Yoke Steering Wheel in S, X Cybertruck. NHTSA says, ‘What you talking ‘bout, Elon?!”

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
And this just in:

Tesla Yoke Is Perfectly Legal For Use Across Europe, Including UK
https://insideevs.com/news/486604/tesla-yoke-legal-europe-uk/

By: Andrei Nedelea
February 8, 2021

European regulations don’t really specify what shape a steering... device needs to be.

Many people who found Tesla’s steering wheel-replacing yoke a joke expressed their view that its shape may constitute a safety risk and that some governing bodies will outlaw it. Well, Europe has some of the most stringent regulations when it comes to what can go on a modern production car, yet there is nothing to stipulate that the apparatus you steer with needs to be round, or any specific shape, really.

The Sunday Times, whose aim was to see if the U-shaped yoke was legal in the United Kingdom (which it is), pointed to European Union regulations (still applied in post-Brexit Britain) that allow any shape helm as long as you can’t impale yourself on it in the event of a crash. This means that the yoke is legal not only in the UK, but throughout the European Union.

Meanwhile, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States is more conservative. In an official response regarding the yoke situation, the NTHSA issued a statement saying

At this time, NHTSA cannot determine if the steering wheel meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. We will be reaching out to the automaker for more information.

It would be downright amusing if the yoke got the green light for Europe and other markets, but be quashed in Tesla’s home market. The same article in The Sunday Times points out that while the yoke is officially legal in Europe, Tesla will have a bigger problem convincing officials that the new gaming system doesn’t present a safety issue.

The problem it may pose is due to the fact that any occupant in the car, regardless where they sit, will be able to play games on the central screen. This wouldn’t really be a problem if games would only work when the vehicle is stationary, but Tesla has so far not detailed this - for instance, having the front passenger play games on the main screen, while the car is in motion, may be seen as a distraction for the driver and deemed a safety risk.

Source: The Sunday Times
Sponsored

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
And this just in:

Tesla Yoke Is Perfectly Legal For Use Across Europe, Including UK
https://insideevs.com/news/486604/tesla-yoke-legal-europe-uk/

By: Andrei Nedelea
February 8, 2021

European regulations don’t really specify what shape a steering... device needs to be.

Many people who found Tesla’s steering wheel-replacing yoke a joke expressed their view that its shape may constitute a safety risk and that some governing bodies will outlaw it. Well, Europe has some of the most stringent regulations when it comes to what can go on a modern production car, yet there is nothing to stipulate that the apparatus you steer with needs to be round, or any specific shape, really.

The Sunday Times, whose aim was to see if the U-shaped yoke was legal in the United Kingdom (which it is), pointed to European Union regulations (still applied in post-Brexit Britain) that allow any shape helm as long as you can’t impale yourself on it in the event of a crash. This means that the yoke is legal not only in the UK, but throughout the European Union.

Meanwhile, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States is more conservative. In an official response regarding the yoke situation, the NTHSA issued a statement saying

At this time, NHTSA cannot determine if the steering wheel meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. We will be reaching out to the automaker for more information.

It would be downright amusing if the yoke got the green light for Europe and other markets, but be quashed in Tesla’s home market. The same article in The Sunday Times points out that while the yoke is officially legal in Europe, Tesla will have a bigger problem convincing officials that the new gaming system doesn’t present a safety issue.

The problem it may pose is due to the fact that any occupant in the car, regardless where they sit, will be able to play games on the central screen. This wouldn’t really be a problem if games would only work when the vehicle is stationary, but Tesla has so far not detailed this - for instance, having the front passenger play games on the main screen, while the car is in motion, may be seen as a distraction for the driver and deemed a safety risk.

Source: The Sunday Times
According to this Motor Trend article NHTSA never specified either
https://www.motortrend.com/news/202...he law isn't totally,the necessary shape of a

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I dont really like the no physical button for selecting drive modes. Seems far less simple to rely on another system to pick and choose. People always quote elons "best part is no part" but i would argue this is adding, not subtracting...But I guess they have to prepare and test full autonomous car stuff someway.

Perhaps you will be able to say "shift to reverse." and it will, kinda cool.
They will have buttons but on screen like most everything in a Tesla.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
So then the screen must not go out or break :ROFLMAO:
I'm all for new change, this simulation we live in needs some changes :unsure::alien::geek:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So then the screen must not go out or break :ROFLMAO:
One can say the same thing for buttons on the dash.

I broke the slider on my Mazda's stick shift!

Well...
  1. It doesn't block line of sight. Mine blocks part of the dash display.
  2. You always know which way is up on the steering wheel. You can't forget its orientation.
  3. Your hands are always in the right position for the airbag. No arm propelled into the face in a collision.

I'm sure there are others.

-Crissa

AMTT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford campervan, Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On electronically controlled steering you can program a greater ratio of turn at slow speeds so that your tight turn can be accomplished with less rotation of the steering mechanism. At higher speeds less rotation....

It can also be programed so the more the yoke is rotated, the wheels are turned at an increasing ratio.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
im game for the half wheel on my CT, game for the buttons for PDRN too.....it's change, sure it'll be weird, but sure I'll adapt, like I did to my M3P setup.....I like the thought of the half wheel for visibility, and exp on the S/X so you can see the dash screen for the first time in history! Bring it on!

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I typically drive with my hands in the yoke position anyway.

Looking at the reveal night videos of people doing test rides you see the driver making U-turns with zero trouble. He is smooth and flows naturally. Relax, people. Time to enjoy the 21st century. Besides, soon enough you won’t be touching the damn thing anyway.

Deleted member 5322

.. I like the yoke wheel and hope it will be the standard option on the CT. :)
I personally like the idea to have a yoke as well as ‘normal’ steering wheel. Which one i would choose? It is really hard question for me at this moment. Have never tried yoke and i feel kind of scary or uncomfortable with it. I would like to test it for a week or so and then make my choice.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I made that tight three point turn as fast as I possibly could, and as I was pulling away unscathed, had to wonder what might have happened if I had to take the extra time that I _think_ I would need if my steering wheel had been a yoke. I had to go lock-to-lock twice, as fast as possible.
I had the same concern but look at the beginning of this video. This guy does not seem to have any problem doing a 360 with Yoke. The clean line of sight is worth a small learing curve for me. I rarely use top of my steering wheel now.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
On electronically controlled steering you can program a greater ratio of turn at slow speeds so that your tight turn can be accomplished with less rotation of the steering mechanism. At higher speeds less rotation....

It can also be programed so the more the yoke is rotated, the wheels are turned at an increasing ratio.
Chrysler implemented it in hydraulics in the 60’s. Its called progressive ratio.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
You just can't beat the Feng shui ( 風水). Who wants to stare at top of a steering wheel on a six hour road trip. Look at how clean this looks. Of course if you don't like clean, you can use the big table in front of you anyway you like because you don't have a big intrusive wheel blocking you. Imagine what you can do with that open space while you are waiting at the supercharger.

Tesla Cybertruck Yoke Steering Wheel in S, X Cybertruck. NHTSA says, ‘What you talking ‘bout, Elon?!” 1615388003316

I think this is Tesla's plan for FSD adoption. Taking the steering away a little at a time.
Sponsored