenience store.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Nevada has a few quirks they like to stop people for:

You need specific registration to have (not just use) yellow flashers on any moving equipment except four-square hazards. So funky turn signals, non-white offroad lamps, etc, just hanging off can get you pulled over.

They also will search vehicles which have tow-hitch cargo but did not move the plate (and light it) to the back of the cargo. So bike racks and cargo boxes are targets for them.

-Crissa

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
It must be the secret traffic regs from other states: Callfornia envy.

My son was ticketed in Utah, allegedly for over-speeding when there is no speed limit posted anywhere where the town could probably not afford a speed-limit sign. And he cannot be over-speeding even if the limit is 25mph. We are about to park to take a quick coffee off a convenience store.
On a 12 state motorcycle tour regularly exceeding the speed limit by a wide margin, only tickets I got were at a very well used speed trap in Utah, and upon reentering Minnesota, my home at the time. I chalked it up to Utah having Nevada envy around the Silver State Open.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I could certainly use a new video from Todd @cybertrucktruckguy. This winch talk would be a perfect topic to hear his views on. Or even any other topic. Just missing his practical views.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
What's better than lane splitting traffic? Not being in traffic all the time.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I don't like the idea of visualizing CT vs motorbikes. Even worse is CT's sharing a winch cable whilst driving down the freeway because they forgot to disconnect it. 😬

An manufacture integrated winch could include a whole bunch of safety features, in particular to make sure the car doesn't move or get unstable whilst winching it, by simply using existing sensors to cut of power to the winch.

So I suppose nobody wants the SpaceX cold thruster package instead of a winch then? You know to hover out of a bog or be pushed up a hill with no traction?

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So I suppose nobody wants the SpaceX cold thruster package instead of a winch then? You know to hover out of a bog or be pushed up a hill with no traction?
Cold thrusters pushing up a hill with no traction might be cool unless you are towing a trailer.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Being able to filter or split means leaving traffic is easy, no matter where you are in the state.

-Crissa
I still cringe at motorcycles weaving in the freeways. I always ask myself their accident rate and survival on an accident. :eek:

Flew on a country road on a motorcyle when I was in high school. Luckily no broken bone.

A friend had 3 accidents on it, one near fatal, but latest news is that he bought himself a new hog.

I give way and provide them a wide berth when I see them.. But not a few seem to tempt fate or have a death wish.:oops:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I still cringe at motorcycles weaving in the freeways. I always ask myself their accident rate and survival on an accident.
It's been repeatedly proven that lane splitting is much safer than sitting in traffic. This is why my state and others have (belatedly) followed CA in specifically allowing it. Before, we just did it illegally anyway. Laws have very little bearing on actual behavior.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not technically supposed to weave, you're supposed to follow the lines so cars can see you.

Removing motorcycles from the stack of traffic avoids rear-end or end-to-end collisions, while increasing stopping distance for the motorcycles, and the collisions they're more likely to have become glancing blows which are more survivable for the rider.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
This is usually cager-speak for "they are doing something strange and scary." I'm continually amazed at the hundreds or thousands of people hating on lane splitting in online conversations about it, as if it affects them. "But they don't have a right to get ahead of the line." WHAT??

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm continually amazed at the hundreds or thousands of people hating on lane splitting in online conversations about it, as if it affects them. "But they don't have a right to get ahead of the line." WHAT??
But... It does affect them: The motorcycles are no longer in the line which means it's actually faster for the cars because the line is shorter.

-Crissa

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
This is usually cager-speak for "they are doing something strange and scary." I'm continually amazed at the hundreds or thousands of people hating on lane splitting in online conversations about it, as if it affects them. "But they don't have a right to get ahead of the line." WHAT??
"Weave" is my term when a motorcycle cut off infront of me in the freeway. I don't mind them staying in the median. A lot of 'em actual extend their arms to be more visible. But we'll all agree that cutting another motorist, motorcycle or another car, is a dangerous maneuver. And in the case of a motorcycle, he or she is on a disadvantage if an untoward incident happen.
Sponsored