Winching...

Deleted member 3316

Lots of ways.

There's the simple mechanical ones, such as bending or wearing the drive shaft in the motor from uneven loading. Then there's complex ones like wearing out the encoder or uneven demagnetization or heat damage to controller coils or capacitors.

I'm not saying I think it's likely, though, just that it's plausible.

-Crissa
I guess it’s good to play devils advocate on these things but I’m pretty sure a competent engineer can solve for failure modes of intermittent use.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
How would you damage the traction motor?
It wasn't damage I had in mind. The traction motors and gearing are designed to transmit power to the wheels of the vehicle and to do so at the maximum possible efficiency and that efficiency is chased to a fraction of a percent. To split the power mechanically would require extra gears, clutches, shafts, bearings etc and even while in the "disconnected" mode those components would introduce losses. That's not acceptable here where every watt counts. In addition you can't put a PTO shaft just anywhere. But you can run wire just anywhere.

Think a bit about the heat pump compressor. Why do you think it is driven by a separate electric motor as opposed to using mechanical takeoff from the traction motor as is done in ICE vehicles?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Having seen a wide variety of electric motors burn out, from aircraft tugs to forklifts to 3/4" drive hammer drills... electric motors can be burnt out. And, I have seen people offroading burn up or otherwise damage gas and diesel engines as well...

Things fail, got abused, or something weird happens and before you know it... blam.

Deleted member 3316

It wasn't damage I had in mind. The traction motors and gearing are designed to transmit power to the wheels of the vehicle and to do so at the maximum possible efficiency and that efficiency is chased to a fraction of a percent. To split the power mechanically would require extra gears, clutches, shafts, bearings etc and even while in the "disconnected" mode those components would introduce losses. That's not acceptable here where every watt counts. In addition you can't put a PTO shaft just anywhere. But you can run wire just anywhere.

Think a bit about the heat pump compressor. Why do you think it is driven by a separate electric motor as opposed to using mechanical takeoff from the traction motor as is done in ICE vehicles?
I hear you. But a heat pump is used every time the vehicle moves. Generally in an ICE vehicle the engine is running the whole time and it’s just advantageous to use an easily controlled electric motor. I believe the Bollinger B1&B2 are going to include a hydraulic winch because they’re using hydro-pneumatic suspension.

A winch “should” realistically only be used a few times a year. Which is why the suboptimal 12v electric motor is used, cheap simple to install aftermarket. The duty cycle and power of a small motor is only just functional for those rare use cases.

The efficiency price is definitely an engineering challenge but considering the use cases a PTO still has merit.

All that said I think Tesla will just provide 110v/240v and control wires to the front/rear and provide user customisable software to control what ever is plugged in to it.
I wonder which aftermarket manufacturers will be the first to build the appropriate winch to utilise it.....!?

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
New Jeep concept Magneto comes with a Warn winch!

Jeep's Magneto Concept Is the Fully Electric Wrangler of the Future
This Wrangler EV matches the stock V-6 model's performance—and it even has a manual transmission.
Tesla Cybertruck Winching... Jeep-Magneto-1

https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeeps-magneto-concept-wrangler-ev-photos-details/

Magneto comes with a 2-inch lift, auxiliary lighting, a roll cage, rock rails, a Warn winch and 35-inch Falken WildPeak mud-terrain tires.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...cepts-magneto-ev-jeepster-wrangler-gladiator/

"it has an electric motor that offers up to 273 pound-feet of torque and 285 horsepower, and it comes equipped with an 800-volt system spread across four battery packs"
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/22/...eto-concept-ev-manual-transmission-stellantis

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
current:outlander phev, next:cybertruck
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
New Jeep concept Magneto comes with a Warn winch!

Jeep's Magneto Concept Is the Fully Electric Wrangler of the Future
This Wrangler EV matches the stock V-6 model's performance—and it even has a manual transmission.
Jeep-Magneto-1.jpg

https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeeps-magneto-concept-wrangler-ev-photos-details/

Magneto comes with a 2-inch lift, auxiliary lighting, a roll cage, rock rails, a Warn winch and 35-inch Falken WildPeak mud-terrain tires.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...cepts-magneto-ev-jeepster-wrangler-gladiator/

"it has an electric motor that offers up to 273 pound-feet of torque and 285 horsepower, and it comes equipped with an 800-volt system spread across four battery packs"
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/22/...eto-concept-ev-manual-transmission-stellantis
the issue is that yes it is a off road capable ev but once you add that manual transmission you have added another level of failure points and second point is cybertruck is dimensions a ex us military humvee which means it can do more things than a wrangler

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I am not a fan of added complexity, but the ability to change gear ratios may prove to be a useful tool for off-roading... but I would need to be convinced.

Might also let them have a slow off-road oriented gears at the low end, but allow for better efficiency the road. (I would need to be shown this)

This is a converted Wrangler... not a production model.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Might also let them have a slow off-road oriented gears at the low end, but allow for better efficiency the road. (I would need to be shown this)
That's basically what it does. Lets you choose the crawl rate mechanically, which also increases the power to the wheels.

-Crissa

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag

Yep, the more moving/working parts the increased chance there is of wasted efficiency, energy and failure.

I did trades for a stint and what I learned was the less complications - on a roof - ( dormers, valleys, skylights...) the better chance exists of no leaks or problems.

Casted parts for Tesla is a great idea.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
As far as I have seen, this is not how Jeep intends for the all electric Wrangler production model to be built. This is a conversion to work as a prototype (and maybe test mule).

I am sure given the history of a diesel jeep and then the all electric Jeep, I could see given that history (and Nikola and the Hummer), I could see them wanting a show worthy concept that actually works, drives around, and is not rendered or a static display mockup.

Deleted member 3316

I am not aware of any deadspace under the cybertruck. between the batteries, vault cover, suspension and storage... unless you mean the storage under the bed and want to use that for the winch...
The Dead space would be between the “penthouse” under the rear seats and the rear motor assembly; as in the space Rivian are using for the gear tunnel in the R1T.
I have a feeling is might be taken up by the tonneau cover, but maybe there’s enough room for another motor and winch spool.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The Dead space would be between the “penthouse” under the rear seats and the rear motor assembly; as in the space Rivian are using for the gear tunnel in the R1T.
I have a feeling is might be taken up by the tonneau cover, but maybe there’s enough room for another motor and winch spool.
I believe that is where the vault cover stores, so not sure of any dead space in the Cybertruck.

TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
It wasn't an engineering thought process.. it was a Dealer relations thought process... i.e. how are we going to keep our Jeep dealers in business with EVs? I got it, transmission repairs.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Several of the racing bikes have transmissions, too.

While an electric motor has a very broad optimal torque and horsepower curves, they're still a narrower range than the vehicles are used.

Tesla solves this with overlapping optimal curves from multiple motors splined together, but this still limits bottom end torque and top end speed.

-Crissa
Sponsored