A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
He's a rescue Bengal........even though he's been neutered he is a rat killing machine.
Well whatever he is he is a very handsome fellow with, evidently, just the right amount of "attitude".

He don't eat them but he'll bring them to you for approval.
When I was a kid our cat got lots of rabbits in the yard. He ate most parts of them but always brought the guts to my mother for approval which he didn't get.

rtfitch

First Name
R.T.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rtfitchauthor.com
Vehicles
2007 Dodge Ram, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Mercury Marauder, 1998 Corvette Pace Car, 2000 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Safety Engineer
Country flag
Big problem in rural areas are rats that chew through automotive wiring harnesses which can cause thousands of dollars in repairs. I've already seen a Youtube video where a Tesla 3's electrical system was destroyed by a rat. The new Cybertruck is going to be used by people that live in rural areas and farm land. I really hope there's some thought that goes into this issue being that the Cybertruck is all electric
We have a farm, 4 car garage with collectables and after I bought my wife a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee it would not shift out of firs;, rat ate the harness. We have critters so poison is not doable but my wife found these ultra-sonic little thingies that you plug into outlets and they are supposed to make rodents and insects go crazy, I thought SHE was crazy but 2 months into this experiment and not a rat or mouse turd to be seen. I was getting tired of cleaning rodent poop of from my Vette's engine.....perhaps she is on to something.

Dalegend27

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I had ground hogs chew through the wiring on my Silverado. Not once, but twice. Had to have it towed both times.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
Not a car, but this “little” punk did 150K worth of damage at work and caused headaches for a few months. I was furious the the company wouldn’t let me send him to a taxidermist so I could leave him out as a warning to others!

Tesla Cybertruck Wire Eating Rats 1B7FA2BF-BD00-4EB9-BAB8-C3CF9FB87FB5

dyldebus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, F-350 TD
Occupation
Software Designer
Country flag
I live on a larger lot in a more rural part of town and we have giant rats. We have had two incidents in our M3. The first we paid for the service center to fix and the second I pulled the trunk and spliced everything myself (much cheaper). It's surprisingly simple under there and it was pretty obvious where the rat chewed.

I also have a Diesel F350 and while they might like the warm compartment, they don't stay inside when the engine bay heats up. Since the Tesla is always nice and cozy they build pretty big nests in there and drive around town with you.

Also, the wiring on the Model 3 is apparently soy based which they find delicious.

Since then I have sprayed the entire area under the trunk with peppermint oil and did a paper mâché with bounty dryer sheets. No problems since then but we've also put commercial poison traps out.

Tesla is not immune!

XB12R

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 2 Motor, 2010 Suburban, 2014 Honda CTX1300, 2007 Buell XB12R
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Also, the wiring on the Model 3 is apparently soy based which they find delicious.
Ask any owner of a 1992 S Series Mercedes what they think of bean/corn based wire sheath throughout the entire car. It's just another $12,000 bill after the critters, age, heat or short circuits gets to it. Been there, done that on my 600SEL after it turned 10 years old with only 80K miles on it.
Porcupines like rubber brake lines too. You figure that one out fairly fast when the pedal drops to the floor.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
We have a farm, 4 car garage with collectables and after I bought my wife a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee it would not shift out of firs;, rat ate the harness. We have critters so poison is not doable but my wife found these ultra-sonic little thingies that you plug into outlets and they are supposed to make rodents and insects go crazy, I thought SHE was crazy but 2 months into this experiment and not a rat or mouse turd to be seen. I was getting tired of cleaning rodent poop of from my Vette's engine.....perhaps she is on to something.
We use these sonic mouse deterrent at work and they do work great.

Noncorporeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2010 Toyota Venza, 2007 Honda Element, 2021 CT dual motor
Country flag
Big problem in rural areas are rats that chew through automotive wiring harnesses which can cause thousands of dollars in repairs. I've already seen a Youtube video where a Tesla 3's electrical system was destroyed by a rat. The new Cybertruck is going to be used by people that live in rural areas and farm land. I really hope there's some thought that goes into this issue being that the Cybertruck is all electric
Well tesla’s right now have flat bottoms with no holes. So there is no little holes or exposed areas for rats to crawl up under your car like ICE cars. Also, many of the wires used in tesla’s are a lot thicker than the wires in ICE cars as tesla acknowledges how wire dependent their cars are.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I should have known better to read these comments. Now I am getting ads with pictures of rats and my wife is not happy.

But it really is a good topic. critters do crawl into spaces in vehicles and where critters go so does water and dirt. Suspension is hard to enclose but an EV can be sealed up (yes, even float) as they don't need to aspirate or require significant cooling.

gernreich

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model3 AWD
Occupation
computers
Country flag
Rats ate our irish spring soap!

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And now they smell magically delicious.
Ultrasonic rat and mice device, either plugged directly into the CT so always there wherever you park up or in the garage connected to the house wiring.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ultrasonic rat and mice device, either plugged directly into the CT so always there wherever you park up or in the garage connected to the house wiring.
Those have diminishing returns; as the critters find it's not a worry, they become accustomed (or deaf) to them.

Best to just armor up. Keep patrols (predators). And reduce attractants.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Yes, absolutely the wires & all tubing (coolant/ brakes, etc) need to be rat/mouse/squirrel proof.

What is the point of having apocalypse outdoor vehicle body that is dent resistant and bullet resistant to 9mm but can easily be made immobile by any random rat/mouse/squirrel.

The Cybertruck could be sitting in the brush for days or weeks without being moved while owners are out hiking. It is unacceptable that they return and find the Cybertruck immobilized.
Sponsored