Would you convert your tri motor res for a quad?

Will you upgrade to the quad Plaid with the assumptions given:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
How do I vote when the whole poll is filled with bugbears?

Tesla might increase the price of the tri-motor for the extra motor, or they might keep it the same which would match Rivian’s offering.

Plaid will certainly be more expensive, but then it might not even be the first vehicle to ship, or both may ship at the same time.

It also includes the hard solar tonneau.
This is almost certainly not a thing either.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
How do I vote when the whole poll is filled with bugbears?

Tesla might increase the price of the tri-motor for the extra motor, or they might keep it the same which would match Rivian’s offering.

Plaid will certainly be more expensive, but then it might not even be the first vehicle to ship, or both may ship at the same time.

This is almost certainly not a thing either.
The poll covered these in assumptions. Assumptions are free and applied liberally.

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
This is just wrong.

Do some research. People paid pre-order prices for the Model 3. It was even available for some time after at those prices.
wrong? you do the research. no one who reserved the 35k model 3 back in 2017 got their model 3's for 35k. the same complaints everyone has now about upping the price was still happening back then. 35k promised, when produced it was priced at 50k starting

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
wrong? you do the research. no one who reserved the 35k model 3 back in 2017 got their model 3's for 35k. the same complaints everyone has now about upping the price was still happening back then. 35k promised, when produced it was priced at 50k starting
Yes they did.

It was not only available to original reservation holders, but purchasable as an off-menu option for some time afterwards.

This isn’t hard to chase down.

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes they did.

It was not only available to original reservation holders, but purchasable as an off-menu option for some time afterwards.

This isn’t hard to chase down.
that is a 2020 article and exactly proves my point. by 2020 reservation holders from the unveiling already had their models 3's. the model 3 came out with the 35k version about a year after unveil probably early 2019. NO $35k model 3's were sold within the first 50k. when they started being produced they were 50k for the LR RWD and the performance was upwards of 70k. that is why i am saying the cybertruck unveiling prices will not be what the truck costs atleast for the first thousands. once they have production in order we can expect that CT unveiling price.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
that is a 2020 article and exactly proves my point. by 2020 reservation holders from the unveiling already had their models 3's. the model 3 came out with the 35k version about a year after unveil probably early 2019. NO $35k model 3's were sold within the first 50k. when they started being produced they were 50k for the LR RWD and the performance was upwards of 70k. that is why i am saying the cybertruck unveiling prices will not be what the truck costs atleast for the first thousands. once they have production in order we can expect that CT unveiling price.
I don’t remotely follow what you are trying to say here.

People who pre-ordered got their Model 3s for the price they pre-ordered them for.

None of your numbers make sense with regards to the Model 3.

Maybe you have some article or source you want to quote here because what you are saying just doesn’t follow reality.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There is a good rundown of Model 3 pricing here on Car and Driver’s site. Car and Driver’s site.

I think we are talking past each other. The impression I got was that you feel they never offered the Model 3 at $35k. Are you just talking about the fact that they didn’t offer the base price until later in the process?

If so, Tesla has already said the base $39k Cybertruck won’t be built until the end of the process.

Last edited:

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
After I realized Ford would allow dealers to price gouge on the lightning, I decided I would pay whatever Tesla wants for whatever trim they can offer me at the time they call/email me to convert my reservation into an order. I reserved a dual motor but I will take whichever they offer me first whether it’s a dual, tri, quad, or plaid and I will pay any price within reason. Anything except the single because 4WD is an absolute necessity for me. I am done with traditional dealerships. If I am going to give away money I would rather give it to Mr. Musk to build space ships than give it to price gougers.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
For the poll assume

- the new quad has the same 500 mile range but a 0-60 of 2.4 seconds and can do a tank turn. It also includes the hard solar tonneau. Off road tires are an upgrade and you loose 50 miles of range.
- Tesla maintains the existing 3 trims for close to the reservation price... maybe $5k higher for each with 4WS.
- that your existing tri motor reservation is bumped 6 months from when you otherwise would have received it.
- you actually had the difference in money sitting there. Not flush, but you had it available in a pinch.
- FSD is at the price you reserved at and is addition
- Tesla follows the reservation # system in order and allows anybody to upgrade regardless as to existing trim level. So by upgrading the Plaid you skip to the front.

I think the quad offering is somewhat genius once again. The productions cost won be that much higher maybe $8k (excluding development). A lot of people will opt for the upgrade just to have the best, a lot of people will opt for the upgrade to get their CT faster. These people will voluntarily pay more for more. Telsa will keep the high end market share until that is completely saturated. This will make it less likely that people will flip their CT and will also allow Tesla to honor their lower price offerings.
It's a dumb poll because there's no way the Quad motor is going to be over $100K. But, yeah, I would pay up to $200K if necessary to get it ASAP. ?

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
There is a good rundown of Model 3 pricing here on Car and Driver’s site. Car and Driver’s site.

I think we are talking past each other. The impression I got was that you feel they never offered the Model 3 at $35k. Are you just talking about the fact that they didn’t offer the base price until later in the process?

If so, Tesla has already said the base $39k Cybertruck won’t be built until the end of the process.
Gotcha, I see your confusion. I wasn’t trying to say they never offered the $35k model 3 cause we all know they did. What I am saying is when the model 3 was first unveiled, at the unveiling event Tesla put the prices just like the Cybertruck unveiling. When those first thousands of model 3’s came out that first batch the prices were higher than the unveiling prices. Higher for all 3 trims. The base model 3 started at $50k when unveiling Elon said base would be $35k.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Gotcha, I see your confusion. I wasn’t trying to say they never offered the $35k model 3 cause we all know they did. What I am saying is when the model 3 was first unveiled, at the unveiling event Tesla put the prices just like the Cybertruck unveiling. When those first thousands of model 3’s came out that first batch the prices were higher than the unveiling prices. Higher for all 3 trims. The base model 3 started at $50k when unveiling Elon said base would be $35k.
Eh. I think you are going sideways here.

If you pre-ordered a car, you got what you ordered. There might have been the option to upgrade, but eventually they filled all the tiers out.

They didn’t say “All configurations would be $35k”, it was clear from the start that LR AWD was going to be more expensive.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Extra bonus note: Quad comes with a free Cyberquad.

Source: I know a guy that makes things up.
Extra bonus note: Quad comes with a free Cyberquad.

Source: I know a guy that makes things up.
*Not everyone is twenty years old like you are. I’m a senior and wouldn’t dare injure my old body trying to balance myself on the Quad RTV. Just offer me free Supercharging. That, everyone can relate to.
Sponsored