JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Crissa, I respect your knowledge and contributions.
Just wanted to point out that 240V in a home is not 3 phase and it definitely is a "Household Voltage" in the US even though US household convenience outlets are 120V.

3 phase is used for generation, long distance transmission, and often (but not always) local distribution, and industrial 480Delta/277v line to line use.
Pole transformers may convert 3 phase distribution to single phase 240v line to line/120v line to neutral at the household level.
If you live in a multi-unit apartment complex in the US, you may actually plug your toaster into a 208Wye/120v line to neutral 3 phase system.

I am not an electrician, so my understanding could be wrong. Please correct my understanding in that case.
The subject was around the perceived safety of 3 Phase 400V for use on a winch.

As a comparison that brought up the subject of 415V 3 phase that is a common supply for Australian houses, not American ones. You are right that a 200V split phase is used in the USA instead, but they also have 3 phase as well.

In Australia nearly all residential supply lines come off a 415V 3 phase underground or overhead power line.

Hence the answer to my quiz on how to measure 240V and 415V from just 4 cables, being L1, L2, L3 for the phases, and 1 neutral, looks like this:

Tesla Cybertruck Winch - What is the priority? images (23)

Note there is no transformer between the 415V and 240V side, it's just that you measure the 415V potential between any of the three L1, L2 and L3 phases, and 240V potential between any of the phases and neutral instead. Hence the terms phase and line voltages.
Sponsored

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
At this point, we're better off going back to politics.

I repeat, I like economics and finance more than politics.

In finance I make money off it. With politics, it's the politicians who makes money (but not from me), specifically the grifting, fraud and scammy ones. :p

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
specifically the grifting, fraud and scammy ones.
So...all of them?

Back to winches, after seven pages, what I'm now convinced of is that the standard, very well tried and proven 12v winch is the best option.

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
So...all of them?

Back to winches, after seven pages, what I'm now convinced of is that the standard, very well tried and proven 12v winch is the best option.
And if your owners manual contains * ?

* Use of any single 12v accessory drawing more than 20A exceeds low voltage system capacity and will void powertrain warranty. Evidence of such abuse will consist of a blown 20A fuse sealed deep within the high voltage battery case for your protection.

Not saying that will happen. But just for funsies, what if?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
And if your owners manual contains * ?

* Use of any single 12v accessory drawing more than 20A exceeds low voltage system capacity and will void powertrain warranty. Evidence of such abuse will consist of a blown 20A fuse sealed deep within the high voltage battery case for your protection.

Not saying that will happen. But just for funsies, what if?
What if a meteor hits your car?

What if pirates commandeer it to attack Denmark?

What if your dog starts up your snowblower and starts using it to chase kids down the block?

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
What if a meteor hits your car?

What if pirates commandeer it to attack Denmark?

What if your dog starts up your snowblower and starts using it to chase kids down the block?
Same answer to all three. Unfortunate for those involved. Funny to everyone watching from the sidelines.

I'm just contemplating what would happen if the worlds most famous electric car company released an electric truck unable to support a standard 12v electric winch, but offered an expensive high voltage winch option instead. It would effectively compel a new revenue stream, supported by Cybertruck owners that need a winch.

I don't want that to happen. I don't think Tesla would allow that to happen. But just in case some exec thinks that would be a good idea, maybe that exec could be included in the white collar layoffs I heard about.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11233

Will the CT at least have frame mounted front tow hooks? Then you could just use one of these cordless models: WARN 885030 PullzAll Cordless 24V DC Portable Electric Winch. In the rear you could connect it to your receiver mounted hitch ball or hook. No electric hookup required. There are similar portable winches powered by attached gasoline motors.

Tesla Cybertruck Winch - What is the priority? pulz all

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I vote for an ac winch, since the power distribution system will already be in the truck.

A traction-voltage dc distribution system would be probably power the best winch, but we don't know if that'll require a specialty shop (and possible warranty risks) to install.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Will the CT at least have frame mounted front tow hooks? Then you could just use one of these cordless models: WARN 885030 PullzAll Cordless 24V DC Portable Electric Winch. In the rear you could connect it to your receiver mounted hitch ball or hook. No electric hookup required. There are similar portable winches powered by attached gasoline motors.

pulz all.jpg
Only up to 1000lb

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Well I tried my artificial muscle and twisting rope winch idea as well, but there was no comment on those. :(

Lets see if a couple more will tickle someones fancy. These don't require egress:
  • Use extending tailgate ramp with hydraulics on telescoping parts to push you along
  • CT track mod
  • SpaceX Cold air thrusters
  • Use underfloor conveyor, or reciprocating sliding plate and airsuspension to walk out of a bog

OP
OP

Deleted member 11233

If I didn't have a winch, I might do less retarded crap off road.

Though, I've actually used mine to rescue others more often than myself.
An old farmer told me "Having four wheel drive just insures you are farther from help when you get stuck," I imagine that applies to winches as well.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
<<<Currently running a 9000lb (on a 3500lb rig) 12v electric for the past 6 years on this ugly beast. Ill tell you what knowing its there gets me into more trouble, because it can usually get me back out. Those times that it cant stories are told because things broke. I am sure at least aftermarket options will come out to support high current 12v DC before long.
Sponsored