Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Tech officer
Country flag
To match this ingenious high tech truck it would be so cool to be able to have all 4 tow Hook locations be capable of winching. Using the latest technology And making it better by brainstorming is what Tesla does best. I’m thinking Hydraulic winches are best(find me a tow truck without one) If The software techs and mechanical Engineers got together on the Siemens software and designed a new high efficient mini pump that uses the most efficient oil Built into the exoskeleton to rotate a no tangle spool of 12 strand rope with a hook attached that can be used to tow the truck When locked in place or do the towing from all 4 corners. I’m sure they could build it so small the rope would be the biggest component and could use the heat pump to dissipate the heat and make it operate flawless using a wireless remote, main panel or phone app.
Actually this could be an option on all Tesla’s $$ and maybe provide more use on Mars!! Seriously. Think I better climb back into the box LOL
Sponsored

CyberOwl

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
To match this ingenious high tech truck it would be so cool to be able to have all 4 tow Hook locations be capable of winching
I would like to see electromagnets incorporated into the Cyberdesign. Powerful electromagnets could be placed behind the bumper corners, and activated to hold a winch in place.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I would like to see electromagnets incorporated into the Cyberdesign. Powerful electromagnets could be placed behind the bumper corners, and activated to hold a winch in place.
So the next time you park and shut off the truck the winch falls off?

I’m not understanding something about your idea me thinks.

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
Whatever current is required to actually operate the winch, at least that much current would also be required to hold the winch on with electromagnets. You've suggested a very heavy copper replacement for... bolts. Or brackets. Seriously, the electromagnet wouldnt even pick it up off the ground. You would still have to lift the winch into place. Then somehow activate the electromagnet to hold it on. How bout just a drop in bracket to hold the winch with a safety pin.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Theres also a thing called a electro permanent magnet that you can switch on or off and uses no power in either state. It only needs a little power to change state.

But this is fairly mute as stainless steel isn't very magnetic in 30X form, not really at all at 316.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
To match this ingenious high tech truck it would be so cool to be able to have all 4 tow Hook locations be capable of winching. Using the latest technology And making it better by brainstorming is what Tesla does best. I’m thinking Hydraulic winches are best(find me a tow truck without one) If The software techs and mechanical Engineers got together on the Siemens software and designed a new high efficient mini pump that uses the most efficient oil Built into the exoskeleton to rotate a no tangle spool of 12 strand rope with a hook attached that can be used to tow the truck When locked in place or do the towing from all 4 corners. I’m sure they could build it so small the rope would be the biggest component and could use the heat pump to dissipate the heat and make it operate flawless using a wireless remote, main panel or phone app.
Actually this could be an option on all Tesla’s $$ and maybe provide more use on Mars!! Seriously. Think I better climb back into the box LOL
Electric winches are inherently better if there is sufficient current available. Tow trucks have hydraulic winches because they don't have the battery power/electrical system to support a strong enough electric winch. The Cybertruck has plenty of power on tap to run as powerful a winch as one would ever want. Seriously, it has enough power to do sub 3 second 0-60 mph run, tell me that's not enough for a winch!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have worked on high pressure hydraulic systems and I do not want hydraulics if it can be avoided.
I could see a need for disk brakes, but maybe some day someone will create electric disk brakes?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have worked on high pressure hydraulic systems and I do not want hydraulics if it can be avoided.
I could see a need for disk brakes, but maybe some day someone will create electric disk brakes?
The brakes have electric solenoids to activate them automatically. The hydraulic line then lets the different heat-generating parts be distant from each other, so it's simple and an advantage in the case of brakes.

A winch has no such advantage from having the electric motor be a pump instead of direct drive.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Tesla should just make a tractor beam winch.
why is a simple 12v bolt on winch needed when we can make it super complicated?!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The brakes have electric solenoids to activate them automatically. The hydraulic line then lets the different heat-generating parts be distant from each other, so it's simple and an advantage in the case of brakes.

A winch has no such advantage from having the electric motor be a pump instead of direct drive.

-Crissa
The main reason for hydraulic brakes is not because of heat its because of leverage.

Same for a hydraulic winch, where a electric motor that drives the hydraulics doesn't have to be big and powerful nor have a gearbox so it can pull a heavy load.

But I do think a high voltage powered electric winch would be best.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag