Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, model 3 and model S
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for giving us feedback from actual experience instead of the rest of us stating our guesses as fact.

I have one question, if you don't mind me asking. Do you ever signal WHILE turning. For example, If I turn right onto a road with multiple lanes I always (unlike many) turn into the right most lane, then signal to change lanes to the left one if needed. Often I signal for the lane change while I"m still in the process of turning right. I'm afraid that with the steering wheel not centered it may take some extra brain power to find the left signal button. Have you experienced this?
[/QUOTE
To be honest, I can’t say that I consciously do what you are describing, but I don’t think it’s going to be a problem for you.
I will say that when changing lanes on your own (no self drive activated), sometimes you have to cancel the turn signal by pressing it a second time. If you turn the steering far enough when changing lanes it will cancel itself but not always. That is the only negative feedback I have regarding the stalkless Yoke steering.

Michael Dobbs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
Yeah I completely agree with you, it's not practical to spin the yoke around but people have gotten used to it. I'll basically buy whatever Tesla is selling :). But you're right, I do hope its variable and not more than 90 0 90 in most situations.
Having an S with a yoke, I can say that I believe people are going to have a much harder time getting used to variable steer by wire than spinning the yoke in parking/slow speed situations.

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck will have yoke steering wheel, Elon Musk says will be a ‘tech bandwagon’

November 29, 2021

Elon Musk confirmed that the Tesla Cybertruck will have a yoke steering wheel, and he also said that the electric pickup truck will be a “technology bandwagon.”

It could mean that it will have a better version of the new steering wheel.

When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck prototype in 2019, it featured a butterfly steering wheel, or what Tesla calls a “yoke” wheel.

It wasn’t that big of a deal since the vehicle was still only a prototype and production is still in the future.

But Tesla brought the yoke steering wheel to the production versions of the refreshed Model S and Model X.

It was a controversial move both due to the lack of stalks on the wheel with the inputs, like the turn signals being replaced by force touch buttons, and due to the shape, which removes space to grab the wheel.

The latter can make it more difficult to maneuver at slower speeds and when slipping on ice.

On the other hand, the only advantages are the look, which is a matter of perception, and the fact that it enables a better view of the instrument cluster.

The main complaint from Tesla buyers has been the lack of the yoke being an option, especially since Tesla has been spotted testing the new Model S with a regular wheel prior to the launch.

Now Musk was asked about the Cybertruck getting the yoke steering wheel, and he appears to confirm that it will have the yoke steering wheel:

The CEO added that the Cybertruck will bring a lot of new technology:

He didn’t elaborate on what technology, but he seemed to give a clue regarding the steering wheel.

We thought that Tesla wouldn’t risk bringing the controversial yoke steering wheel to market without a non-linear steering curve enabled by a steer-by-wire system. Especially knowing that Tesla has been developing a steer-by-wire system.

However, as Tesla started deliveries of the new Model S Plaid last month, we were surprised to see that the wheel had a normal 14.0:1 steering ratio, and it’s proving to be impractical at lower speeds.

Musk later confirmed that Tesla is indeed working on progressive steering, but he said that it’s still years away.

Today, in connection to the yoke steering wheel, Musk did say that steer-by-wire would be “ideal”:

If the Cybertruck is going to be a new “technology bandwagon,” could it become Tesla’s first vehicle to get steer-by-wire?

Tesla is expected to bring the Cybertruck to market by the end of next year, but Musk said that he will give a product road map update early in 2022.
Having a yoke steering wheel (oxymoron) doesn't bother me as there are millions of planes flying with not many problems. The CT was supposed to be revolutional by design so all te speculation and right now that's all it is, will solidify once the production models roll out the factory. Every auto manufacturer rolls out pre-production models and there are some items that will change as a result of it. So as I have said before sit back and let the show go on....

Michael Dobbs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
Hi Bill, over this past weekend I tried doing what you asked. The answer is yes, you can press the other direction turn signal and it will cancel the first and go to the other?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Hi Bill, over this past weekend I tried doing what you asked. The answer is yes, you can press the other direction turn signal and it will cancel the first and go to the other?

Thanks. I assumed it would. The question was more about how awkward it is to try to find the left button when the steering wheel isn’t pointing forward. In my car (along with virtually every other car) no matter how hard you have the wheel turned, the signal control is always the lever on the left. With the yoke. If the yoke is turned 90º the left signal control is at the top. If turning more than 90º the left signal is somewhere to the right.

Thank you for testing though. Very appreciated.

Michael Dobbs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
Thanks. I assumed it would. The question was more about how awkward it is to try to find the left button when the steering wheel isn’t pointing forward. In my car (along with virtually every other car) no matter how hard you have the wheel turned, the signal control is always the lever on the left. With the yoke. If the yoke is turned 90º the left signal control is at the top. If turning more than 90º the left signal is somewhere to the right.

Thank you for testing though. Very appreciated.
To be honest, that one is a little more tricky to get used to.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I have a model S with yoke steering wheel. I have no problems in slow speed situations and the stalkless configuration took about 5 minutes for me to get used to.
I don’t think it’s going to be a problem for 99% of buyers….
Hey Michael. Are you by any chance executing a hand-over-hand similar to the video below? Only modifications is that when initiating the overhand part, it is grabbing the 9 or 3 position of the yoke.

I have yet to see anyone execute hand-over-hand with the yoke properly and I think all of the complaints about it stem from the fact that most people have not mastered this technique , lt alone properly applied it to the yoke. In spite of the lack of variable steering, the other good thing about Tesla's smaller steering ratios is that lock-to-lock on the wheel is just over 2-turns.

Michael Dobbs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
Good point! I’m in my 60’s, so when I learned to drive it was 10&2 not 9&3?
However, I know we all should still have used the proper hand over hand method for turning.
In a parking lot, or as mentioned by another earlier response, backing up a trailer may become an issue for some?
To be honest, when in a parking lot, I can usually palm the yoke with one hand?
On the street I haven’t experienced too many occasions where I need to turn the yoke more than maybe 110 degrees…..
That’s in the S. Can’t say it will be directly comparable to the bigger heavier CT????? Hopefully I’ll find out before 2030 ?

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Started watching the "Knight Rider" series now streaming on Netflix. Very corny mostly, which is most of the entertainment.

It is amazing how much of the technology envisioned in the 80's is now part of Tesla or planned for Cybertruck. Yes, KITT had a yoke steering wheel.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I have 4 vehicles without power steering, and hand over hand is/was how we mastered "Armstrong" steering.

What's old is new again.

Not to mention 260 AC also...........................

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Good point! I’m in my 60’s, so when I learned to drive it was 10&2 not 9&3?
However, I know we all should still have used the proper hand over hand method for turning.
In a parking lot, or as mentioned by another earlier response, backing up a trailer may become an issue for some?
To be honest, when in a parking lot, I can usually palm the yoke with one hand?
On the street I haven’t experienced too many occasions where I need to turn the yoke more than maybe 110 degrees…..
That’s in the S. Can’t say it will be directly comparable to the bigger heavier CT????? Hopefully I’ll find out before 2030 ?
Thanks!! I guess video evidence of yoke + hand-over-hand will continue to evade me for now. The World search continues until I get to try the yoke myself. I've been practicing with a regular steering wheel; holding only at 9 and 3; full turn as far as I can in either direction with the opposing hand; and then grabbing the wheel with the inside turning hand at the 10 and 2 position; follow through, then turn back to centre. So far it seems to work.

Obviously variable steer ratios and a slightly smaller yoke diameter would improve ergonomics and provide more visibility to the centre-screen.
Sponsored